Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
9,581 - 9,600 of 9,709 Posts
Oh man, mines not ready for the long goodnight just yet. Praying for one more nice weekend. Or evening. Or sick day
Yea i don't usually put her to bed this early, I have a couple surgeries coming up will put me out of commission for 6 - 8 weeks....so it was nice today got her done....8( enjoy the time you've left!!! stay safe

I'm in the process of swapping out some leaky fork seals. I found out the Kingpin seals, even thought they both have inverted forks, are not the same size as the XC seals. Drat. Also found my front tire has a lot of dry age cracks so time to change that tire out as well.

The good news is it's an easy job anyone can do in their home garage. No need to take it in to a shop. At almost 30k miles the fork fluid is still fairly clear. I can see why Depot Picker was able to go as long as he did without changing the fluid. I have no doubt it could easily go 60k miles as long as the seals held up.
"Old bikers" I know rarely change fork oil and they have had dozens of bikes. Similar thought to run it to 60k or it starts leaking.

"Old bikers" I know rarely change fork oil and they have had dozens of bikes. Similar thought to run it to 60k or it starts leaking.
I wouldn't be changing the fluid now but both forks are making a mess on the front wheel so since I had to take it apart anyway I'm going to put new fluid in it. I think the lesson I learned is these XC's can go an easy 60k before changing fluid and probably a good deal longer.

I don't think the bushings wear out often either.

I wouldn't be changing the fluid now but both forks are making a mess on the front wheel so since I had to take it apart anyway I'm going to put new fluid in it. I think the lesson I learned is these XC's can go an easy 60k before changing fluid and probably a good deal longer.

I don't think the bushings wear out often either.
Good because I don't plan to change mine soon. Still under 30k.

What about the age of the fork fluid? I've only got 20k miles on my XR but the fork fluid is the original and is about 12 years old. Thought about changing it out this winter but now you guys got me thinking twice about it.

My 2¢ is the oil will get contamination from riding with the up and down of the forks so the age shouldn't matter much.

I'm thinking about changing at 30k miles on my 2012 though, maybe.

What about the age of the fork fluid? I've only got 20k miles on my XR but the fork fluid is the original and is about 12 years old. Thought about changing it out this winter but now you guys got me thinking twice about it.
Mine is a 2011 and this is the first time I've done them at about 30k miles. By the way the seals are 43mm x 55mm x 9.5mm. My dust seals look good so I won't be replacing them. Just the inner seals.

Knowing what I know now I wouldn't mess with a fluid change unless I had leading fork seals until 60k. YMMV.

I figure I'll do the KP next since I already have 3 sets of seals and bushings.

I changed the seals and fluids somewhere around 100,000 miles. The seals had started leaking. I'm at 159,600 now.
Remember the old days when a motorcycle motor needed a complete rebuild around 30,000 miles.

I changed the seals and fluids somewhere around 100,000 miles. The seals had started leaking. I'm at 159,600 now.
I remember you went a long time; just not how far exactly. I have no trouble believing these Vic's will safely go up to 100k miles on the original fork oil. The oil is not subjected to acidic carbon like the engine is nor the extreme heat so it's not that it wears out or becomes contaminated by another source other than microscopic bushing particles from wear.

As long as I don't get another fork seal leak I hope this will be the last time I do this on my XC. I figure it's good to the 100k mark and I have 30k now. I don't put the miles on like you do.

Looks like I will be keeping the KP; since one of the seals has a small but annoying leak I will do it this winter too. I'll make some other changes too. It's fun to change the look sometimes. In retrospect I wish I had painted it a solid color rather than a tri-color design somewhat like Victory might have done.

The Chill Is Real! Rode in this morning with sub 50's weather. Had to change to the heavier gloves!
Knee surgery in a week so trying to get in as much riding as I can right now!

Reactions: BBob
I found one of the fork tubes were cut a little large on the inside where the fork seal sits so the seal doesn't fit snug (outer diameter). I used some of that stuff that swells gaskets and seals in an engine to see if that helps. Soaked the seal for a bit then put it all together and added a little of the seal swell to the fork oil. It's much better than the first time I put it back together. Still a slight bit of weeping but I'm hoping the heat from use will help it seal in better. I'm not sure what else I can do to make it work. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

If I would have caught this during the first year of ownership (bought new) I could have gotten a free replacement.

When I had the BB kit done a year ago last winter, I had Rylan do a fork oil/seal change. The bike only has about 30k on it, but figured while he has it........

Big bore would be my guess.

Well I took a nice long ride today and the seals are still leaking. I guess I will try some silicon around the outside of the seals. This will make my 3rd time doing this job.

I gotta say though; with the Amsoil 5 wt fork oil, new EBC brake pads, and new Shinko 777 front tire the bike feels better than new. It feels like it's on a rail. I do have a Penske rear shock and a car tire on the back. This combination is about as close to perfection as I can imagine for this XC.

The thing about fork oil as it goes bad; it does it at such a slow rate we tend to get used to it as it ages. I'm going to revise my thinking a bit and suggest changing the oil every 30-40k miles. It's not mandatory of course. Everyone should do what they think is best for them and their bike but knowing what I know now this is what I think would be best for me and my bike.

That sucks!
Are you sure you ordered the right size seals?

That sucks!
Are you sure you ordered the right size seals?
Yeah. 100% sure. I even ordered a second set from Witchdoctors that came in today. I will use the ones from him (from Parts Unlimited) to see if it makes a difference. One would think they are all pretty much the same but maybe not. The ones from Victory are crazy expensive. I hope I don't need to try that route too. They are basically put in a mold hot I think then a machine trims them to spec.

Yes, a big bore kit...

9,581 - 9,600 of 9,709 Posts