Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Im new here and this is my first post. I consider myself a "noob" when it comes to motorcycles (less than 10K in the seat) and Im considering buying a Victory from a friend. Ill give you the background and then get to the question.

The bike in question is a 2001 Victory V92C Deluxe, with all the bells and whistles, and 41,xxx miles. It's in excellent condition both asthetically and mechanically. The owner, my friend, is very anal retentive when it comes to the preventive maintenance and care of his motorcycles. This thing has been garage kept its entire life, washed every saturday in season, and has been regularly serviced. Its only had one repair performed to it, which was a new oil cooler due to a mishap while trailering the bike to another state.

As stated above, the mileage is 41,xxx. I know this is "average" mileage for a bike this age. What is the average life expectancy (miles) of Victory motorcycles if ridden responsibly and properly maintained? I know there is no definitive answer to this question, but Im looking for guidance so I can determine if it would be wise to spend $5000 on this bike right now, or if I should wait and spend a little more for something with less miles.

Also, not that it matters, but he is upgrading to an ultra-classic so he and his wife can better enjoy long rides.

So... What say ye?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Kevin doesn't this bike fall into the transmission category?

FireFF welome to the VF. Tell your friend to hop over to the Victory dealer and try the New Cross Roads before he buys the UC. The XC is the new fairing and bagged Victory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now youve got me nervous with the "transmission category" remark. :) Was that in reference to the gears being straight cut and sounding clunky when you shift? (My friend was talking about this, comparing it to the later models.)

I would tell him, but he already bought the Harley!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Now youve got me nervous with the "transmission category" remark. :) Was that in reference to the gears being straight cut and sounding clunky when you shift? (My friend was talking about this, comparing it to the later models.)

I would tell him, but he already bought the Harley!
No worries for an 01. Yes they shift a little on the John Deer side, but they are plenty stout. The 99-00 bikes had problems with the transmission, but in 01 the entire shift mechinisam was redesigned.

Quit trying to scare the man Dthumb up

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the info guys, youve really put my mind at ease. Ive done some looking and some reading, and Ive found that I can get the same bike with less miles for the same money elsewhere, BUT.... I wont know how well it was taken care of or how much it was abused.

With this one, I know where she's been, and I know she was never ridden hard or put away wet.

So.... Im picking her up tomorrow! I'll post a pic when I get her home.

Again, I really appreciate the help. cheers

·
Registered
99 Posts
welcome buddy....the two guys that have commented here already and for that matter the rest of the boys on this forum are all a wealth of info and very bloody helpful...you have fallen on your feet so to say with this forum! good luck and happy riding thumb up

·
Registered
130 Posts
JohnnyB up in Dallas has over 100K on his, I was chasing him with 60K on mine but then a Vision followed me home last Spring and I kept both of them.
Take good care of your new scoot and she'll take care of you.
thumb up

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's good to hear, jus bouth a '99 V92C.

Ya know if they had some starter whine?
Not sure about starter whine.... but they did have a good year with a full body merlot! Enough of the bad humor... I know don't give up the day job. My 04 starter whines a bit on start. Not sure if that is normal or not.

·
Registered
236 Posts
generally a victory if properly maintained will outlast a marriage..maybe two...

That's good to hear, jus bouth a '99 V92C.

Ya know if they had some starter whine?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts