Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was taking apart my Vegas to look things over and clean her up and I found the following (2) things.

1. Victory Fuel Controller, gen. 3 (VFC-III)

Have no idea if I need to do anything with this?? I hope it's set and I don't need to do anything with it as I would have no idea... LOL

2. K&N Powersports Air Filters

Just bought the bike from someone who only had it for the summer so this person really knew nothing about the bike. So I was pleasantly surprised when I found these two items. From what I can see I won't need to clean the air filter for 50,000 miles? That seems crazy to me... does anyone clean these before then? Anyways I just wanted to share my excitement with the forum... Not that anyone will give a crap but hey I wanted to participate. LOL

·
Super Moderator
4,990 Posts
Was taking apart my Vegas to look things over and clean her up and I found the following (2) things.

1. Victory Fuel Controller, gen. 3 (VFC-III)

Have no idea if I need to do anything with this?? I hope it's set and I don't need to do anything with it as I would have no idea... LOL

2. K&N Powersports Air Filters

Just bought the bike from someone who only had it for the summer so this person really knew nothing about the bike. So I was pleasantly surprised when I found these two items. From what I can see I won't need to clean the air filter for 50,000 miles? That seems crazy to me... does anyone clean these before then? Anyways I just wanted to share my excitement with the forum... Not that anyone will give a crap but hey I wanted to participate. LOL
Lots of us give a crap because a new bike is very exciting. The K&N will require a filter charger kit to clean or just purchase the oil at any auto-parts store and lightly oil after cleaning. Google "cleaning a K&N filter" there's TONS of help for that.

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your cool vic,

Personally i clean / oil my K&N every year 1 x

But that is just me ....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of us give a crap because a new bike is very exciting. The K&N will require a filter charger kit to clean or just purchase the oil at any auto-parts store and lightly oil after cleaning. Google "cleaning a K&N filter" there's TONS of help for that.
I actually already watched a few videos on this. :) You are right tho... a new bike is exciting and thanks for the input!

I plan on cleaning the throttle body, plugs, wires, oil change and change the fork oil. Other than that I don't see that this bike needs anything. Whoever had it before me took amazing care of it and added some nice things to it.

Ok enough rambling. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your cool vic,

Personally i clean / oil my K&N every year 1 x

But that is just me ....

I'm probably going to be like you and do the same thing.. I assume it can't hurt and it allows us to work on the bike. Thanks for the welcome as well.

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
I'm probably going to be like you and do the same thing.. I assume it can't hurt and it allows us to work on the bike. Thanks for the welcome as well.
A lot depends on where you live and the cleanliness of the air there. For instance; if you lived on a dirt road or rode on one often, you would want to clean the filter more often than if you lived in the mountains with no dirt roads that you rode on.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Awesome finds =) I was excited to find the previous owner already had a pig tail installed for my Battery Tender lol. Welcome and Grats on your new ride. Love my Vegas!!! Got any pics?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome finds =) I was excited to find the previous owner already had a pig tail installed for my Battery Tender lol. Welcome and Grats on your new ride. Love my Vegas!!! Got any pics?

Funny you should say this... It just occurred to me that I remember seeing something attached to the batter and didn't think anything of it... after a quick google I see it was an attachment (pig tail) for a battery tender... LOL of course I don't have the part that you actually plug into the wall socket... Oh well...

Here is my original post with some pics if you are still interested.

http://www.victoryforums.com/5-rules-new-members-introductions/151570-new-victory-owner-forum-member.html

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice bike. Love that red.
Thanks... I meant to ask you earlier if that is your bike in your profile? I see it has the bullet fairing? If that is the case could you give my your opinion on it? Does it help deflect the wind at all? I read someone say it helped with the wind to the chest but not the face... Just wondering what you thought. Mine came with a massive fairing that is scratched and I'm not a big fan of that look for this bike so I won't be putting that on. But this could be an option if I feel I need it down the road.

Have a good one!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought mine last year and cleaned the k&n big sucker filter and throttle bodies... made a big difference. Time to do it again.

After cleaning the TB's you'll notice idle speed increases.
I need to change my plugs and wires but I watched a video that said to clean the throttle bodies first. Said to start the bike with the old plugs right after cleaning the throttle bodies so that it won't dirty up the new plugs? Any idea if this is true? I also saw a video that said I might have to adjust the idle after cleaning the throttle bodies??? I don't plan on doing this until spring as I don't want to run the bike in the cold and why let the new oil sit all winter...

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
Watch this video by Rylan Vos. He is one of a handful of the best Vic mech's in the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI9AElXB05M

One other bit of wisdom I can pass along is to not over think this. Take your time and learn but don't get overly paranoid about what you can or should do. These bikes are well built and will last a really long time. That doesn't mean they are perfect but are usually easy to maintain.

You have a good one. Just take care of it and it will take care of you.

PS: Don't let anyone else ride it like I did with mine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Watch this video by Rylan Vos. He is one of a handful of the best Vic mech's in the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI9AElXB05M

One other bit of wisdom I can pass along is to not over think this. Take your time and learn but don't get overly paranoid about what you can or should do. These bikes are well built and will last a really long time. That doesn't mean they are perfect but are usually easy to maintain.

You have a good one. Just take care of it and it will take care of you.

PS: Don't let anyone else ride it like I did with mine.
I've actually watched this video a couple of times. Thought it was very well done esp. good for someone like me who is new to Victory and a part time do it yourself-er.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thanks... I meant to ask you earlier if that is your bike in your profile? I see it has the bullet fairing? If that is the case could you give my your opinion on it? Does it help deflect the wind at all? I read someone say it helped with the wind to the chest but not the face... Just wondering what you thought. Mine came with a massive fairing that is scratched and I'm not a big fan of that look for this bike so I won't be putting that on. But this could be an option if I feel I need it down the road.

Have a good one!
The Bullet FX fairing:
I like it. It does help with wind to the chest but the wind is now hitting me just under the visor on my 3/4 helm (I'm 5'10" tall). This really sucks. With my full face helm on it feels great as the wind has nothing to hit and lift up on. If I duck down slightly I am totally out of the wind but you can't ride that way long lol. I know they make an extension for w/s portion of the fairing to make it come up a bit farther. if I keep it I may buy one.
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing Booster Wing Lite - RevZilla
When I installed it on my bike I read some others posts about it and followed what they did. This involved turning the mounting bracket for the headlamp around to get just a bit more extension so it fit in the hole of the fairing better. The fairing fits tight around the headlamp and looks made for the bike even though it's an HD fairing. The problem with moving the headlamp out is now you cant adjust the angle on the fairing to help get more wind blockage. I never did put the headlamp back to its original position to see if it helps with wind more.
Personally I like and don't like the look all at the same time lol. It sux being me. I wish at times I had saved up more and went with the full Batwing fairing as I think it would give better wind blockage. I am still kicking around the idea of selling it to get a Batwing but haven't given in fully. I do like that my bike looks unique but also feel the fairing gives my bike a Japanese bike look which I don't like.
Hope this helps :smile

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I need to change my plugs and wires but I watched a video that said to clean the throttle bodies first. Said to start the bike with the old plugs right after cleaning the throttle bodies so that it won't dirty up the new plugs? Any idea if this is true? I also saw a video that said I might have to adjust the idle after cleaning the throttle bodies??? I don't plan on doing this until spring as I don't want to run the bike in the cold and why let the new oil sit all winter...
Do what the vid says... I just now had to turn my idle up some because it has gotten so low which is a sure indicator TB's need cleaning.

As everyone says these are tough motors, this is first bike I've owned that I can do maint work myself which is something I do not like doing. It is done right and saves $$.

The bikes are built with us in mind so that we can wrench on them. I appreciate that and I'm a big fan.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do what the vid says... I just now had to turn my idle up some because it has gotten so low which is a sure indicator TB's need cleaning.

As everyone says these are tough motors, this is first bike I've owned that I can do maint work myself which is something I do not like doing. It is done right and saves $$.

The bikes are built with us in mind so that we can wrench on them. I appreciate that and I'm a big fan.
Have to admit I knew nothing about Victory Motorcycle... I knew I wasn't going to pay the price they want for a HD so I assumed I was going to get a Honda or Suzuki cruiser style bike. Came across this bike in a want ad and fell in love. Price was great... bike looked mint and that was it. Now I'm hooked doing as much research about the bike and I've notice it does seem to be a fairly easy bike to work on. Before the internet I wouldn't have even thought about it but now there is so much information out there showing you step by step that this actually seems fun. :) I've said it before but I can't wait for spring so I can ride this thing. Got a great deal buying it this time of year but man it's killing me to have to wait to ride it. LOL

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Bullet FX fairing:
I like it. It does help with wind to the chest but the wind is now hitting me just under the visor on my 3/4 helm (I'm 5'10" tall). This really sucks. With my full face helm on it feels great as the wind has nothing to hit and lift up on. If I duck down slightly I am totally out of the wind but you can't ride that way long lol. I know they make an extension for w/s portion of the fairing to make it come up a bit farther. if I keep it I may buy one.
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing Booster Wing Lite - RevZilla
When I installed it on my bike I read some others posts about it and followed what they did. This involved turning the mounting bracket for the headlamp around to get just a bit more extension so it fit in the hole of the fairing better. The fairing fits tight around the headlamp and looks made for the bike even though it's an HD fairing. The problem with moving the headlamp out is now you cant adjust the angle on the fairing to help get more wind blockage. I never did put the headlamp back to its original position to see if it helps with wind more.
Personally I like and don't like the look all at the same time lol. It sux being me. I wish at times I had saved up more and went with the full Batwing fairing as I think it would give better wind blockage. I am still kicking around the idea of selling it to get a Batwing but haven't given in fully. I do like that my bike looks unique but also feel the fairing gives my bike a Japanese bike look which I don't like.
Hope this helps :smile
I feel the same way about this. One min. I kind of like the look and then the next min. not so sure. LOL I first noticed them on Son of Anarchy... some of the bikes had them and thought it looked pretty sharp. I think your bike looks pretty good with it actually as well. At least from that pic. Not a huge deal right now but thought I would ask what you thought. Thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts