Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you will need a dipstick thermometer or laser meter.
I was in a Christmas parade that moved very slow and it was in the mid seventies - the parade was 45 minutes of idle and creeping. When we stopped after - my oil temp was..................275 degrees. Needless to say no more parades - no problems tho - I've put on at least 1000 miles since then.
How hot can these machines go w/o problem?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Hot desert hot

Live in the Arizona desert. It gets freakin HOT here. Bikes come very lean from the factory. Run premium fuel most the time. Got over 14K on the bike now. Kind of leary of getting the temp gauge for my XRs. Had a Triumph and I installed a temp gauge after riding it around this desert for a couple of years. Keep that Triumph for 74K miles and it was air/oil cooled, no problems,and yes the temp gauge was scary to look at. For decades bikes were just air cooled. So I tell myself not to worry about it and yes I run synthetic oil , Amsoil 10w-40 motorcycle oil. Also ran Amsoil in the Triumph. ---- Gets very hot here in traffic, enjoy the bike and try not to worry about it getting to hot.cheers

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Hot

I was in stop n go traffic (really really slow) up in Laconia, I have the Witch Doctor oil gauge stick that reads up to 250, well it went past 250 and started around again and stopped at 120, god only knows how hot it got, but bike has run fine.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
That's an easy one .. Wreck in the already heavy traffic of Daytona Bikefest .. Bike got so hot just shut off and walked it off the road and just sit a while until traffic started flowing again .. Don't know what the Temp was probably better I don't but the heat from the pipes was burning my legs although was only 60 degrees out ..

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
My bike has run up to 250 prior to my tune. Now it never has run over 210 no matter what I do. I ran all day on Saturday it was 82 * out and the gauge (dip stick) hit 190* Purdy hot and clammy here in Florida on Saturday. Sunday we had a little front come thru as it hit 68* for a high. Still 190* at the gauge which is about purr-fact. HD and Vic's Air cooled motors need to be tuned. Too hot from the factory and too lean. Spend the money if you are keeping your bike. The outcome is better power, fuel economy and oh did we mention cooler running? :ride:

·
Super Moderator
4,989 Posts
My Ultra used to run 300+ for extended periods 2 up at 75mph for 200+ mile rides and the oil tested good.

My Vic might hit 250 and 250 ain't sh** don't give 275 a second thought. Basically big deal.

AZ will test them that's for sure I ride all summer in 110+.

82 is hot???

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info...I love my bike and don't want to warp anything.

If I were to do the parade again I was thinking of a 12 volt fan set up to blow air between the cylinders, or on the oil cooler or maybe both. I think that would help

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
you will need a dipstick thermometer or laser meter.
I was in a Christmas parade that moved very slow and it was in the mid seventies - the parade was 45 minutes of idle and creeping. When we stopped after - my oil temp was..................275 degrees. Needless to say no more parades - no problems tho - I've put on at least 1000 miles since then.
How hot can these machines go w/o problem?
Rode once for about 45-60 minutes, in completely jammed freeway traffic due to some accident, creeping in 1st gear only, in over 100°F ambient temp. I thought that was the perfect test to see if I overheat. Don't know how hot the bike got, but I was ready to pass out from the heat - bike had no problems at all. She was barely broken in at that time, and it gave me confidence that I can ride it anywhere without having an overheating problem. thumb up

·
13,047 Posts
So how do know your temp gage is accurate? These temp gages have been around for a long time and over 90% are not accurate.
If you do paradise and a lot of hot stop and go traffic you should really change your oil more often.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
My Ultra used to run 300+ for extended periods 2 up at 75mph for 200+ mile rides and the oil tested good.

My Vic might hit 250 and 250 ain't sh** don't give 275 a second thought. Basically big deal.

AZ will test them that's for sure I ride all summer in 110+.

82 is hot???
82 isn't hot. Its the 100% humidity that makes
it uncomfortable. I have been to Arizona in 110* heat. No thanks!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
So how do know your temp gage is accurate? These temp gages have been around for a long time and over 90% are not accurate.
If you do paradise and a lot of hot stop and go traffic you should really change your oil more often.
I have the Vic oil temp gauge/dipstick. They are not accurate. When I got mine home I boiled some water to see if it would read 212*f and I was surprised that it was close. There is an adjustment nut under the thermometer if you need to get it close to accurate.

·
Super Moderator
4,989 Posts
82 isn't hot. Its the 100% humidity that makes
it uncomfortable. I have been to Arizona in 110* heat. No thanks!
It's not that bad 110 is warm 118* now that was a hot day ride.. I couldn't hold my front brake for long because the lever burned my hand. :D

I'll take 110* over 80* and nasty sticky make my balls sweat humidity any day. But that's just me. :)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It's not that bad 110 is warm 118* now that was a hot day ride.. I couldn't hold my front brake for long because the lever burned my hand. :D

I'll take 110* over 80* and nasty sticky make my balls sweat humidity any day. But that's just me. :)
LOL. Yeah we do go thru a lot of powder here in the summer. Living on the east coast isn't as bad as the west coast of Fl. The ocean breeze can help ease the feeling of the humidity. When we were in AZ. we rented a jeep and went topless most of the time the weather was great. A few days over 115 and we just stayed out of the sun. Like being in an oven. I had a headache every day. My wife would move to Sedona tomorrow. I got to have my sweaty tropical climate.

·
Super Moderator
4,989 Posts
LOL. Yeah we do go thru a lot of powder here in the summer. Living on the east coast isn't as bad as the west coast of Fl. The ocean breeze can help ease the feeling of the humidity. When we were in AZ. we rented a jeep and went topless most of the time the weather was great. A few days over 115 and we just stayed out of the sun. Like being in an oven. I had a headache every day. My wife would move to Sedona tomorrow. I got to have my sweaty tropical climate.
Sedona is amazing but $$$$ and you nailed it about the oven for sure.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
How come know one has figured out how to put a real temperature gage on the bike , you know like we all did in our cars back in the day. Do they not have a spot to add one, could you put a T at the sending unit . I'm sure some one like Auto Meter makes some sort of gauge that could be fitted on the bike somewhere. I'll look around later and see what I come up with.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
How come know one has figured out how to put a real temperature gage on the bike , you know like we all did in our cars back in the day. Do they not have a spot to add one, could you put a T at the sending unit . I'm sure some one like Auto Meter makes some sort of gauge that could be fitted on the bike somewhere. I'll look around later and see what I come up with.
Dave: I've been thinking the same thing, almost ever since I got my XCT two years ago. Not sure where to put a gauge -- probably in an enclosure, and then in a handlebar mount.

I bought the Vic dipstick gauge with the bike, but that's now sitting on a shelf somewhere. I used it for a very short time, but found it too hard to remove (to check oil) and too hard to see.

Last week, I got the latest JEGS catalog. Here's a sample of the oil temp gauges they sell: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/KeywordSearchCmd?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&Ntk=all&Jnar=0&itemPerPage=90&Ne=1+2+3+13+1147708&searchTerm=oil+temperature+meter .

One of those, for instance, is this digital one: http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/6348/10002/-1 , which "Includes 1/8" NPT sender and 3/8" and 1/2" NPT adapters, 8' wiring harness." I like the idea of a digital one, and adding wiring instead of plumbing. I haven't explored the stock oil lines, regarding where you could add a sender or what size adapter you'd need to do that. If you make a project out of this, I'd appreciate learning what you find out about those sorts of questions.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I know this sounds really bad but I think a temp gauge would have me constantly thinking something was wronge when the temp moved up a tad high. What's the old saying..."out of sight, out of mind".

·
13,047 Posts
I would think that if oil temp was something to worry about Vic would say something in the oner's book.
If you use common cents and don't sit in stop and go traffic when its over 95 and don't do parades on hot days you would be fine.
Side roads or back roads on hot days would be smarter. Yes you'll not get home as fast but then your doing less harm to the motor. I bet more guys do more damage to there motor on start up then riding in hot weather.
If your moving at a steady 5 or 10 miles per hour I think your oil would be fine.

·
Registered
545 Posts
1. Get gauge unlocked by Vic dealer.
2. Get instructions for ambient
temperature hook up.
3. Plumb into oil line flowing into cooler
With tee fitting and install temperature
Sending unit.
4. Wire into ambient temp readout.
You now have oil temp factory readout. Just a thought.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 39 Posts