Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like it says. I took it apart and all looked good, 6200 mi, but in fiddling with it some grease came off and I want to clean it up and redo it.
What kind of grease should I use that I can get from an auto parts store?
Also, should I get some lube to spray down the cable?

Leaving for the tail of the dragon on Sunday and I just want it to be fine..

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I used some moly grease I had lying around to grease the ends of mine. On the cross bikes (and I think all the newer Vics) the cables are sheathed and do not need to be internally lubricated.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have heard that lubing down the cable can do more harm than good. Just lube the ends. A lot of people use that white lithium or white lightning grease, I can't remember the exact name of it

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I used some honda molylube I had laying around for my dirtbike.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Grease will do nothing but attract dirt and grit, which can lead to cable failure. I've always run my cables dry, and have never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
just clean and lube the ends as per the above vid.
Adjust slack when overnight cold.
not recommended to lube the cable.
I use a Moly camshaft break in lube on mine, every oil change.
Moly grease is probably better.
And I change my oil before its due milage-wise.

·
Registered
216 Posts
What does the manual say about lubing the cable?
Easier to ask here than to run outside and dig the manual out, LOL.
Is it in the maintenance schedule?

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
read the above posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
read the above posts
I did before I asked, no one mentioned what the manual recommends/states.
Sorry to have bothered you, will get off my butt and find the manual....;)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Easy to miss, especially if you don't know you should be looking.
The clutch cable is a lined cable. Leave it alone. There have been notes of hard to pull cables from lubing. Grease the hubs on the end. Vic says to use their grease, but I use a marine linkage grease. Probably not critical as to the "kind" or "brand" as long as it is clean and greased. It is about a 5 minute job at oil change time.

KevinX says he lubes clutch cables and hasn't had a problems, but he could have just found something compatible with the sleeve in the housing.

Mine works fine, smooth and as it should. For now I'll stick to the OM recommendations.

Cheers

·
Registered
450 Posts
Maintenance
Mechanical Clutch Lever Lubrication
1. Remove the right side access cover. Loosen the clutch cable adjuster lock nut.
2. Turn the cable adjuster completely inward to provide maximum lever freeplay.
3. Remove the clutch lever pivot nut and screw. Disconnect the clutch cable from the clutch lever.
4. Remove any old grease and dirt from the lever and hous- ing. Lubricate the clutch lever and pivot screw with VIC- TORY Moly Assembly Grease or VICTORY All Purpose Grease.
Pivot Screw
ivot
5. Reconnect the clutch cable. Reinstall the lever, pivot
screw and nut. Hold the screw down and tighten the nut. P
Torque: 40 in-lbs (5 Nm)
6. Adjust clutch lever freeplay. See page 71.
Mechanical Clutch Cable Lubrication
Nut
Lubricate control cable ends at the intervals recommended in the periodic maintenance table beginning on page 55.
NOTICE: Externalcasingsarefactory-lubricated.Additionallubricationcouldbedetrimentaltocable performance.
Verify proper routing and smooth movement. Inspect for damage to the external casing, and inspect exposed cable wire for fraying, kinks or corrosion. Replace any damaged, sticky or sluggish cable.
1. Disconnect the cable at the clutch lever and at the primary cover.
2. Lubricate the barrel ends with VICTORY All Purpose Grease or equivalent.
3. Reconnect the cable and adjust freeplay as needed.

The maintenance table says every 10,000 miles. I just do it with every oil change....cheap and easy insurance.

·
Registered
851 Posts
For the question at hand, I clean the barrel ends with WD-40 and use white lithium grease to lube it.

For 45caldan the 2010 Cross Country/Roads manual states:
Throttle Cable Lubrication
Lubricate control cable ends at the intervals recommended in the periodic maintenance table beginning on page 133.
NOTICE: External casings are factory-lubricated. Additional lubrication could be detrimental to cable performance.
Verify proper routing and smooth movement. Inspect for damage to the external casing, and inspect exposed cable wire for fraying, kinks or corrosion. Replace any damaged, sticky or sluggish cable.
1. Disconnect the cable at the throttle body.
2. Apply a light film of VICTORY All Purpose Grease or equivalent to the barrel end.

Mechanical Clutch Lever Lubrication
1. Remove the right side access cover. Loosen the clutch cable adjuster lock nut.
2. Turn the cable adjuster completely inward to provide maximum lever freeplay.
3. Remove the clutch lever pivot nut and screw. Disconnect the clutch cable from the clutch lever.
4. Remove any old grease and dirt from the lever and housing. Lubricate the clutch lever and pivot screw with VICTORY Moly Assembly Grease or VICTORY All Purpose Grease.
5. Reconnect the clutch cable. Reinstall the lever, pivot screw and nut. Hold the screw down and tighten the nut.
Torque: 40 in-lbs (5 Nm)
6. Adjust clutch lever freeplay. See page 176.

Mechanical Clutch Cable Lubrication
Lubricate control cable ends at the intervals recommended in the periodic maintenance table beginning on page 133.
NOTICE: External casings are factory-lubricated. Additional lubrication could be detrimental to cable performance.
1. Disconnect the cable at the clutch lever and at the primary cover.
2. Lubricate the ball and barrel ends with VICTORY All Purpose Grease or equivalent.

Front Brake Lever
1. See page 73 for front brake lever reach adjustments.
2. Lubricate the pivot bushing at the intervals recommended in the periodic maintenance table beginning on page 133. Also lubricate any time binding is evident. Use VICTORY All Purpose Grease or equivalent.
3. Inspect brake pads as outlined on page 95.

Rear Brake Pedal
1. See page 76 for rear brake pedal adjustments.
2. Lubricate the pivot bushing at the intervals recommended in the periodic maintenance table beginning on page 133. Also lubricate any time binding is evident. Use VICTORY All Purpose Grease or equivalent.
3. Inspect brake pads as outlined on page 95.

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
thanks guys! cheers

·
13,003 Posts
Always lube the cable pivot end at clutch lever. Any good grease. At least once a month spray some lube at the clutch lever pivot area.
A cable end that does not pivot when you pull clutch lever will break on you

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Don't lube somethings!

Found out the hard way on this. DO NOT lube the throttle cable on the inside, do NOT spray or let lube into the actual cable that goes inside of the cable housing it will make it hang up. It is a pain in the a$$ to get it cleaned out. Lubing the incorrect can(will) make it hang up and on the throttle this is a bad thing. You can lube the cable ends on the throttle cable. It ended up be a real hassle because I did not look in the service manual, I went with the old school method, lubed it because I use to on the old bikes. It is worth the investment to buy the manual and USE it.thumb up

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
I did before I asked, no one mentioned what the manual recommends/states.
Sorry to have bothered you, will get off my butt and find the manual....;)
what's the manual say then?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts