Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the thread labeled "Drift" but then realized something this important really needs to be have it's own thread. Take it for what it's worth. So little time so little mind's. :(

What ever happened to all the good riders with heart's of gold!!?

Oh well... separating the mildly interesting from the really interesting is always fun too. :)

I sense a not so good bunch here these days compared to just a year ago.

Take Travis for instance. He gave his word to meet up with me then reniggered on his word and didn't even call.

In the motorcycle riding world I grew up in and lived in for decades; someone who doesn't keep their word is shunned permanently.

I've softened a lot since those days and accept today's kids (millennial's and younger) just don't have the same sense of honor we did and still do. That's fine and at this point I really could care less. I mean really; does anyone actually care what happens to the future of these kids who don't even care themselves?

I used to care but now that I see they don't care; why should I or anyone else?

Let's just drink beer, whiskey, do massive amounts of drugs and fade into oblivion. Without a generation that gives a **** to follow us; why should we care?

I really wanted to leave a better country than what we had handed to us to the next generation but now I see that is a total waste of time. They won't appreciate it or take care of it even if we could possibly do that now after almost seven years of the worst possible President in the history of this young and failing country.

What's even worse; these youngn's are going to leave the most decimated country that was once amazing to a bunch of kids what have no idea how to handle all the debt and problems these millennial and us left them.

The word 'sad' doesn't even begin to describe what we have done to them. Shame on us. Shame on us ALL!!

At least this great experiment was pretty good for a hundred years or more.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I apologized on the other thread Bbob... I took some of my clients down there with me and they where a **** show. We will hook up in AZ this fall. Once again my apologies.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
+You write like someone born and raised before computers, video games, downloaded music, and social media, like me. When we were kids, we went out and played with friends, we went to their houses and they to ours, when we needed to communicate, we phoned. That's all history now. Today, to the younger generations their smart phone is their everything and like Pavlov's dogs they respond rapidly to its call. They have superficial relationships with "friends" who have nothing of real value to say, but are responded to immediately because everyone requires and needs immediate gratification...there is no more waiting for anything as witness by those who walk around with their phone held in front of them in anticipation of the next whatever will arrive on it.
+Since everything is superficial and there are no consequences now for misdeeds, leaving you in the lurch is of no significance to the other party. Nobody is at fault anymore. That's imbued into kids by parents and teachers and politicians alike. That keeps attorneys busy now, doesn't it.
+They live for today and for themselves, going into debt for many needless things; smart phones, cable, new cars, clothes, motorcycles, concerts and so many more things you and I had little need for when younger. We were frugal, bought used and saved for retirements and rainy days--they don't. Most have no savings at all and only a fraction have what they should in a retirement plan.
+So yes,Bbob, people have changed into something that we weren't, creating a different society, but is it for the better or the worse? They'll have to deal with it, not us.
+They have to deal with the politicians and the politics they vote for. They have to deal with the social and fiscal irresponsibility of their generations that are causing decay in all we once valued. In other words--live with it kids, you made your bed and now you have to sleep in it. The oldsters are OK, to paraphrase a song.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Well... I have to agree with you guys. I am of the somewhat techie generation being as I am only 36 years of age. I do not operate the way you gentlemen are suggesting. I won't apologize any further to you Bbob only because I had a taken my work with me. If i had been strictly on a ride with buddies only that would not have happened. My generation appears to be quite competent as there are about 15 of us under the age of 45 that run a 2.5 billion dollar company...

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I posted this in the thread labeled "Drift" but then realized something this important really needs to be have it's own thread. Take it for what it's worth. So little time so little mind's. :(

What ever happened to all the good riders with heart's of gold!!?

Oh well... separating the mildly interesting from the really interesting is always fun too. :)

I sense a not so good bunch here these days compared to just a year ago.

Take Travis for instance. He gave his word to meet up with me then reniggered on his word and didn't even call.

In the motorcycle riding world I grew up in and lived in for decades; someone who doesn't keep their word is shunned permanently.

I've softened a lot since those days and accept today's kids (millennial's and younger) just don't have the same sense of honor we did and still do. That's fine and at this point I really could care less. I mean really; does anyone actually care what happens to the future of these kids who don't even care themselves?

I used to care but now that I see they don't care; why should I or anyone else?

Let's just drink beer, whiskey, do massive amounts of drugs and fade into oblivion. Without a generation that gives a **** to follow us; why should we care?

I really wanted to leave a better country than what we had handed to us to the next generation but now I see that is a total waste of time. They won't appreciate it or take care of it even if we could possibly do that now after almost seven years of the worst possible President in the history of this young and failing country.

What's even worse; these youngn's are going to leave the most decimated country that was once amazing to a bunch of kids what have no idea how to handle all the debt and problems these millennial and us left them.

The word 'sad' doesn't even begin to describe what we have done to them. Shame on us. Shame on us ALL!!

At least this great experiment was pretty good for a hundred years or more.
You're kicking a lot of dirt Bbob....Negative thoughts, draw negative actions.
Have more faith..."the plan" is not and never was in your hands. Let the people and things go that disappoint. If you do not then that is what you will attract...like a fly to ****.

·
Premium Member
6,146 Posts
What happened ... The world did not change ....

The world shifted, and most people do not realized it ... Yet

The Beatles sang: let it be, let it be
Guess they were right ahead of time ....

Enjoy people who are nice to you,
Turn your back on who isn't and smile, then leave no grudge and next time you see them no grudge eather

I used to love riding in winter, coz every biker raised his / her hand .... Times has changed .... Or shifted.
I use the following fraze for all my workers; change is good,

but it makes me wonder... does that work on; shifted world is good ? I do not think it is that positive what happened in the world, but no choice then to carry on lads

I WOULD RIDE WITH ANY OF YOU if i had the chance

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Funny... we sit here and look at today's generation and think "what the hell is the matter with kids today" ... yet our parents did the exact same thing. Nothing much has changed in that regard.

In larger cities, like where I live, the younger generation have become a group of "look at me" and they go around with this "entitlement" attitude.

ok, I stop now coz my hair is standing up (and I'm bald)

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
out riding today, riding fairly hard to keep up with a mate on his old Kwaka Z1000R MkII,
Swooping through our favourite sweeping bends an approaching car flashed its headlights, a warning sign, probably police ahead.
Another car flashed us, we made sure we were right on the legal speed.
then two Harleys came towards us, no nod/wave/or flash mmmm?
then another car flashed us and another, then a few cars that didnt then 3 sportsbikes in a group , I saw no warning but my mate said he saw one of the sportsbikes flash him, so I missed that, then more cars and one flashed ..
mile or so further we pass a speed camera van parked on the side of the road

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Thanks Bbob... I felt bad about not being able to connect. My job is really cool and I am very grateful for my lifestyle. However I have a hard managing time between work and personal.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Thanks Bbob... I felt bad about not being able to connect. My job is really cool and I am very grateful for my lifestyle. However I have a hard managing time between work and personal.
That's the interesting phenomena about today--because we are so connected to everyone and everything, we can socialize at work and work when we socialize. The line is not only thin, it has disappeared for many.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
One of the most important things I've learned in my 56 years is that people will always disappoint you. So, I make every opportunity to not be one of those people. Also, if I hold on to a grudge or have bitterness, it will eat me alive like a cancer.

I appreciate anyone that desires to be in my company. Riding with a buddy, stopping along to the way for coffee and pie is good for the soul. Tomorrow, one of us may not be around! Every day is a blessing.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Dill, you are so right on all you said. And how well I know, after a stroke and two bouts with a rare cancer of which I am the only survivor and still on top of the lawn and vertical. In a way, you all are my riding buddies when I can't ride. Be safe and sane.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Funny... we sit here and look at today's generation and think "what the hell is the matter with kids today" ... yet our parents did the exact same thing. Nothing much has changed in that regard.
You seem to be in the rare minority that recognize this. EVERY generation looks at the next and sees the end of civilized society, the end of the "good old days", and so on. There was a time when you could leave your home with no door on it at all for weeks or months or years at a time and when you came back, your fire pit and cave wall drawings would be exactly as you left them (though there might be a bear in there). The along came some hooligan that invented the hut and all of a sudden people were closing their doors on each other. It was the ruination of society. Nobody just wandered into your home to chat anymore, now suddenly you had to knock (gasp) and be invited in. Things were so much more friendly and open before this happened. :crzy:

Seriously, the world is changing, always has been, always will be. Each generation will scorn the next, imo, because they can't or won't accept the latest wave of change. The current generation is destined to do the same when they get older and have kids/grandkids of their own as will that generation and the one after that and so on.

It's one thing to be nostalgic for one's youth or past in general but it something else entirely to blame a generation for the problems of the world. Lets not forget who brought that generation into the world, who taught them (or failed to in some cases) right from wrong. There will always be influences out of our control that affect the course of our children's lives, but it starts with the parents (the previous generation doing the complaining) to get their kids on the right path from the start.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts