Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

9301 - 9320 of 9326 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,950 Posts
Rode to work last couple days. Bottom falls out next week 40s low 60s high. Might have to turn on heated grips. Going to be rain possibly too and that's a bit too cold for riding in rain for me.

·
Registered
889 Posts
got to 80 here yesterday pretty much irregular and supposed to be the same here this weekend...so will be some riding done for sure....check out some colours that are starting to happen here yesterday from Fort Irwin area

·
Registered
325 Posts
The damned sqeak returned. No time for a full backend teardown and grease, so pumped the rocker arm grease nipple full of the usual EP grease, and sprayed the swingarm spherical joints with heavy duty lanolin spray, test rode. Still sqeaky so it's the top spherical joints. Pulled the plastic mud shield out, and was able to spray the one on top of the link rod easily enough, but the one on top of the shock is right up out of sight. I was eventually able to get enough lanolin in there to shut it up, but it was messy.
So, question: has any one drilled a hole through the frame there, to make lubing the shock top spherical joint easier? I know I'm a bush mechanic rather than a real one, but I don't think that a 10 mm hole in the top or the side of the frame there is too big a deal, and it would.make a quick spray lube of that joint a lot easier. I think the Vision frame has a bigger hole on top there.
Wotcha reckon?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Why would you need a 10mm hole?
Could you do a smaller hole just to fit the spray lube straw or are you pumping from a grease gun?

I'll be honest I don't know what it is you are lubing up I haven't had any issues with my CCT but it's still young on miles compared to many here.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Why would you need a 10mm hole?
Could you do a smaller hole just to fit the spray lube straw or are you pumping from a grease gun?

I'll be honest I don't know what it is you are lubing up I haven't had any issues with
A smaller hole would let me get a spray lube tube in there, but I still wouldn't be able see where it was going. A 10 mm hole would let me see to put it onto the spherical joint that links the top of the shock to the rocker arm. I posted a pic of the rocker arm and the shaft it pivots on at post 9262 here a month ago. If you take off the RHS side over, sabblebag, and take the 3 securing bolts out of the plastic plate that mounts the fuse box and other electric stuff, and pry out the push fit plastic mudguard insert, you can look up and see the spherical joint that mounts the RH end of the rocker arm to the link rod that drops to the RH of the swing arm, but the shock end is hidden up out of sight.
You will have to get in there one day when it starts squeaking, but it's easier after you take out the back wheel. It's a job to do at new tyre time. My trouble is the dusty roads here, dust sucks up oil and sticks to grease, making a grinding paste. I have to lube in there about every 5000 KMs. The suspension works well, but some times I think it's over complicated. Any one know it the Indian tourers have rocker arm rear suspension?

Reactions: BP6666VR

·
Registered
608 Posts
I pulled the shock out of my bike to do a good grease job of the spherical bearing.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I pulled the shock out of my bike to do a good grease job of the spherical bearing.
Yeah, me too, but I didn't have time for the full job last Sunday, so quick and messy it had to be.

·
Premium Member
6,331 Posts
The damned sqeak returned. No time for a full backend teardown and grease, so pumped the rocker arm grease nipple full of the usual EP grease, and sprayed the swingarm spherical joints with heavy duty lanolin spray, test rode. Still sqeaky so it's the top spherical joints. Pulled the plastic mud shield out, and was able to spray the one on top of the link rod easily enough, but the one on top of the shock is right up out of sight. I was eventually able to get enough lanolin in there to shut it up, but it was messy.
So, question: has any one drilled a hole through the frame there, to make lubing the shock top spherical joint easier? I know I'm a bush mechanic rather than a real one, but I don't think that a 10 mm hole in the top or the side of the frame there is too big a deal, and it would.make a quick spray lube of that joint a lot easier. I think the Vision frame has a bigger hole on top there.
Wotcha reckon?
Yes this has been done by many members, @RICZ made a complete write-up regarding drilling of the top shaft on the shock ....

Drill & tap a hole into the shaft length wise, then a axial hole in that shaft going to the small roller bearing, install a 45° grease zerk or nipple at the end of that shaft so you can pump some EP grease every month or so to keep the ozy dust out ....

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
Did I hear my name mentioned?? Today, my friend who has my ex XR is coming over to put on the last pieces that will bring the bike up to pre crash condition. Then we plan a multi day ride.
The news on the Spyderside is my wife, who hasn't ridden with me for 15 years is back to riding again. It feels so good to have her back there again. Now she's climbing the Spyder learning curve.

·
Premium Member
6,331 Posts
Did I hear my name mentioned?? Today, my friend who has my ex XR is coming over to put on the last pieces that will bring the bike up to pre crash condition. Then we plan a multi day ride.
The news on the Spyderside is my wife, who hasn't ridden with me for 15 years is back to riding again. It feels so good to have her back there again. Now she's climbing the Spyder learning curve.
Nice to see you on the forum Ricz, where is the link to that suspension shaft mod you did ? I know it's just a drilled holes, but I remember some details were standing out ....

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
I'll see what I can find, it's been a long time since I did that. I do remember one "must do" and that's, before you take anything apart, make a mark where you want the zerk fitting to be, which should be at the six o'clock location. In the photo, you can see the drilled hole that is an air vent so the seals will not be blown out. It's 180* from the zerk.

073.JPG
073.JPG

·
Premium Member
6,331 Posts
Thanks @RICZ

So @ObiSteve there you have a picture and a one thing to do first...

Reactions: ObiSteve

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks @RICZ

So @ObiSteve there you have a picture and a one thing to do first...

Thanks again BP, but I already have installed a grease nipple on the rocker, after a similar conversation with you a couple of years ago. 🙂 I no longer have a problem with the needle rollers running dry and squeaking, this time it was the top 2 spherical joints. The SKF catalogue lists spherical joints with O ring seals on the spheres; might try those when the hard chromed ones I'm running flog out.

Reactions: BP6666VR

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
My ex XR's new owner and good friend Lee and I put the last crash repair items on 'er. Cleaned 'er and gave 'er a fresh coat of Meguiars #26 yellow wax. I'm not starting a wax thread, I know there are other waxes out there, so please don't tell me what you use. It seems that whenever someone mentions wax, oil, tires, octane or condoms, peeps have to chirp in with, "I use X and it's so much better." That's so precious.
OK, I'm done ranting. After Lee and I finished getting the bike back to jewelry store condition (his words) Lee, I and Pretty Wife took off on 5 wheels to have dinner.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Glad you got it all back together.

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
325 Posts
My ex XR's new owner and good friend Lee and I put the last crash repair items on 'er. Cleaned 'er and gave 'er a fresh coat of Meguiars #26 yellow wax. I'm not starting a wax thread, I know there are other waxes out there, so please don't tell me what you use. It seems that whenever someone mentions wax, oil, tires, octane or condoms, peeps have to chirp in with, "I use X and it's so much better." That's so precious.
OK, I'm done ranting.
I hadn't noticed the condom chatter, but there are parts of the forum I don't go. :-|

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Took a short 2 hour ride over to NC and back. Changed the oil, spark plugs, greased clutch barrels, and did a good all around check. All in all a good day with my XR.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Walked past it this morning to get in the truck. 35 degrees on a Monday and I was running late no time to dress for that weather. :(
I'll ride rest of week.

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
40 degrees is the lowest I've seen here so far.

9301 - 9320 of 9326 Posts