Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a year of riding my 2012 Cross Roads Classic this 63 year old feels confident enough to take a long road trip. I have been asked to accompany a friend on a trip from Virginia, in June, to see the Hoover Dam and a lot of America on the way. We have no agenda. This trip could last one to three weeks depending on what we want to do during it. My friend has taken several long trips in the past however I have never been on one.

My questions are many, but mostly I would like to know what type and how much luggage I would need buy? What should I pack? What should I not pack? All I have now is the standard leather bags and the Victory removable backrest/luggage rack. I think he would like to camp for a few evenings to save money. I prefer a bed but I think I can handle sleeping in a tent for a few evenings. Is it easy to carry a sleeping bag and tent along with everything else? What type of tent and sleeping bag would you recommend? I tend to overpack on any trip I take so please help!

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
135 Posts
remember not to double up on things you both will use...such as toiltries,tent, sunscreens, etc. you can share and pack lighter. also one tent obviously. remember meds and aspirin, etc. at my age things start to get sore. one pair shoes + maybe some tennis shoes. you can wear your pants, etc more than one day. depending on when you go a lighter jacket than riding in the cooler time of year. just remember, even in the summer it will get cool at night. with the large saddle bags you can carry quite a lot. plus a large bag behind the passenger backrest on the luggage rack + another in front of the backrest on the passenger seat. you can also use it for a backrest for yourself. you will be surprised at all the crap you can carry!
jusr have fun, don't over extend yourself , and ride safe! HAVE FUN!cheers

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
You'll end up taking TOO many clothes. I will never travel with more than 3 pair of jeans (most of the time...just two)...and 4-5 tee shirts. Maybe 3 pair of socks and of course be prepared for any cold weather.

But don't take 5 pair of pants and 10 shirts...I usually wear a pair of pants (while on the road) for 2-3 days.

·
Registered
13 Posts
long trip

on one of my long trips i used alot of the federal and state lake camp sites for about next to nothing you can get a golden passport member ship good at all the big national parks and you just set up with your tent you have electric, water and a hot shower not to mention other people around, most of them have bike,s at home so your not laying in a rest area hopeing you dont get mugged i used a back pack for my shower stuff and rolled up a towel 3 changes of cloth,s socks,underware tee shirt,s and rain gear my tent was a 10 / 10 tarp over the bike and at a slop to the ground stacked down . used a sleeping bag with a ground mat as far as bike extras i,ve got a double male plug with 12 foot of cable just in case i need a jump lighter plug to lighter plug never had to use it but it tie,s all the other stuff in place i carry a slime kit and a gallon of gas . with it all loaded up i,ve got about 46 pd. of gear not counting the cc w i have on my belt and dont forget to check the cc w laws in the state,s your rideing thur. have a great trip and dont worry about being up for the long hour,s of rideing you,ll be to busy looking at all the things and talking about what,s next

·
Registered
89 Posts
For a three week trip I take two pair of jeans. Wash them in hotel room at night. I take old socks and throw them out along the way, buy new if I run out. Rain pantsmall three legged chair about 15 inches highextra sunglasses, as my riding jacket is water proof. Three T-shirts, long sleeve shirt (remenber you may buy a few souvineir shirts along the way), running shoes. Small first aid kit, tire repair kit aqnd small compresser. Camera, sunscreen. Just always remember that whatever you forget or do not take, can be bought along the way if need be.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Do NOT forget a cooling vest such as Hyperkewl! You will hit
High temps in the 100's. I and my riding friends ALL carry one.
Also, have a drink holder on the bike and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
Stay off the slab, use the back roads to America, do not plan your
Trip beyond the next day and allow 3 weeks for your trip to Hoover
dam. Enjoy the scenery and people. Most of all, tell us about it
When you return! cheers. Jim

·
Registered
30 Posts
Take a modest set of necessary tools with you for any adjustments. Also, the three weeks would be best when riding that distance to make it enjoyable. I'm 62 and rode from Florida to Ohio and then to Devil's Tower, Wyoming and back to Florida in 10 days(about 5900 miles). I over-packed and ended up using about half of what I took. Use the same jeans to ride with and take clothes to clean up when you stop. Take rain gear that is easily accessible to quickly put on. You may need warm clothing for the mountains but make sure you'll be able to store what you take off for the hot temps. If your luggage is full have some bungee netting to use for storage. I tried to line my luggage with plastic bags to keep everything dry. Sunscreen and a small first aid kit is necessary. I also took a siphon hose for fuel emergencies. Lastly, one tent for the two of you and a compact sleeping bag for the nights you are not using a motel. I vote for the motels. I would buy a piece of luggage for the luggage rack to place my clothes in. In addition I purchased a Tombstone bag for the passenger seat for storage, and it is designed to double as a backrest as well. Take plenty of pictures and document your travels. Have fun!

·
13,262 Posts
I would buy a can of gas and a match and burn the tent to the ground.
In off season you can get cheap rooms and a roll away with two or three guys splitting there cheap. All motels have wash machines and are very happy to let you use them.
Buy a quality rain suit. Keep in mind there are a ton of wallmarts for something that you might need. Old fashion road maps will tell you a lot. Get a hold of a list of Vic dealers and Honda dealers and what ever and down load them in case you need help. Aftermarket shop will do more then dealers if you need them.
Make it a point when you get to quarter tank of gas stop and get some the next town might not have a gas station.
If you buy stuff on trip ship it home.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
John Muir used to head out into the wilderness with a long wool coat and some bread in his pocket....

Don't do that.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Burn the tent down? Took a two week trip this last August through
WA, ID, MT, WY and OR. Planned the next days ride from where we
were ATT. Tented it every nite and sometimes did not use a tent.
Slept under the stars, next to a few creeks, in a back yard, campgrounds and roadside hunting camps. Camping gives you the freedom of choice that planning from motel to motel does not. Take your camping stuff and open up your choices on where you would
Like to journey. My $.02.
cheers. Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestions! You all have given me many that I most likely will use. Keep them coming! I am now looking for a Tombstone bag and not as unsure about camping a few nights. I like the idea of having more freedom and not being tied down to motel reservations.

My friend has a trailer that pops out into a tent. I can't see myself sleeping in that trailer with him so I suppose I need to get a small tent.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Here are a few online lists. WAY TOO MUCH if you took all of it.
Think about it, before you put it in the bag.
Will you use it more then once?
Could you do without it?

Motorcycle Camping Checklist

Credit Card Camping Checklist

When I travel with my wife, we take 4 person tent. It's nice to be able to bring all your gear in the tent. Riding gear alone will take up a bunch of space in a tent. When I travel alone, I bring a 2 person tent.

I like to start early and quit early. Good luck doing that when I'm with my wife. She likes sleeping in. It is easier to find a motel or campsite in the daylight or 4PM. Also; If you want to save your butt and a little time; Ride an hour or so before breakfast.

It has already been mentioned before, but I'm going to mention it again.
Hydrate - Hydrate -Hydrate
I like to ride with a camelbak.

When you are packing the bike; try to store heavy items lower on the bike (like the bottom of the saddlebag).

While traveling; try playing the game "Stay Off the Interstate".

·
Registered
298 Posts
Clothes should take up very little space. I usually take 2 changes. Have yet to be unable to find a laundromat and 45 mins. to wash all my stuff. Usually a place close by to grab a bite to eat while doing so. And lots of motels have washers & dryers as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
a Tombstone bag for the passenger seat for storage,
Does the Tombstone bag have attach points that work well on your XC without a backrest or luggage rack to attach to? Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a Vision so can't help you with the luggage aspect but might give you some ideas.The pic.'s from my trip last summer from Wyo. out to Ga,SC,Fla.I10 to So. Cal.and back home 2 wks. 6700 mi.

On the pass. seat: 2 small Taiga compression bags (containing 7 prs. of skivies,socks.t's,extra pair of levis,long sleeve shirt,swim trunks,beach towel and Under Armour Cold Gear Leggings)Cabella's 2 man pack tent with ground cloth, cool vest,and my jacket.

In the tour pack:twin size Coleman air mattress/batt. pwrd. air pump,
travel cover for bike,Gerbing heated jacket/gloves,batt tender,Slime air compressor,spare gloves,lap top,shaving kit,flip flops,20 deg. mummy bag on the rack.

In the right saddle bag: rain gear,chaps,spare glasses,road atlas,sun block,small transistor radio,led flash light,spare AA/D cell batt,.camera,small pair of binoculars, small misc.odds and ends.

In the left saddle bag: tool bag(incl.elec tape,a few zip ties,small socket set,small comb wrenches,comb. flat head/phillips head driver,spare plugs,fuses,Allen/Torx set,circuit tester,needle nose,dikes,10'' crecent,channel locks) shock pump,tire plug kit,digital tire pressure gauge,qt. of oil, can of Plexis,can of Bike Spirits detailer,2 microfiber towels,TP

25lbs on the pass.seat,25lbs in the tour pack,15 lbs in each saddle bag.

Don't scrimp on the tent or the sleeping bag/air matress if you're pitching a tent. I'm 60 and enjoy camp grounds as long as I'm well rested, warm and dry in the morning.I've made 3 coast to coast trips with this gear and haven't lacked for anything.Out of 16 days on the road I may motel it 4 or 5 nights.

IMO the best travel investment I've made,a good GPS, in my case a new Zumo 660(formerly a 550) paired up with the Skala Qll Rider headset.Maps/atlas are fine for planning scenic routes etc.but getting through major metros like LA,Chi.,Atlanta,Bos. etc. would be a nightmare for this back woods redneck without a GPS.Also a Tiregard TPMS and XM Radio.

Other than a 0 deg. mummy bag I'll be packing the exact load up to Anchorage Ak. and down the coast to Mexico 7500 mi./2 wks next June.

Attachments

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have a Vision so can't help you with the luggage aspect but might give you some ideas.The pic.'s from my trip last summer from Wyo. out to Ga,SC,Fla.I10 to So. Cal.and back home 2 wks. 6700 mi.

On the pass. seat: 2 small Taiga compression bags (containing 7 prs. of skivies,socks.t's,extra pair of levis,long sleeve shirt,swim trunks,beach towel and Under Armour Cold Gear Leggings)Cabella's 2 man pack tent with ground cloth, cool vest,and my jacket.

In the tour pack:twin size Coleman air mattress/batt. pwrd. air pump,
travel cover for bike,Gerbing heated jacket/gloves,batt tender,Slime air compressor,spare gloves,lap top,shaving kit,flip flops,20 deg. mummy bag on the rack.

In the right saddle bag: rain gear,chaps,spare glasses,road atlas,sun block,small transistor radio,led flash light,spare AA/D cell batt,.camera,small pair of binoculars, small misc.odds and ends.

In the left saddle bag: tool bag(incl.elec tape,a few zip ties,small socket set,small comb wrenches,comb. flat head/phillips head driver,spare plugs,fuses,Allen/Torx set,circuit tester,needle nose,dikes,10'' crecent,channel locks) shock pump,tire plug kit,digital tire pressure gauge,qt. of oil, can of Plexis,can of Bike Spirits detailer,2 microfiber towels,TP

25lbs on the pass.seat,25lbs in the tour pack,15 lbs in each saddle bag.

Don't scrimp on the tent or the sleeping bag/air matress if you're pitching a tent. I'm 60 and enjoy camp grounds as long as I'm well rested, warm and dry in the morning.I've made 3 coast to coast trips with this gear and haven't lacked for anything.Out of 16 days on the road I may motel it 4 or 5 nights.

IMO the best travel investment I've made,a good GPS, in my case a new Zumo 660(formerly a 550) paired up with the Skala Qll Rider headset.Maps/atlas are fine for planning scenic routes etc.but getting through major metros like LA,Chi.,Atlanta,Bos. etc. would be a nightmare for this back woods redneck without a GPS.Also a Tiregard TPMS and XM Radio.

Other than a 0 deg. mummy bag I'll be packing the exact load up to Anchorage Ak. and down the coast to Mexico 7500 mi./2 wks next June.
Nice write up.
I think for you; you probably don't need a 0 deg bag for your AK trip. My wife and I did that ride a few years ago. We only had our 20* rectangular bag zipped to a fabric bottom for the 2 of us. We have 2 sleeping pads that fit into a sleeves in the fabric bottom that worked great. If you think you will be a little cooler on this trip up to AK, get a better mattress. There are a few companies that make an insulated sleeping pad the is very compact and light. Sleeping on a standard air mattress can be chilling (air conducts cold from the ground).

We did need a mosquito head net a few times up there. And never used a flashlight the whole trip (it never got dark). I had to use a sleeping mask to sleep.
A long light gauge extension cord is handy to charge the camera battery and other things.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nice write up.
I think for you; you probably don't need a 0 deg bag for your AK trip. My wife and I did that ride a few years ago. We only had our 20* rectangular bag zipped to a fabric bottom for the 2 of us. We have 2 sleeping pads that fit into a sleeves in the fabric bottom that worked great. If you think you will be a little cooler on this trip up to AK, get a better mattress. There are a few companies that make an insulated sleeping pad the is very compact and light. Sleeping on a standard air mattress can be chilling (air conducts cold from the ground).

We did need a mosquito head net a few times up there. And never used a flashlight the whole trip (it never got dark). I had to use a sleeping mask to sleep.
A long light gauge extension cord is handy to charge the camera battery and other things.
Thanx for the input orbiker,the blindfold is on my list.I've used an air mattress down in the teens and have stayed relatively comfortable and warm. I've got a bad back and have never found a sleeping pad that works for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts