Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

8901 - 8920 of 8934 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Funny last night on FB a guy keeps blowing fuse so he tucks it to a shop. and they found whoever add the amp ran the ground wire to the plastic inner fairing :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
That's hilarious.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Did my 30,000 mile oil change today and picked up and installed a Cross Country Tour seat to try out before my June 5000 trip.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Over the last few days, I changed the fork oil in my 2010 Cross Roads, (41,000 mi. since last change). Took it for a 194 mile test ride and very happy with the results. Just a little bit stiffer as expected.

The old oil was not very dark and no foul smell.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Over the last few days, I changed the fork oil in my 2010 Cross Roads, (41,000 mi. since last change). Took it for a 194 mile test ride and very happy with the results. Just a little bit stiffer as expected.

The old oil was not very dark and no foul smell.
How often do you usually change that? The book change interval seems just a play to get dealers more money.

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
what!....ya cant earth to plastic?

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
How often do you usually change that? The book change interval seems just a play to get dealers more money.
Seems that way, but its not really, once you change it you notice the difference.
Go to a quality full synthetic and it lasts longer.
My Vegas USDs are a bit overdue still have the stock dishslop in them, been lazy and riding the XC a lot more since I got it.
It had a dealer fork seal and fluid change just b4 I bought it.
But Ive racked up a few miles since then, so Id better look into fork oil change on USD forks before too long.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Yeah 30,,000 at least. I have a new fuel filter and the book says to change it at 30 or 35 thousand miles. I'll do mine at 50 thousand which I'm almost there.

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
I believe the book says 15,000 mi. for the fork oil change. I think most owners are going with 30,000.
Most owners would never touch them I reckon.
Geeze I never changed fork oil on any motorcycle I ever owned before the Victory!

·
13,048 Posts
I have owned HD's for many many years and on their bikes, they don't have such ridicules change intervals.
How many different bikes have you owned and have they have had stupid intervals? I look at 5 or 6 different fork oil products and not one says when to change their oil. When I work for an aftermarket shop for 10 years I did a lot of fork oil changes. I checked for bushing tolerance at 75K and found they lost maybe 3 thousand. The bushings are an oil light bushing so there self lubing but vic says you have to change them. Back in the day, we used tranie flued with no problem and they didn't have bushings.
So I think you should change them when YOU feel you should. I wonder how many change fork oil but have never changed brake fluid

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have owned HD's for many many years and on their bikes, they don't have such ridicules change intervals.
How many different bikes have you owned and have they have had stupid intervals? I look at 5 or 6 different fork oil products and not one says when to change their oil. When I work for an aftermarket shop for 10 years I did a lot of fork oil changes. I checked for bushing tolerance at 75K and found they lost maybe 3 thousand. The bushings are an oil light bushing so there self lubing but vic says you have to change them. Back in the day, we used tranie flued with no problem and they didn't have bushings.
So I think you should change them when YOU feel you should. I wonder how many change fork oil but have never changed brake fluid
I do forks every 4 years brake fluid every 2... perhaps to soon...but works for me...8) oil never goes over 5000 miles....air filter every second oil change...

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Yeah 30,,000 at least. I have a new fuel filter and the book says to change it at 30 or 35 thousand miles. I'll do mine at 50 thousand which I'm almost there.
I was thinking 30k. Bike is in 20's now and not sure if previous owner did it on Vic schedule. I'll have to look up how it's done on this bike.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I ordered 2 of the Indian Challenger Fork protectors for my XC today. They are only about $8.49 a piece. Even the Indian parts guy was amazed they were so cheap. They will be in next week to pick up. When I get them I'll take a couple pictures.

Also took a moment to sit on a Challenger while I was there. There is definitely less leg room than my XC but they said they have an optional seat that will sit you 2 inches further back.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I guess I should have put the part number for the Challenger Fork Guards in my first post. Part number 5455260.

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
I was thinking 30k. Bike is in 20's now and not sure if previous owner did it on Vic schedule. I'll have to look up how it's done on this bike.
Think longer than that if yr fussy about fuel quality filling up.
Like not when theyre getting a delivery .
Some guys here have gone over 100K I did mine at 60K miles with a generic, non OEM filter.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
I'm going to ride my XC today. Temperature is suppose to be in the low 70's. I guess I should check my tire air pressures. Haven't checked it since the Big Bend trip in October last year. I'm going to ride to a bar about 50 miles from my house and have a burger and a beer. Take the back roads, that will make it about 10 miles further and give me a 120 mile round trip run. That should charge up the battery good.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Think longer than that if yr fussy about fuel quality filling up.
Like not when theyre getting a delivery .
Some guys here have gone over 100K I did mine at 60K miles with a generic, non OEM filter.
Sorry was referring to forks. Fuel filter is another thing I'll have to look into eventually. The bike seems to run fine so I'll worry about it later. Premium fuel is full of detergents and stuff and I usually avoid the shady looking gas pumps. Haha.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Got it running again the positive cable had worked a little loose

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
8901 - 8920 of 8934 Posts