Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

9121 - 9139 of 9139 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Maybe check Vic werks. They have been selling calipers cheap which I'm sure have pins.
yeah, I’ve thought about them, and I’ll probably go that route if I can’t find them new. I’d really like to have a source for them new, though, if I can find them.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Yesterday I checked tire pressure, wiped it down and rode.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
yeah, I’ve thought about them, and I’ll probably go that route if I can’t find them new. I’d really like to have a source for them new, though, if I can find them.
If you find one be sure to have it listed in the parts thread. Does anyone know how made the calipers for Victory?

Reactions: otab

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,668 Posts
I believe same company that made the calipers on my Honda. Maybe I can see if pins are same. Not had any issues with sticking pins yet though.

Reactions: otab and NAB

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Found two potential sources for new replacement XC front caliper brake pad pins. I ordered a sample from each, and I'll report back if either one is a success.

Note: one of them is a Honda part. Thanks for the pointer @IndyVictory :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you find one be sure to have it listed in the parts thread. Does anyone know how made the calipers for Victory?
Pretty sure they are Nissin calipers. The one time I bought Victory branded replacement pads, they cami in a kit with O rings, pin, finger springs, pads and some grease. The pads were branded Nissin on the back, part # TT2701 HH
They appear to be the ones used on some early 21st century Kawasaki's, some Triumphs, some Honda's. Given the global supply system, almost gotta be Nissin or Tokico. They stopped using Brembos before the bikes turned up in Oz.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Pretty sure they are Nissin calipers. The one time I bought Victory branded replacement pads, they cami in a kit with O rings, pin, finger springs, pads and some grease. The pads were branded Nissin on the back, part # TT2701 HH
They appear to be the ones used on some early 21st century Kawasaki's, some Triumphs, some Honda's. Given the global supply system, almost gotta be Nissin or Tokico. They stopped using Brembos before the bikes turned up in Oz.
I had wondered that about the Victory "Pad Kit". Not so descriptive of a name there, in their part finder, and no indication of it in the parts fiche, and the only description of contents is "contains 2 brake pads". But, when I saw a picture of that same part number on eBay, it looked like it had everything you described.

Good to know I could get them that way if I wanted to, but I'm not really a fan of the stock pads in the front, so that strikes me as a pretty expensive way to get myself a new pin :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Threw it into the ditch on my driveway. I've had a mate running his Dozer over the drive getting it ready for sale, and the dirt was only about 15 hours off the blade, so really loose and uncompacted. Hit a soft spot on the steep hill, gave it more power to lift the front up, fishtaied and hit the firm ground on the other side with more throttle than was wise, and speared into the high bank on the other side of the ditch. Must ride with my feet splayed out because I stopped with the bike resting against the bank, jamming my left leg, left foot under the saddlebag pointing backwards. It took 20 minutes of painfull contortion to get my right leg over the tank so I could face backwards to relieve the twist on my knee and foot, then pull the foot out of the jammed boot. Took another hour to get it upright and ride out, after dropping tyre pressures by 6 psi. Then went to work. My colleagues don't believe some of the stupid sh** I do. I'll post a photo once I figure out how on this phone. I won't be near my laptop for another week. Not going anywhere today, the foot won't fit in a boot.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,668 Posts
Threw it into the ditch on my driveway. I've had a mate running his Dozer over the drive getting it ready for sale, and the dirt was only about 15 hours off the blade, so really loose and uncompacted. Hit a soft spot on the steep hill, gave it more power to lift the front up, fishtaied and hit the firm ground on the other side with more throttle than was wise, and speared into the high bank on the other side of the ditch. Must ride with my feet splayed out because I stopped with the bike resting against the bank, jamming my left leg, left foot under the saddlebag pointing backwards. It took 20 minutes of painfull contortion to get my right leg over the tank so I could face backwards to relieve the twist on my knee and foot, then pull the foot out of the jammed boot. Took another hour to get it upright and ride out, after dropping tyre pressures by 6 psi. Then went to work. My colleagues don't believe some of the stupid sh** I do. I'll post a photo once I figure out how on this phone. I won't be near my laptop for another week. Not going anywhere today, the foot won't fit in a boot.
And here I am thinking I had a crappy commute to work. You win.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had wondered that about the Victory "Pad Kit". Not so descriptive of a name there, in their part finder, and no indication of it in the parts fiche, and the only description of contents is "contains 2 brake pads". But, when I saw a picture of that same part number on eBay, it looked like it had everything you described.

Good to know I could get them that way if I wanted to, but I'm not really a fan of the stock pads in the front, so that strikes me as a pretty expensive way to get myself a new pin :)
Not suggesting that Otab. There are better pads than stock. A Google search for stainless steel Nissin caliper pins should get results. Mine are 60 mm long overall, 6 mm in diameter on the sliding surface, 10 mm OD on the threaded head, and 5 mm OD the reduced tip that sockets into the other side of the caliper. Check those measurement, they were just with a tape, my verniers are 100 km away. I reckon you'll get some for 20 bucks.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Not suggesting that Otab. There are better pads than stock. A Google search for stainless steel Nissin caliper pins should get results. Mine are 60 mm long overall, 6 mm in diameter on the sliding surface, 10 mm OD on the threaded head, and 5 mm OD the reduced tip that sockets into the other side of the caliper. Check those measurement, they were just with a tape, my verniers are 100 km away. I reckon you'll get some for 20 bucks.
Many thanks for the measurements @ObiSteve ! Those match what I’ve ordered from both sources I found, so I’m hopeful I’ve got a match coming in the mail :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
And here I am thinking I had a crappy commute to work. You win.
I really would have preferred not to win. Sitting on the verandah, compression wrapped foot in bucket of iced water, alternating with being propped up on a table to keep it elevated. Hopefully good to go tomorrow. Most of the time the commute is magic. The 1.3 km driveway is always interesting, occasionally challenging on the HB. It's always OK in something like a RAV 4 or Nissan X Trail or Subaru. The next 5 km of dirt road is always scenic, but had a full contact Skippy encounter on Monday morning (these Vic crash bars are great, just bowled him over, it was up and hopping away by the time I stopped and walked back). The next part on rural 1 lane and 2 lane blacktop through dairy country is magic, lush green pasture with bush up the hills at the side of the valley, looking up into Mapleton Falls, then 3 km of riding Nirvana up the mountain, one war, constant radius turns with well blended entrances and exits, grippy tar in good condition, scrape the chin fairing sides in dry weather, then the top of the ridge, looking out to the ocean 40 km away, the sun reflecting off it in the clear early mornings, and a more restrained descent down to the old sugar mill town where I work. I'm gonna miss this commute when I sell Obi and retire.

·
Registered
779 Posts
ouch man that bites....heal up quick!!

Be Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
228 Posts
ouch man that bites....heal up quick!!

Be Safe,

Rob
The ice, compression and elevation seem to be working, although that.may be the effect of the painkillers, and the glass of rum (Kraken. Black spiced). I think they influenced my last post too.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The ice, compression and elevation seem to be working, although that.may be the effect of the painkillers, and the glass of rum (Kraken. Black spiced). I think they influenced my last post too.
Havin' Forty Creek Canadian Rye Whiskey on ya....cheers ....enjoy the influence!!

Rob

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Glad to hear you came out relatively ok, @ObiSteve :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm on the long trip home wandering from Maggie Valley to Nashville, Mammoth Springs AR, Kansas City, Tucumcari NM, and last night in Flagstaff AZ. The XC is an amazing bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
I have had some wild times in Tucumcari, but the bars are probably not open. They use to have a motorcycle rally there every fathers day weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
I rode a while and filled it up with gas.

9121 - 9139 of 9139 Posts