Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
That is incorrect

yes and no, if the bike sits for periods of time, yes, if it gets used up quick, no.

if you dont think ethanol is bad after time, try cleaning a carb that has sat with it, ive had to throw carbs away because if it

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Gas without ethanol clogs up carbs and has been doing that for a long time.

gas without varnishes, gas with destroys

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
gas without varnishes, gas with destroys
Oh no, the plastic gas lines in my car that are twenty years old should've been destroyed by now from all of the ethanol. Wait a minute, there not, I would have thought anything ethanol touched would have been destroyed by now, but its still there.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
ethanol doesnt bother plastic, rubber, yes, plastic no, let a carbed vehicle sit and pull it apart,, the green scum eating away at the inside of the carb is from the ethanol, no ethanol will leave the varnish film.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I use premium and around here(Arizona) thats 92 or 93? Octane..I think..dang, now I gotta look.
I'm gonna get you're wasting money, the bike doesn't know any better, Victory says
mid-grade etc. Its my money and besides I generally put in a tad over 4 gallons and premium is only about .10 cents more than mid-grade so its 40 cents extra. I run through 12-15 tanks of fuel per month for 12 months so its 50-60 $ a YEAR extra. So what????

Look kids I'm a mechanic and like I tell the Beemer motorcycle folks which BTW are
air/oil-cooled just like the Victory you can pay me know or pay me later.
You want to do everything you can to prevent detonation(pinging) in your motor. That detonation is eating a hole in your piston. Sure I know the ECU will prevent that by retarding the timing(its called an anti-knock program) but so what...you can pay me now or pay me later.
Case in point, I put a **** ton load of miles on a motorcycle 12 months a year damn near 365 and I only spend 60 bucks extra a year on premium fuel. Those of you in cold climates might spend 20 extra.....isn't your ride worth 20 extra bucks?

As far as where do I buy my fuel? I stick to stations that run through a lot of fuel when I can and I when I'm on the road using sketchy fuel I carry a bottle of Seafoam to add which BTW I use a scosche(1-2 oz) every 5th or 6th tank.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Gas

Actually many years ago premium gas was 98 and regular was 93 and only one station (Gulf)
had 87 and farmers used it in there tractors. Cars wouldn't run on 87 back then...I won't run anything less than 89 mostly 93 and she runs great.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
I'm in Australia and run unleaded 95 octane.
Occasionally I'll put Aussie 95 in my Vegas,
Prior to my big bore I ran our 98 (USA 91) exclusively
Definitely no ethanol.
When we pulled the motor down after I'd done 100,000kms or 60,000 mile on premium 98 there was quite a bit of carbon on top of the pistons, evidently that's from running an Octane higher than necessary.
Up till now and I've just passed 5000kms on the new motor I've still been running our 98 and with Kevinx's very rich tune.
Now the engines fully broke in. Had a few oil changes and been dynoed again I'm pondering dropping down to 95 particularly now it's getting cooler.
If for no other reason than preventing carbon build-up.
Ran a tank of 95 the other day from a rural servo cos that's the best they had, and didn't hear any pinging.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
This is after 100,000 kms (60,000 miles) on our Aussie Premium 98 (USA91) quite a bit of carbon build-up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
I'm telling ya, go into a marina if you can and fill up there, last time I did that my truck said I had over 440 miles to empty and the other places I go to on a good day with a fresh truck load I may get around 395-405 miles to empty.

My own math confirms this too, I always get better mileage out of the marina 89 octane fuel, my truck seems to like 89 the most. I am not sure if you can get 87 at the pumps at most marinas.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
My 12 KP seems to like mid grade best.
Yeah my 10 Vegas seems best on mid grade here,
Premium leaves carbon as my previous pics illustrate.
I've been experimenting dropping in stages all the way to lowest Octane.
It still don't perceptively ping on the low grade and runs okay but just feels better on mid.
Could by psychological...dunno
Anyway feels good on mid, saves a little cash, and have the comfort that I'm not carboning up my new pistons any more than I may have already breaking it in on Premium.
Zero ethanol of course.
I have an idea the 2010 is lower compression and turning 100" into 109" didn't bump it up much, if at all

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I'm telling ya, go into a marina if you can and fill up there, last time I did that my truck said I had over 440 miles to empty and the other places I go to on a good day with a fresh truck load I may get around 395-405 miles to empty.

My own math confirms this too, I always get better mileage out of the marina 89 octane fuel, my truck seems to like 89 the most. I am not sure if you can get 87 at the pumps at most marinas.
I've been running 90 octane, ethanol free, as often as I can. Anytime I can't get to an ethanol free pump, i run 89. 6 years of running the Freedom Vtwin and 89 octane has never caused a problem.

For what it's worth, I use this website anytime i have a long ride planned: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

21 - 38 of 38 Posts