Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

9021 - 9040 of 9042 Posts

·
13,172 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but what are the IAC tubes, I’m having some similar popping when shifting, hard on throttle prior to shifting and after, retuning my bike helped some. My engine is fairly modified so I expect some popping/backfires but I’d like to research these a bit more, couldn’t find them on Witchdoctors site. Thanks.
All vic's pop cause the IAV doesn't act fast enough. Try a mild speed shift and popping should all most stop

·
Registered
245 Posts
Oil change, tires filled/checked, spring checkover, shakedown ride last Saturday into Sunday morning. Sunday I dropped the wife on the back and went for first ride of the year. Hopefully more riding this weekend, I think she (bike and more importantly my wife) need some more wind therapy after an (already) rough week between work and kids.

·
Premium Member
8,938 Posts
Wind therapy works every time. I try to get it daily.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Added some Kuryakyn black toe rest pegs to my crash bars, and practiced social distancing by taking my bike out for a 225 mile trip exploring some lonely rural roads I'd never been down before. Scenery and the ride were awesome, as always.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Planning to do a tire change by myself. Any suggestions for breaking the bead and resetting the bead.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,560 Posts
Planning to do a tire change by myself. Any suggestions for breaking the bead and resetting the bead.
A C-clamp with 2x4 will do it. Not fancy but works. Breaking the bead is the easiest part.

I have only changed tires on a bike one time and had nothing but strings of four letter words from the experience.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I agree with IndyX and depot picker. I removed one tire from the rim one time by hand and lost 10 lbs in sweat. Never again. For ~$30, a local place will remove the old tire , put on the new tire, and spin balance it. Of course, I have to bring them the wheel/tire off the bike.

The one time I removed a tire, I did so by putting it under the tow hitch of my SUV. I used a long (~8 ft) piece of 4 x 4 lumber as the lever and put a short (~1.5 ft) piece of 2 x 4 lumber under the lever. The hitch was the fulcrum and I pushed down on the end of the 4 x 4 which put tremendous force on the 2 x 4 which was positioned to press on the tire edge of the wheel/tire that was laying on the driveway below the trailer hitch.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well I have an old manual beadbreaker from before the days of pneumatic tyre machines, but that's not helping you. The 2 lengths of wood mentioned will work, but I suggest loosely bolting them together. Even better, loosely bolt the end of the long lever to a wall stud, or a bolted down heavy workbench. That removes 2 potential sources of injury. Use the longest tyre levers you can get, 32 inches at least, preferably ones with Teflon coated tips. It is easier if you remove the pulley of background wheel, or 1 disc if front, might want to have a set of mounting bolts ready for the disc if what the Manuel says worries you. Resetting the bead, have a high flow compressor, a bucket of hot soapy water to lubricate the beads, and a strong ratchet strap to restrain the centre of the tyre. Don't be tempted to do explosive tyre fitting using hairspray, it's dangerous fun but your wife will be upset at you using herspray. I ran Darkside for 60000 KMs and had to fit all 5 tyres, no shop would touch them, afraid of contagion. Had to fix 12 punctures in that time, 6 at the roadside, 2 at night, wire wheels + inner tubes, so full tyre removal needed. Lots of rough dirt roads, sharp rock fragments mostly, in places where a 20 km walk was needed to get phone reception. It's a good skill to practice and have, but if you can get a shop to do it for 50 bucks, it's a real bargain. Good luck.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Got it done by myself on Saturday. I was going Darkside so there were no shops around me that I could find to do it. I did spend a large part of my day breaking the bead, getting the tire off and installing the Avid Ascend GT 195/55R16. Doing the front tire next weekend but I'll take the advice and take it somewhere. It's a but kicker!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I rode around to the front of the school and pointed and clicked. Then off to a couple of days work at Obi keeping the firebreak around the house clear. All indications are for an early start to bushfire season in spring.
Rode home last night, air temp 15 C when I got back, about a day off full moon so a lovely bright night with a cloudless sky, countryside all lit up, Skippy and his mates nowhere in sight.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Started yesterday changing my oil. Still working on it...

IMG_20200521_142347.jpg
20200522_202004-COLLAGE.jpg

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ordered victory stereo mod from Dave Azzopardi. Pioneer head unit modified so you adhere the faceplate onto the the same area as stock units screen, remove the blank button plates. Everything else gets tucked into the fairing. Very excited to raise my sound system game some more after getting RF amp and 6.5s in the fairing last year or the year before.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Changed my oil. Collected a sample for analysis. I do this for my truck since new so might as well for the bike.

Do people really fool with getting exactly 100% top full line on oil changes?
I've always been of the thought that if you between the lines don't mess with it.
I'm maybe 1/4 qt from that top full line and in all likelihood I would end up overfilling trying to hit that. Not worth fooling with it. 1 gallon and done.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Changed my oil. Collected a sample for analysis. I do this for my truck since new so might as well for the bike.

Do people really fool with getting exactly 100% top full line on oil changes?
I've always been of the thought that if you between the lines don't mess with it.
I'm maybe 1/4 qt from that top full line and in all likelihood I would end up overfilling trying to hit that. Not worth fooling with it. 1 gallon and done.
I prefer to the same way you do.

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Anywhere between the lines is what I aim for. Usually takes only 1 gallon.

·
Registered
193 Posts
419 miles round trip for lunch by the Gulf.

Nice. How was the fresh fish?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Nice. How was the fresh fish?
I had tuna that had been caught a 9:30 am that morning. The wife had redfish that had been caught the evening before. Both were phenomenal.

9021 - 9040 of 9042 Posts