Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

9241 - 9260 of 9289 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
So the Cobra chrome is better than the old cobra or just better than an old tire?
No, not better that I've found yet, but at least as good, but the chatter about the change from radial to crossply had me wondering about how it feel, particularly with another brand rear. It feels great. I have always liked Cobras, and before them, Venoms, on the front. They have always worked well on dirt as well. The old one still had legal amount of tread, the TWIs weren't level with the surface, but would have been by the end of next week, doing 550 km each week at the moment. Their dirt road grip was way down, try to edge out of a rut and you'd feel them start to slide on the sides of the rut. That's what dropped me 3 weeks ago.
My track is a lot better now, I pulled another ride out of the shed and used it for a couple of days . Air-cooled 45° V4, with separate barrels and heads, make a good basis for a 1200cc torque monster twin.

Reactions: visionjohnny

·
Registered
852 Posts
So the Cobra chrome is better than the old cobra or just better than an old tire?
i am running the new chromes and I'm not sure about them yet...they seem to have a looseness that the older version didn't have....they most definately don't do road snakes well..that the older version handled much better....we'll see how the mileage holds up 13500 kms on so far and they still look brand new we shall see...i will post results...

stay safe..

Rob

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,850 Posts
E3 front and E4 rear will follow snakes all day long. I've never had a tire that doesn't do that though.

·
Registered
852 Posts
E3 front and E4 rear will follow snakes all day long. I've never had a tire that doesn't do that though.
the previous cobra's sure handled them better then the new chromes.....not completely but better 8)

Rob

·
Registered
309 Posts
the previous cobra's sure handled them better then the new chromes.....not completely but better 8)

Rob
I based my verdict of great on how they felt rolling into tight mountain curves, stability in a straight line after weaving the handlebars at 150 kph, and feel under hard braking leading into mountain curves. Great, in all 3 areas. I haven't pushed it in curves too much yet, lightly dragged the floorboards but not the chin fairing yet.
Tar snakes aren't an issue round here, pretty rare, don't know of any on my regular roads. We do get pressure ridges along roads from heavy vehicles running badly based roads, and the Chrome front reacts to those, trying to climb the ridge, but so do all front tyres I've tried. It was way worse when running Darkside rears. Then the front would try to climb them and the back try to fall off the the other way.

Reactions: CanuckRob

·
Registered
852 Posts
I based my verdict of great on how they felt rolling into tight mountain curves, stability in a straight line after weaving the handlebars at 150 kph, and feel under hard braking leading into mountain curves. Great, in all 3 areas. I haven't pushed it in curves too much yet, lightly dragged the floorboards but not the chin fairing yet.
Tar snakes aren't an issue round here, pretty rare, don't know of any on my regular roads. We do get pressure ridges along roads from heavy vehicles running badly based roads, and the Chrome front reacts to those, trying to climb the ridge, but so do all front tyres I've tried. It was way worse when running Darkside rears. Then the front would try to climb them and the back try to fall off the the other way.
Geeze round here some of our roads have more snakes then road LOL and that's just a slight embellishment B-) I do love the rest of the handling with them and yes I will buy them again if the mileage holds up reasonable. We also have pressure ridges with the changing climate and heavy equipment, the northern roads take a beating!

Ride Safe!

Rob

Reactions: Strew3

·
Registered
309 Posts
Geeze round here some of our roads have more snakes then road LOL and that's just a slight embellishment B-) I do love the rest of the handling with them and yes I will buy them again if the mileage holds up reasonable. We also have pressure ridges with the changing climate and heavy equipment, the northern roads take a beating!

Ride Safe!

Rob
I imagine that one reason they put the snakes there in the first place is to stop water getting into the road base, freezing and pushing up frost heaves?

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Had a nice ride yesterday. Rode over to a small town to check out their street dance. They have this every year and coronavirus didn't stop it this year. They block off main street, set up a nice stage and will have 4 or 5 local bands playing until midnight.

1598184388772.png

·
Registered
14 Posts
Loydz Cans and remote tune by NOEMTZ Designz

So I dove in last week and installed the Loydz HOH-505 Signature Cams. Over the last two days I worked with Noe from NOEMTZ DESIGNZ on a remote tune. I can’t say enough about Noe. He did a fantastic job tuning my bike and he was extremely professional. His personal touch made it clear he loves what he does. I would highly recommend his services to anyone.
My bike is running amazing.
To save some questions, I also installed a Loydz air filter, Vance and Hines HO slip ons and a Maximus tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I see pictures of cam installs and wow. Bit above any other bike work I've done.

Enjoy your new power. :)

Reactions: VictorV

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I run Michelin Commander II’s and have never noticed road snakes.

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

Finally washed it (well, the wife did) to get the Sturgis trip off it. Changed the oil, Spark plugs, and all brake pads. Much better now that I can stop. Old brakes had 40k on them and were almost straight metal.

Need to get the Harley out (under cover) and stretch it’s legs some now .

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

Old brakes vs new.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Close to needing new rotor. Enjoy the quicker stopping. :)

Reactions: theja1

·
Registered
309 Posts

Ride Safe!

Rob
You've got some strong voodoo there CanuckRob. You mention tar snakes a week or so ago, I spent the weekend out at the old school, come back for work and found that you'd beamed them down all over my local roads. Our mob must put them on thinner than your mob though, I spent an hour after work hunting them out and riding lots of them, straight line, mid curve and cranked over, under power, under brakes, no reactions from the tyres I could feel. I'll take my vernier calipers in one day and see how proud of the road surface they stand, if I can do that without being run over.

Reactions: CanuckRob

·
Registered
309 Posts
I finally got sick of the slop in the HardBall gear lever on Sunday evening, thought I'd pull it apart, measure up the bushes, and see if I could source some sintered bronze ones from my local bearing supply, they were good for the hard Chrome spherical joints for the reae suspension. Nice night, end of winter, bike in under the shed verandah in the light, fire going in an old spin dryer tub about 10 Metres away, music on the shed stereo playing all of Ben de la Court's happy songs. Well they only lasted till I got the second bolt out, so it was on to the rest of his dead man walking style songs, that I appreciated more after I got the pivot bushes out and found that my vernier calipers were 100 KMs away. Looking at them, they are probably too thin walled to be available in sintered bronze, so the available brass ones might have to do. But because I had it apart, I cut a strip of beercan shimstock and wrapped it around the pivot bolt, installed the worn plastic bushes over that, greased it up and reinstalled with a copper washer controlling endfloat. An amazing improvement. Dunno how long it will last, but I know where to find more of that good quality shimstock when I need it. I might even drill and tap the gear lever for a grease nipple. I'm used to equipment that needs daily greasing.
Changing topic slightly, has anyone fitted an extension hose to a grease nipple on the rear suspension rocker? I fitted a nipple there a couple of years ago, but it is still an awkward job to get the grease gun nozzle in there.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
We have to grease the rocker?

·
Registered
309 Posts
We have to grease the rocker?
When it starts squeaking if you're slack, preventively if you aren't. Drilling and fitting a grease nipple makes it easier than pulling out the pivot shaft. There's a few threads on here about it. Fitting an extension hose would make it easier again.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You've got some strong voodoo there CanuckRob. You mention tar snakes a week or so ago, I spent the weekend out at the old school, come back for work and found that you'd beamed them down all over my local roads. Our mob must put them on thinner than your mob though, I spent an hour after work hunting them out and riding lots of them, straight line, mid curve and cranked over, under power, under brakes, no reactions from the tyres I could feel. I'll take my vernier calipers in one day and see how proud of the road surface they stand, if I can do that without being run over.
I was just trying to share 8) LOL

enjoy the snakes and be safe!!

Rob

Reactions: ObiSteve
9241 - 9260 of 9289 Posts