Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking very seriously at used Victory bikes right now, but my wife suggested I should at least check out what kind of deals might be available on new ones, since the bike market has been so depressed compared to the past, and a new bike comes with zero miles and a warranty.

On a new bike, I'd have to lower my expectations from a used Jackpot or Jackpot Ness to a new Vegas 8-Ball or another 8-Ball model close in price to a Vegas 8-Ball.

So, to any of you who have recently bought or priced one of these, what kind of deals are available right now?

Jim G

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am looking very seriously at used Victory bikes right now, but my wife suggested I should at least check out what kind of deals might be available on new ones, since the bike market has been so depressed compared to the past, and a new bike comes with zero miles and a warranty.

On a new bike, I'd have to lower my expectations from a used Jackpot or Jackpot Ness to a new Vegas 8-Ball or another 8-Ball model close in price to a Vegas 8-Ball.

So, to any of you who have recently bought or priced one of these, what kind of deals are available right now?

Jim G
Right now.....not that great.

In October when I bought mine they were offering $2k rebate and 5 year extended warranty on all 2013 models. Then they gave another $1k for law enforcement discount. $3k and warranty off a new bike - yeah - good deal.

November it dropped to $1k rebate, no warranty and no law enforcement discount.

If your not in a hurry watch the monthly rebates.....they change every month and sometimes significantly.

Do a Craigslist search my driving distance (I use SearchTempest) - when I was looking I found all kinds of great deals by dealers if I was willing to drive a couple hours.....and I was. However I had a trade and it would have been time consuming and complicated to work the logistics of that out.....I got a fair deal from my local dealer and went that route.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, too high compared to what I am seeing in multiple geographic locations.

The going asking prices for '07 or '08 Ness versions appears to be $10,000, and of course the negotiability varies by seller's character and circumstances. For some reason, most seem to have approx 10,000 miles on them - the vast majority.

The going asking prices for '07 or '08 Jackpots has more variability but seems to run $7000 to $8300. Here, the miles on them seem to be either way lower - typically 5000 to 6000, or way higher at 20,000+.

I'm seeing on eBay closed auctions that very few actually sell, and am seeing that in the ones that I am visiting locally. Most have been on th market for months, not just weeks.

I encountered that too on selling my own 2002 Honda VTX 1800R. It took from October to mid February, but I lowered the price a LOT at end of January, and then the first buyer who showed up bought it after just 20 minutes.

The more costly a used bike is, the harder it is for a private seller to sell it, since most buyers don't have more than $1500 to $2500 in cash, and a buyer who needs financing for the balance must himself arrange that financing without the aid of an experienced finance manager at a dealership. Also, many used bikes still have liens on them. If the lien is with an out-of-town bank, the necessary 3-way meeting with bank, seller, and buyer, to pass the cash and transfer the title is almost impossible to do. Finally, banks become much less willing to do a bike loan as the age of the bike increases, and loans on 6, 7, or 8 year old bikes are pretty much impossible unless the buyer has a strong relationship with a local bank and great credit.

This is why many sellers just end up trading their bike in on a new one, as the dealer enables them to convert their old bike into cash instantly via the trade, although they take a big hit on the selling price - the trade-in price offered is very much lower than what a "retail" sale to an actual buyer would produce. But, this way even a seller who is "upside down" (owes more than the bike is worth), can get a deal made, even if it results in a larger than normal payment on the new bike since the deficiency in value of the old bike versus amount owed on the bike needs to be rolled into the loan. A substantial down payment is sometimes required in addition to the trade-in for that reason.

Jim G

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought a 2014 Cross Country 8 Ball. I ended up getting it for $500 under msrp. The dealer wouldnt budge much from there. I did get the $1000 rebate for being a fireman.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I scored my 2010 Jackpot premium as a leftover with 0 miles for $12,200 with a 5 year warrenty and 1.99% financing. there out there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts