Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to purchase an X-1, dealer only wants to give me 7700 for my AG 2013 XC with 2200 miles. I could see if it was a new older model I could take it better. But when I am going top of the line they could help me out better than this.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Trying to purchase an X-1, dealer only wants to give me 7700 for my AG 2013 XC with 2200 miles. I could see if it was a new older model I could take it better. But when I am going top of the line they could help me out better than this.
When I traded my '12 highball for my xc, the dealer gave me 7500. Im positive your bike is worth more than 7700, especially with the low mileage.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
The dealer is in it to make money. Has overhead, employees, etc to pay for. Used Vics just don't command a premium. Shame for a bike with low miles like that.
Was it the same dealer you got your AG?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
NADA Guides shows low retail $10,134 and high retail $13,384. Kelly Blue Book shows trade in value $10,425 and suggested retail value $14,150. I personally would shoot for the KBB value which is still low but depreciation happens.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I bought it from a private seller, only had it a few months and now I am hooked on the Vic bikes they are all thats advertised. :grin

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
Just recently a white and gray XC was put up for sale in Tuscon for just $10k. It sold in just a few days.

Two things are going against anyone wanting to sell a bike right now. The season (weather) and economy. Contrary to what obie says; the economy is on the brink of either collapsing or turning around. It has been this way for 7+ years now.

A dealer knows he will potentially have to sit of anything he takes in for an undermined amount of time. His job is not only to make money but to sell new bikes. If he doesn't sell a certain amount of bikes, and many times the market is beyond his control, he will have to take a loss. That isn't a good business model for anyone.

Apparently Victory/Polaris puts some really difficult demands on their dealers which during good times is no big deal but during lean times is a huge deal. Things like keeping a certain number of this model or that model on the floor. They may not even get an option of what color paint jobs they get. I'm sure they can request certain colors but that doesn't mean they will get one of the better selling colors. I know that sounds shallow but it is the way it works.

In another thread someone was saying something about half the Vic dealers giving up on selling Vic's and doing business with more robust selling brands. Business people are not married to any particular brand. They are simply in the business to maximize their profits. It's why most of your sales people are clueless about the bikes they sell. They are sales people and not bikers like one would hope for.

One last thought. The more radical the paint job; the fewer amount of people will be interested in buying it.

Every see a truly amazing and radical paint job on a bike that you appreciated but would never own for yourself? It's kinda like that. The AG paint is a niche paint job. One either loves it or wouldn't have anything to do with it. I personally like it but would not buy one with that paint job at my age. I prefer a more subdued style I guess. Safety wise; the AG is a great paint job! I mean how the heck can anyone not see it!?!

Bottom line; sell it yourself and get the best return. Be prepared to wait until the market is more favorable to you. Be patient. The difference could be up to $5k in what you get for your beautiful AG XC.

You could also consider selling it online and working with someone across the country and ship it. It's done all the time these days. Heck; importer/exporters might even be interested. Don't limit yourself to one market. Think outside the box and good luck with your sale so you can get your X-1!

Sometimes we get lucky and that one person who is looking for just what you have for sale pops up. Not as rare as some people might think but isn't as common as we would like when we are the person selling. It does happen though.

Good luck and please do let us know how it all works out for you. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just recently a white and gray XC was put up for sale in Tuscon for just $10k. It sold in just a few days.

Two things are going against anyone wanting to sell a bike right now. The season (weather) and economy. Contrary to what obie says; the economy is on the brink of either collapsing or turning around. It has been this way for 7+ years now.

A dealer knows he will potentially have to sit of anything he takes in for an undermined amount of time. His job is not only to make money but to sell new bikes. If he doesn't sell a certain amount of bikes, and many times the market is beyond his control, he will have to take a loss. That isn't a good business model for anyone.

Apparently Victory/Polaris puts some really difficult demands on their dealers which during good times is no big deal but during lean times is a huge deal. Things like keeping a certain number of this model or that model on the floor. They may not even get an option of what color paint jobs they get. I'm sure they can request certain colors but that doesn't mean they will get one of the better selling colors. I know that sounds shallow but it is the way it works.

In another thread someone was saying something about half the Vic dealers giving up on selling Vic's and doing business with more robust selling brands. Business people are not married to any particular brand. They are simply in the business to maximize their profits. It's why most of your sales people are clueless about the bikes they sell. They are sales people and not bikers like one would hope for.

One last thought. The more radical the paint job; the fewer amount of people will be interested in buying it.

Every see a truly amazing and radical paint job on a bike that you appreciated but would never own for yourself? It's kinda like that. The AG paint is a niche paint job. One either loves it or wouldn't have anything to do with it. I personally like it but would not buy one with that paint job at my age. I prefer a more subdued style I guess. Safety wise; the AG is a great paint job! I mean how the heck can anyone not see it!?!

Bottom line; sell it yourself and get the best return. Be prepared to wait until the market is more favorable to you. Be patient. The difference could be up to $5k in what you get for your beautiful AG XC.

You could also consider selling it online and working with someone across the country and ship it. It's done all the time these days. Heck; importer/exporters might even be interested. Don't limit yourself to one market. Think outside the box and good luck with your sale so you can get your X-1!

Sometimes we get lucky and that one person who is looking for just what you have for sale pops up. Not as rare as some people might think but isn't as common as we would like when we are the person selling. It does happen though.

Good luck and please do let us know how it all works out for you. :)
Thanks Bob good info

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Only 2200 miles and you want to get rid of it?!? You must hate that bike. Man, when I shell out big bucks for a vehicle, its going to stay with me for a long, long time, so I choose well.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I really dig the Antifreeze Green bikes. Back when Vic came out with them I had a pic of one as my desk top. I'm not a huge flame guy, but they look cool. I think the fellow is rite that said some paint scheme are a bit more uhm niche maybe. I had a Vision I was interested in, but it had some kind of rain drop paint scheme and I just couldn't get past that.
I have to agree try to sell it on your own. Maybe Craig's list first and if it dont go try e-bay. With that low of miles really why do you want to change? 2200 miles is only like what one oil change? X! I have to guess, is that a Magnum? Whats the big difference besides the big wheel front tire?

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
At 2200, it has a thousand more miles to go before its broken in. Its still a puppy.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You can probably buy all the accessories and mods that distinguish the X-1 from XC and save yourself a ton especially in the depreciation. Remember that new 20k bike is going to be worth 17k the second you roll it out the door.

In the end probably can even end up with a better audio system overall if you added bag lids yourself.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
If a 13 with 2200 miles only brings in 7700.00 or so I would guess my 12 with 101,000 should be worth right around ohhhh I don't know, $77.00 give or take a buck. kind of gives a guy a warm fuzzy feeling just thinking about it.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Sounds like a typical motorcycle dealership to me, won't give crap for trade in and won't come off MSRP very easily. I don't know what the economy is going to do but I got lucky and got my dust covered 2011 XR in 2012 for over 25% of the sticker because bikes were not selling very well. The dealer wanted to give me $2k for my 2006 Suzuki M50 so I took it home and waited till April and put it on CL and 5 days later I got much more than the $2k the dealer was willing to give.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
You can probably buy all the accessories and mods that distinguish the X-1 from XC and save yourself a ton especially in the depreciation. Remember that new 20k bike is going to be worth 17k the second you roll it out the door.

In the end probably can even end up with a better audio system overall if you added bag lids yourself.
Reading through this thread...these were my thoughts exactly

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Sounds low ball to me. I just bought me new to me XCT 2013 with 20k miles and i paid a little above 11k including my trade. I thought was good deal. So you should be above the 7700 on the trade price in my thinking. He is going to ask pro a ly 12 or 14 when he goes to sell it. Look around for ne2 older X1 at dealers. Sometimes they have floor plan bikes left over and need to sell.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
My XC would rot in my yard uncovered before I gave it away for 7,700 for any reason .

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
I traded my CR on my XC a few months back. I looked at Indian, Harley, And Victory. Every where I went they offered me $5500 for my '11 CR. It had 54,000 miles on it. So I removed all the add ons and traded it. I bought the 14 Ness XC with 1500 miles ,it was a demo bike for $14,450.
If I were in your shoes, I would post that bike on Craigslist for like $10,000. You should be able to sell it fairly quickly without having to concede too much on that price.
BTW, my CR is still at the dealer at a price of $8500. The funny thing about dealers vs private sellers here in Arizona is that at the Dealer, you pay a lot more for the bike, and then pay taxes and fees. A private sale has no sales tax, and of course no fees. But the price is quite a bit lower.
I tried to be pissed about the Dealer pricing and extra fees, but I have to acknowledge they are in the business to make money, and if they don't, I will have no place to get parts or bikes. But I really hate buying brand new, because I know the value will drop about 30% or so just riding that first mile off that lot.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
so how much different can yours be from this.

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts

Excellent idea and in the process you have made it yours and unique. I would think a rear lowering link, 21" or 23" front wheel and fender, a rake kit, and the sound system with bag lids for the rear would be less than $5k. Maybe much less if you found the parts in good, like new, but used condition for half to two thirds the price. I see them for sale on various forums from time to time.

Could probably do it for well under $4k if you took your time and waited for the better deals to come around.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts