Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 90% of my last tank was highway riding. At about 180 miles, the low fuel light came on. I filled up at 200 miles, and I got 5.2 gallons in. So that would leave about a half gallon to spare, or about 20 miles. So effectively I could have got about 220 in that tank.

I have to laugh how the idiot range meter says I have 300 miles to empty when I fill up.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I track every fill up but more interested in mpgs than the most gallons I have put in a tank. So far the best has been 48 mpg but still average 43 mpg's.

·
Registered
881 Posts
The most I have done was 210 on a tank best milage 44 mpg
Average bout 37 mpg

·
Registered
120 Posts
About 90% of my last tank was highway riding. At about 180 miles, the low fuel light came on. I filled up at 200 miles, and I got 5.2 gallons in. So that would leave about a half gallon to spare, or about 20 miles. So effectively I could have got about 220 in that tank.

I have to laugh how the idiot range meter says I have 300 miles to empty when I fill up.
At least yours is showing 300. Mine shows 236 every time I fill up and stays there until it drops from full to half in a single swoop.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
702 Posts
I got 224 on my XCT before my low fuel light came on at 4.6 gallons to fill up. If I'm not hot dogging it I always get 200...

I was coasting down a long pass in 6th gear on my way home from Colorado and my instant MPG was showing 99 MPG's and I thought, "Wow! aren't these Vics something!"

·
13,033 Posts
Maybe Vic does this on purpose so you don't burn up your fuel tank.

·
Registered
289 Posts
i reckon 220...225...but at 200 and if i screwed up and there is no gas around (as i did once in new mexico) i back her waaaaay down and hope for the best....
(the screw up is kind of a long story....)

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
235 and was on fumes

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I'd say my best is 180 with maybe a 1/4 - 1/2 gal left but I have ran completely out of fuel exactly 3 miles from the gas station once, 166 miles on that tank. The instance with 166 miles and I completely ran out was spending about half the tank going 85 on the interstate and the rest was hot doggin it through the back roads. So now my new "don't go past" number is 160 :D

·
Registered
827 Posts
I stretched my ride to the next town (Lakeview, Oregon) and got 246 miles on a tank. I put 5.4 gallons into the tank (up to the neck on the side-stand). The fuel light came on around 200 and I set the trip-meter # 2 to 0. I usually figure I can get at least 50 miles after the light comes on. I was cruising at 73 mph on hwy 139 and 395 in 102* heat. I have noticed on the instance fuel mileage that after 74 or 75 mph the mileage goes down to 37 from 42. My normal range number after filling up is 260.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I know my situation will sound unusual, but you did ask for the most miles on a tank. If my wife (on her bike) and I are just leisurely cruising backroads all day at 50-60 mph, my XR will get an actual 51 mpg. (that keeps it in my AutoTune cruise cells of 14.1 AFR) At those slow speeds my reserve light comes on at about 205 miles and I can go till 270 miles with about a half a gallon safety net left. That's even with the hills in Tennessee. Of course, a more average tank is 45-47 mpg with the light on at about 180 miles.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
What is full?
At fillup, level ground, front end kicked left, fill from left, nozzle down and through the filler neck, clicked on. When it reaches click off it's just about at the filler neck.

At that point I can put in another 1.3 gallons give or take but it's a game of patience and depends on whether the gas pump can feather fuel delivery. A gallon and a quarter is a bunch of gas.

Due to that variation I can't dial in the exact amount of refill after a run. I can say that my longest distance between fills has been 200 on the nose and that my cumulative mpg is 36.4. I'm a big fella and my right wrist is especially heavy.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Got lost in southeast Idaho last summer and ended up running 240 miles on my tank before fillup. Pumped in 5.3 gallons. A little close for my taste.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Orbiker has me beat by a bit...I don't recall the exact figure, but it was in the high 240s and the amount of gas it took produced an even 50 mpg. That was on a backroads romp and before I began messing around with drilling pipes and installing adjustable timing wheels. Not being anal about mileage, I don't know what she's dong these days. I'll have to do a check on my next highway tank and report back to ya.

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
Maybe Vic does this on purpose so you don't burn up your fuel tank.
You got it VJ. The light comes on with about a gallon left in the tank so we can look for a station quickly. It doesn't hurt it to occasionally run it down to, say a quarter gallon, but the fuel is what keeps the fuel pump cool so it isn't a good idea to do it routinely.

As I have mentioned a few times; drilling a hole in the right side of the filler neck to give it an air hole will help filling the tank all the way up. I only do this when on a long ride and especially if I know I will be going at least 20 miles before stopping again because the gas will expand and run out the the overflow all over the ground under the bike. Good way to burn up a perfectly good bike if someone is careless with a match or cig.

A good way to drill that hole is to have a full tank so there are less fumes which is what ignites and using some thick grease on the drill bit will help capture any metal shavings. The filter in the tank will catch any that get by. The grease will also help keep the possibility of a spark down.

·
Registered
141 Posts

I have gone 201 miles on one tank and it only took 4.05 gal. so that was 49 mpg low fuel light came on about 7 miles before stopping for gas. This weekend we went 396 miles. I filled up when ever anyone else filled cause I did not know how far to next station was. First fill was 2.3 gal 50.4 mpg, next was 3.6 gal 49.8 mpg, next was 3.2 gal. 49.2 mpg. I did not get gas again and trip meter showed 159 miles when I got home and gas gauge was on last mark before low fuel mark. This is the only one that I'm using the mileage read out. It showed that I was getting 45.5 mpg we were riding faster on this run (Bod was leading), I have not filled bike up yet. The best my Goldwing got was 40 mpg before I triked it on Dec 2011. Sense triking it the best I got and only once was 38 mpg and as little as 28 mpg. If group leader holds speed down I can get over 30. But when Bob leads I never get above 30. LOL cheers Root Beer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So on the other end of it, I just finished a tank which was mostly in town in stop and go traffic (mostly stop). 4.2 gallons for 145 miles. 34.5 mpg. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have done 396 kilometres or 246 miles in one tank.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
So on the other end of it, I just finished a tank which was mostly in town in stop and go traffic (mostly stop). 4.2 gallons for 145 miles. 34.5 mpg. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I don't do any better than that ripping around town on my XR.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts