Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, what is up with that. Do any of you guys do this? I live on a very popular motorcycle route here in NE TN and my house is near a busy intersection for riders when it gets warm. Every one or multiple motorcycles come to the intersection they all start revving their engines like you would an old carb bike that is out of tune and trying to keep it from dying. Of course 99% of these are HD's. I've had modified pipes on every truck and motorcycle I have owned and have never had the desire to rev up my truck/bike at every stop.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
As the title says, what is up with that. Do any of you guys do this? I live on a very popular motorcycle route here in NE TN and my house is near a busy intersection for riders when it gets warm. Every one or multiple motorcycles come to the intersection they all start revving their engines like you would an old carb bike that is out of tune and trying to keep it from dying. Of course 99% of these are HD's. I've had modified pipes on every truck and motorcycle I have owned and have never had the desire to rev up my truck/bike at every stop.
I know what you're saying. The thing that really gets me is when someone revs their bike while backing up into a parking spot. I don't understand the point and the world will never know why that obnoxious behavior happens.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I don't do this, its just excess noise even I don't want to hear....With the cams and age of the mufflers the bike is getting louder so I like the "down time" when I can idle it.

Reactions: visionjohnny

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Hey, they are just being cool! LOL

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I find my self doing it ocasionaly. BUt I have an excuse. My last bike was carb's and you had to "clear them out"
LOL

Reactions: RoteBaron and NAB

·
Registered
483 Posts
It's the only way some HDs will stay running.

I've had two HDs and thank God mine ran fine so I never had to do it.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I understand a young kid doing it because I was a young kid at one time. As I mentioned before I have only owned v8 trucks that I promptly changed the exhaust and did do the rev thing when I was 16 or so but I grew up. I see middle to upper middle age guys on brand new harleys (as well as metric and some Vics) do this all the time. I got to a few bike nights each summer and 90% will rev their bike as they are backing them up to the curb to park them and most of these are modern and newer bikes. Hell, I don't even have to rev up my 73 2 stroke Kawi when I come to a stop with it to keep it running and it has the original 45 year old carb! Sorry for the rant but I was stuck doing work around the house on Saturday when it was perfect riding weather here and I had to listen to a couple of hundred bikes do the rev thing at the stop sign all day long.

Reactions: BP6666VR

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
It's not just HD riders that blip the throttle I see Vic guys in my rider group do it also.

It's doesn't work on my VStrom, who wants to hear a sewing machine rev up??

Reactions: NAB

·
Registered
569 Posts
It's called Small D Syndrome or Little D Syndrome kinda like wearing an Affliction t-shirt.

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
I love when guys twist the hell out of the throttle right after they start up a cold engine. I silently laugh to myself because not only are they being cool, they're also conveniently scoring their cylinders.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I dont get it but he does it "just because he can"....

That’s the American way!

To me, it’s always a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, “Hey, can you give me a hand?,” you can say, “Sorry, got these sacks.”

Reactions: olddad64

·
13,263 Posts
The reason was back in the day to keep the carb from loading up. Yup bad tune.
Guys that have there radio blaring away is just as bad. The ones that have to have there radio on when everyone is visiting are just as bad

Reactions: TNXR and doobliss

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
Next time you see a HD rider do this ask him if he is having idling problems. Just make sure you are larger than he is.
Why? The bigger they are, the harder they fall! Bwa ha ha ha ha

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts
It helps to find neutral or the occasional stuck shifter that doesn't want to move because of stop and go hot traffic. Its not all look at me stuff. Poorly adjusted shift linkage etc.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts