2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bottom of rear this thing sticking out.

IMG_20200522_202648~2.jpg

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm trying to work out what your photo actually is! If it's a cylinder then I reckon that's a piece of base gasket.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to work out what your photo actually is! If it's a cylinder then I reckon that's a piece of base gasket.
Indeed it is the base of the rear cylinder.
Nothing leaking so I'm assuming the gasket is doing the job if that is what it is.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Number 8 in the picture.

92684752-794F-43E8-BE5A-479DD46A457A.jpeg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mate I'm not sure how long it's going to be before that starts leaking - but unfortunately I reckon it's going to be sooner rather than later. Big V-twins produce quite a lot of crankcase pressure and that base gasket is coming apart.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mate I'm not sure how long it's going to be before that starts leaking - but unfortunately I reckon it's going to be sooner rather than later. Big V-twins produce quite a lot of crankcase pressure and that base gasket is coming apart.
8 year old bike and it's been that way for at least the last two years that I've owned it. I think it will be fine. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
IV, this had me a bit intrigued so I did a bit of googling and found a post from another forum detailing exactly the same thing. I just went out to the garage and had a good look at XCT and the gasket's identical to yours - I'd just never noticed it. Took me a while to see it but there it was! The zoom on your pic made it look like it poked out quite a way.

I bought my bike new so I know it's never been apart. Obviously something that's done as part of the manufacturing process, so no cause for concern.

I've learned something so that's a bonus!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IV, this had me a bit intrigued so I did a bit of googling and found a post from another forum detailing exactly the same thing. I just went out to the garage and had a good look at XCT and the gasket's identical to yours - I'd just never noticed it. Took me a while to see it but there it was! The zoom on your pic made it look like it poked out quite a way.

I bought my bike new so I know it's never been apart. Obviously something that's done as part of the manufacturing process, so no cause for concern.

I've learned something so that's a bonus!
Cool so I've nothing to be worried about then.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Bottom of rear this thing sticking out.

View attachment 251744
Mine's the same. It looks like the profile of the base gasket is not cut to the same shape as the actual cylinder base. It shouldn't be a problem, no leaks from mine at 117,000 kms.

·
13,254 Posts
DO NOT TOUCH IT OR CUT IT

just leave it alone

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you know best! You have always told us that
Not sure where that is coming from. 🤷‍♂️ :unsure:
I don't plan to do anything with that tab sticking out.

Reactions: depot picker
1 - 16 of 16 Posts