Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to do a simple thing like remove the oil drain plug and the damn thing snapped off. Barley put any torque on it . Anyone else drill and tap these out?
Should I take it to dealer?

Jim

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Try the cheap and easy things first JP. With a centerpunch, tap a dimple near the edge of what remains, then angle the punch to point in a counter clockwise direction and tap it with your hammer. The combination of the impacts and the rotational force should get it moving. If not, report back for further instructions.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Did you change your oil last? If the dealer did it, TAKE IT BACK

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ric.. Wouldn't budge. Really the hard to get a hammer up there. Luv my ride. I wish oil could blame it on the dealer. But I never over torque these things. I simply gave it a sharp crank to break the seal and it snapped. I didn't even torque it that hard.
There's is a very small leak. I think I can ride it to the dealer.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Ric.. Wouldn't budge. Really the hard to get a hammer up there. Luv my ride. I wish oil could blame it on the dealer. But I never over torque these things. I simply gave it a sharp crank to break the seal and it snapped. I didn't even torque it that hard.
There's is a very small leak. I think I can ride it to the dealer.
That sharp yank did ya in I think JP. Are you POSITIVE you were pulling in the correct direction? I have trained guys to do repair work and they all would pull in the wrong direction on an inverted bolt or nut and swear they were doing right.
If'n a fastener won't budge to normal pressure, tap (don't bang) the wrench handle with a smallish hammer. Those little shocks have loosened many a stuck fastener for me without drama.
Here's my Plan B for ya.....
Lay your bike on its right side to give you more access to working on that bolt, or what's left of it. Got easy-outs of left hand drill bits? (I recommend everyone have a set of LH drill bits for just this sort of thing.) And go to work on getting that bugger out. My dealer charges $110/hour - that gives me all the incentive I need to do all my own work and it should you.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I have done all my own wrenching since my 1981 CB750C in 1998 and even I started turning the drain bolt on my XCT the wrong way the first time. I have to stop and remind myself of the actual direction every time.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well with two artificial knees laying the bike on its side may not be in the cards. I but it seems to be the only way to get to drill a pilot hole and then use an extractor.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
If'n I was there in Roanoke, I'd be there helping you. 'Tween a cripple and an old fart, we'd git 'er done. :)

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know you would Ric. If I can get its on its side.. What the worst that can happen? I am sure I can get the nut out. I did see it turn a bit but just can't get a bite on it. I think laying it on it right side would give me a good angle on it ?

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Got a husky neighbor boy or two? Be sure to put a rug or blankie down to protect your baby.
I'm not the strongest kid on the block, but I would get on it and ease it over, just like I would if I forgot to put the side stand down. Don't ask me how I know that. :)

·
Registered
4,069 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Also once you get the old one out WD has a magnetic plug that you can get a wrench on. I have an extra one, if you need it I can fedex it to you over night?

·
13,003 Posts
sorry you have no choice but to lay it on its side. See if a tire shop will let you BORROW some tires something and lay it over. Lay it on right hand side. Get a better drain plug then what Vis sells. auto stores carry them take old one to match up threads.
You have a friend that is car or bike smart to help
sorry

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol I didn't that too Ric . My wife laughed her ass off. I have my son in law coming over. He owes me.... I let him live . :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Lefty; losey...... Righty; Tighty.......
I forgot that i few times on a few pieces of equipment over the years... I found that a sharp [Very Sharp] chisel and a hammer tapping counter clock wise works best..

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Really looking forward to a good news update on your drain plug. Hopefully a small drill bit and an Easy Out or similar made easy work with it.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Ohhhhh it has been a while this happed ... PLEASE update with some photos ...

Yup I remember some good reading and solutions for this ....

There are 2 magnetic drain plugs on the market I'll post the thread

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone know the size of the drain plug. Is it M12x1.5 ?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
1 - 20 of 77 Posts