Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at doing a 21" wheel on my CC. Read many posts about just bolting on a 21" wheel/tire/fender and being good to go. Just curious what the forks in the $1749 Vic kit do that mine don't. The description says 2 extended length forks. Does that mean it sits higher than stock forks would with the 21" wheel? It's a bit vague as to why the kit is needed or why it's different than the stock forks.

Any light anyone can shed would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Let's put it this way.... You can bolt a 21" wheel on while using the stock fender with very minor mods. Do you think it's necessary to buy the fork kit from Victory?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just curious as to the reasoning why Vic put these different forks on the Magnum to begin with. What do these do different than stock CC fork legs?

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
v-rodder,

I've asked that exact same question at four different dealers and I've never gotten a coherent answer. Far as I can tell, the fork bottoms on my CCT are silver and the forks legs in the 'kit' have black bottoms. Taking a tape measure to them return the exact same measurement.

Pretty sure all that's really needed is the 21" wheel with a 21" fender. The pictures I've seen using the oem 18" fender for a 21" wheel just looks 'off'.

The more I see the 21" front end the more I think I'll have one in my future.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The more I see the 21" front end the more I think I'll have one in my future.
thumb up I have to force myself to not to look at 21" wheel threads.....yet here I am :eek:

v-rodder, from what I've read there is a "legal" reason for Vic selling forks with the 21" wheel kit. Whether or not these forks are used the front end is going to sit higher when a larger diameter rim is used, how much exactly depends on the profile of the tire used.
As good as the 21" wheel(and lowering the rear-end) look, my hold back from doing these mods is that I'm completely happy with how my bike handles and where my windshield sits, I just don't want to do anything to change these.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I checked the parts diagrams for both bikes, and the part numbers are quite different. Both the springs and the cartridges are different as well as the inner fork tube. However the seals, bushing, and cap are the same.

My guess is the differences have to do with handling specifically for the 21" wheel. Which would mean that this kit would handle better than a CC with the wheel and 1.5" lowering link. In theory.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I believe the difference between the forks is internal. I believe the magnum fork springs are shorter and also stiffer. Maybe some minor oil weight/orifice tweaks to match spring performance. No solid evidence to point at. Just semi-intelligent reasoning. Shorter maintains geometry while stiffer prevents the fender from hitting the fairing/lower triple tree during max compression.

Assuming this makes sense, the Vic dealer swapping out assembled forks makes a whole lot of sense from a labor, skill and time perspective, vs pulling forks and replacing internals.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I went by my local dealer and measured the forks for a cc and a magnum. From the bottom of the triple tree to the center of the front axle is the same on both, 18 5/8". So they don't seem to be shorter. The mystery continues.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Yup, I had the same experience with a tape measure which is what I posted earlier. Outwardly, it seems to be the color of the lower fork legs.

Are there actual internal differences besides a few item numbers? Very likely. But then why would they measure the same length top to bottom?

Perhaps the Magnum forks have a stiffer compression to prevent bottoming out the fender on the radiator cover with the larger front wheel??? And using the CC/CCT forks, they 'could' bottom out too easily with the larger front wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Yup, I had the same experience with a tape measure which is what I posted earlier. Outwardly, it seems to be the color of the lower fork legs.

Are there actual internal differences besides a few item numbers? Very likely. But then why would they measure the same length top to bottom?

Perhaps the Magnum forks have a stiffer compression to prevent bottoming out the fender on the radiator cover with the larger front wheel??? And using the CC/CCT forks, they 'could' bottom out too easily with the larger front wheel.

If you punch the tire size's/rim size's into a tire calculator... You will see the actual difference is less than 3/4" if I recall correctly. So that means less than 3/8" larger in any direction. I can't believe that 3/8" would cause any damage at all. I believe Victory is just trying to make a buck doing 21" wheel swaps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts