Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Use what the Manufactor recommends... Then you can't go wrong ..
By the way what Oil are you using.....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
the manufacturer recommended fuel/octane level is to cover their ass, you only need enough octane to keep from pinging, many many people run 87

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Running with a Lloyds timing wheel? then use the highest octane that keeps you from pinging. Same goes for a stock motor with no mods.

I run 91 REC which is Ethanol free. I add Amsoil Octane Boost and conditioner every other tank full. Never ever an issue with a good crisp exhaust note I feel I'm on the right track.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Phycology 101... People who use 87 octane won't spend the extra penny's for the recommended octane, So if they can convince everyone one that they're right and the manufacturer is wrong! they can sleep better at night..
[no new rope please]

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
I thought it kinda depended on where you lived and the local and state laws, around northwest Ohio, in Lucas county I have seen as high as 30% ethanol in the gas around here, go east to the next county and it drops to 0 or 5% the closer to the lake you get, for the marina and boats I would assume. If I can fill up at a marina I always try to.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I thought it kinda depended on where you lived and the local and state laws, around northwest Ohio, in Lucas county I have seen as high as 30% ethanol in the gas around here, go east to the next county and it drops to 0 or 5% the closer to the lake you get, for the marina and boats I would assume. If I can fill up at a marina I always try to.
Do you have a picture to prove 30% ethanol. Right now, it should be 10% or less or 85% and nothing in between.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
South Florida is a mega boating area. We only have up to 10
% at the pumps for Ethanol and some of the stations have pumps that carry REC90. Mostly for trailering boaters but many bikers are using it also which helps to keep these stations stocked.

·
13,003 Posts
I read where Kevinx said 87 was fine if riding on flat land.
If your doing any kind of hill terrain you should be using 91.
93 is not need your bike will run hotter

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I read where Kevinx said 87 was fine if riding on flat land.
If your doing any kind of hill terrain you should be using 91.
93 is not need your bike will run hotter
To add to that, if you are at higher elevation, you can use a lower octane than people who are at sea level

·
Registered
640 Posts
I was checking the recomended fuel type in the manuel for 06 Pin. It recomends 92 oct or higher.But there is no type ( i.e ethanol free) listed that I could find.I usually run 89 but might go higher now that I found this.Plus with most all pumps being of the 1 nozzle design your probably only gettin half of what you pay for as far as oct you select which will lower the oct in your tank anyhow.I get the feeling Im over thinkin this.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Phycology 101... People who use 87 octane won't spend the extra penny's for the recommended octane, So if they can convince everyone one that they're right and the manufacturer is wrong! they can sleep better at night..

[no new rope please]

kevinx explains it best but here goes, higher then needed octane causes carbon buildup on pistons, overtime the buildup increases compression, which increases octane requirement, but since your running the top octane you get detonation, which costs you pistons and valves. so run what you want, but that is what can happen by wasting money on uneeded octane

·
Registered
632 Posts
I didn't think 91 is higher than needed... But I wished I knew about that carbon buildup thing raising the compression years ago, Could have saved me money, Instead of Milling the heads on my 440Ci Engine to up the compression I should have just used Hi-Test.. :crzy:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I use 90 octane ethanol free here locally. Anytime I use 10% fuel, it's 93 octane. I usually try to follow the puregas app and fill up with ethanol free gas whenever possible while traveling.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I didn't think 91 is higher than needed... But I wished I knew about that carbon buildup thing raising the compression years ago, Could have saved me money, Instead of Milling the heads on my 440Ci Engine to up the compression I should have just used Hi-Test.. :crzy:

it is, and if you question it ask kevin, just trying to relay what the man has posted i dont know how many times.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I run 91 ethanol free fuel. Detonation is bad, so is fuel system deterioration caused by the the ethanol. I ride two up a lot so I want the added detonation prevention the 91 offers versus running 89.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Plus with most all pumps being of the 1 nozzle design your probably only gettin half of what you pay for as far as oct you select which will lower the oct in your tank anyhow.I get the feeling Im over thinkin this.
You just never know what the person before you bought, not sure how much would be left in the hose, the only ethanol free around here is 91-93. I use 89 two up hilly terrain no problems....:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts