Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I can easily admit that the Harley marketing, and peer-influence really has worn me down.

I want a Harley.

I have searched up and down for models that appeal to me (aside from the V-Rod Muscle which would compete for love with my beloved Hammer S) and I'm so wishy-washy on most models. However, I did find two I really dig, and both are Dyna models.

Screamin' Eagle Dyna from 07/08 which I think is one of the most beautiful bikes ever made:

And the Fat Bob:

So I finally found a Screamin Eagle Dyna last week and took it for a ride. I was fully expecting the ride to live up to the look, and was ready to take her home. But then.... OMG

The bike felt and sounded like it was falling apart. Up until I hit 40mph it felt like it would barely stay running, and I was fully expecting parts to randomly start falling off onto the road behind me. It was that bad. It felt like a 76 Pinto with a blown cylinder...

It was also heavy to the left. Each stop, I would put my feet down, and the bike leaned hard to the left. I found out later it was due to the weight of the wide primary on the left side of the bike. It was totally imbalanced.

I suppose I've been taking the Hammer's smoothness for granted. I had no idea how UNsmooth a bike could really be. Now bear in mind that this bike used was $19,000, and when it was new it was $30,000!!! Drop $30k on a bike that feels like it's ready to break down? No thanks.

So I talked to a few Harley employees and they said that this is typical of all Harleys except for the Softail and V-Rod due to the rubber mounted engine. The Softail is the only Harley V-Twin that is counterbalanced, and any Dyna model I'm interested in would feel and act the same.

Sorry, I just don't get it. I'll be sticking with Victory.... thumb up

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I think as is with Victory you get used to the idiosyncrasies of a model.

Our bikes are not perfect either. I've never ridden an HD but I hear and read that they are smoother than Victory's when they get up to speed.

HP and TQ are not a factor to many people.

That bike in the picture is sweet!

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Sounds to me like Diamond needs to go the same route as BanditSRT8 did. Go test ride one Diamond! Do it! :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well I hear ya. I'm one for power, I was thinking of getting a harley once. A friend of mine has the fat bob and when I was beside him on my sport bike at a red light he was bouncing all over the place. I asked if that was normal, he said yup. I would have put up with the paint shaker if it had the power to back up the roughness..... it doesn't. My buddy now shows a bit of envy when I'm beside him with my vegas. The smooth idling...... and leaving him in the dust every time.

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is also how I came to decide on victory: I test rode a dyna. I love the look, I love the size and cornering clearance, but I do not love the vibration. The idle vibe was ok. Even the cruise vibe was fine. What got me was the engine braking vibe. Felt like the rear tire was chattering all over the pavement. I couldn't imagine what that would feel like even in a moderate lean.

It's true the softails vibe significantly less with the counterbalancers, but unfortunately the chassis isn't as good and rigid as the dyna.

For those that haven't ridden a dyna yet, go ride one and see. Its not at all subtle or idiosyncratic. It's downright perplexing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
When making my final decision on the XC, I test rode an 2010 Ultra Classic. I felt as though I was a primate attempting to commit a sexual act upon a football . . .

·
Registered
442 Posts
When making my final decision on the XC, I test rode an 2010 Ultra Classic. I felt as though I was a primate attempting to commit a sexual act upon a football . . .
so, you're saying, it was awkward? :ltr:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What got me was the engine braking vibe. Felt like the rear tire was chattering all over the pavement. I couldn't imagine what that would feel like even in a moderate lean.
You nailed it, and I forgot to mention this earlier. The downshifting was downright scary.

What was worse, was the fact it was the uber-powerful 110 motor, and I was starting to get into the power when a car came out of nowhere and I needed to come to a fairly quick stop... with what had to be the worst brakes EVER.

So as I realize the brakes weren't doing really anything I begin to realy grab the front and nearly stand on the rear... all while downshifting like mad... and I BARELY stopped before plowing into that car.

Just too many things to hate about the bike. Shame, it's so gorgeous. I'll stick with my smooth riding, dual-disc Brembo equipped ole Vic I suppose ;)

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
... I test rode an 2010 Ultra Classic. I felt as though I was a primate attempting to commit a sexual act upon a football . . .
:ltr: :ltr: :ltr: cheers

·
Registered
442 Posts
You nailed it, and I forgot to mention this earlier. The downshifting was downright scary.

What was worse, was the fact it was the uber-powerful 110 motor, and I was starting to get into the power when a car came out of nowhere and I needed to come to a fairly quick stop... with what had to be the worst brakes EVER.

So as I realize the brakes weren't doing really anything I begin to realy grab the front and nearly stand on the rear... all while downshifting like mad... and I BARELY stopped before plowing into that car.

Just too many things to hate about the bike. Shame, it's so gorgeous. I'll stick with my smooth riding, dual-disc Brembo equipped ole Vic I suppose ;)
That's actually really interesting that you said that, because honestly that was the ONLY thing I liked about the dyna more than every victory I test rode! I think the victory brakes are absolute crap. That's why I went with a dual disc setup and I still think it's horrible. I am looking into other pads or even carbon discs/pads.

How many HD's did you ride? I wonder if it was a fluke? Every one I rode had pretty strong brakes (for a cruiser).

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you are ever considering a Harley check out renting a bike from Eagle Riders, the rental company is great to deal with but the selection of bikes they have are mostly HD. I'v tried a few and have been surprised at how awkward they seemed, and the shaking,.. holy cow they shake. Great looking bikes that start hard and will not go into neutral.

Makes me appreciate my Vegas, last time out I rented a Street Glide, all it did was convince me my next bike is gonna be another Victory.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a HD. Many of my friends still own them. I was originally going to buy another and get me a Dyna Wide Glide but then I took a ride on the Vic. The proof is in the pudding. My 100ci Vic will rape any basic modded HD, save for maybe a Vrod (never raced one). HD's are nice bikes. i'm not a hater and think there is supposed to be only "one true" American vtwin cruiser. However HD's, Vics, even Japs bikes all have their issues. It's just that HD technology doesn't change and for the price they charge on bikes, they are sooo overrated. They are slow. They costs $$$$ to own and mod. But they will always have the prestige of being an "HD". I will say their paint finish is second to none though. My HD has hardly any orange peel in the finish and it always looked "wet" no matter what. Some things I miss about my HD but in the end, I'm glad to be a part of the Victory saga. I hope both companies survive long after I'm too old to throw a leg over any bike. If you care about the ride, I suggest ride a comparable Vic to an HD. You will pick the Vic if you're any kind of a muscle, torque junky. If you're all about the "image" then an HD will get you there immediately. Ride what pumps your blood.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's actually really interesting that you said that, because honestly that was the ONLY thing I liked about the dyna more than every victory I test rode! I think the victory brakes are absolute crap. That's why I went with a dual disc setup and I still think it's horrible. I am looking into other pads or even carbon discs/pads.

How many HD's did you ride? I wonder if it was a fluke? Every one I rode had pretty strong brakes (for a cruiser).

You need to ride a Hammer S then, we have different brakes. Te Brembos are insane. I have Brembos on my cars as well, damn fine product.

My Vic brakes are so good, they are startling the first time you hit them.

I've ridden other Harleys, but none that were rubber mounted motors, so this was entirely different. I have ridden V-Rods and a Softail Night Train. Those of course are very different than all other Harleys.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I think the victory brakes are absolute crap. That's why I went with a dual disc setup and I still think it's horrible. I am looking into other pads or even carbon discs/pads.
Here's the pads you want: EBC's FA261HH. The current issue of Rider mag has a review of them on a XC. Also read the reviews of them. Most think they are awesome. Better stopping without hurting the discs - what's not to like.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Vic brakes crap? Brembo don't make crap and I only have single rotor up front and it hauls ole porker down pretty well. Pads are the key to any brake system though.

HD better brakes than Vic? Never. Ridden more HD's than I can count. ALL OF THEM got wooden shoes for stoppers.

I'm not a brand loyal sheep either. I'll buy what pumps my blood pressure, but I've never, and I mean never, ridden any HD that had a decent set of stoppers. I've had my share of "oh #$%#" moments on my Sporty (the lightest HD you can get mind you) and c ursed those brakes like a drunken sailor many times. I swear the caliper pistons are made of marshmallows and the OE pads are made of plywood..maybe MDf on a crappy day in Milwaukee :D

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts

You need to get a ceramic brake set up from Conquest; if it bothers you that much. Do you have the lever set on 1??

Also just in case any of you don't know. REAL HARLEY'S have cast iron cyls

·
Registered
442 Posts
You need to ride a Hammer S then, we have different brakes. Te Brembos are insane. I have Brembos on my cars as well, damn fine product.
didn't realize the S and non-S have different calipers. The fiche's don't show that. Mine are definitely tokico. Do you know if you also have different pads and/or rotors? That should have a bigger impact on braking power than the calipers alone.

Here's the pads you want: EBC's FA261HH. The current issue of Rider mag has a review of them on a XC. Also read the reviews of them. Most think they are awesome. Better stopping without hurting the discs - what's not to like.
Nice, I will look those up! Is there a link to the Rider magazine article up yet, or only hardcopy (I just searched and couldn't find).

Vic brakes crap? Brembo don't make crap and I only have single rotor up front and it hauls ole porker down pretty well. Pads are the key to any brake system though.
I have tokico calipers. I agree pads are the key. Looking into LRB golds, the EBCs just recommended above, and even the Swan ceramic rotor/ LRB pad system.

You need to get a ceramic brake set up from Conquest; if it bothers you that much. Do you have the lever set on 1??
I actually have been eyeing exactly that. I want to try different pads first to see if they get me where I want to be, given the cost of getting two Swan rotors ($1200, plus pads).

I've ridden with the lever in multiple settings, including 1. All of them are not effective enough to be confidence inspiring.

cheers

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Night and day difference between the S and regular Hammer as far as the brakes go.

Brembos are premium racing brakes (for cars and bikes), and I would bet that the master cylinder is different as well (but don't know, maybe Kevinx can chime in here).

You don't have to put much effort into braking on the S, and on the first ride, you get a little pucker going on because the front is quite grabby, and the rear (which is usually useless on any bike) is very effective as well. thumb up

I'm sure there are a ton of great brakes you can get on the aftermarket, but I won't ever need to search any out because these puppies are perfect for me. I ride my Hammer as hard as I ride my sportbike... and in all honesty, these brakes are better than the brakes on my GSXR.

·
Premium Member
13,704 Posts
I still like Harley and want to get one more. A Cross Bones.

Gotta watch out for the 110 ci motor though. They are still working the bugs out and it's been several years since they first came out. Figure they are a 60k motor before needing a rebuild; if they last that long. Word is by 2012 they will have it worked out so the 2013 110 engine should be good to go.
I suggest ride a comparable Vic to an HD. You will pick the Vic if you're any kind of a muscle, torque junky. If you're all about the "image" then an HD will get you there immediately.
This line by haknslash pretty much says it all I think. :)

Glad to hear this RiCZ. I just bought the rear version of them because I see my fluid level starting to get low on the rear. Usually means it's getting close. I use my rear brakes more than some; especially after watching the "Ride Like A Pro" video. I'll pick up the fronts soon. Not wanting to take away any business from our vendors but in my search for pads I found this site with some fairly low prices.

I'm ok with the stock brakes on this XC but there is room for improvement so I hope the pads do the trick. thumb up

1 - 20 of 25 Posts