Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering, what's the best type of grease to use on my cable ends? What about inside the cable housing?

·
Registered
111 Posts
cable lube

I'm wondering, what's the best type of grease to use on my cable ends? What about inside the cable housing?
jimmy: i use a good quality moly lube (sparingly) on the cable ends. most any good quality lube that you can spray down the cable housings will work well. be sure to take your time and spray alittle at a time until you see lube at the lower end of the cable housings. some folks like to use a fixture called a cable oiler/lube sleeve. i never had much luck with them. also be careful of dry graphite and a product called dry slide (graphite in a solvent solution that evaporates) these can build up in the cable housings and actually bind the cable operation.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have some "Cable Life" lube that I used to spray inside the housing on my old bike. It's sort of a clear thin liquid, some sort of silicone or something I think. Would this be good for the inside of the housing? I think I'll pick up some Moly for the ends. Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
774 Posts
From the Vic maintaince service manual.
CABLE INSPECTION/Lubrication.
NOTE: Control cable casings are lined with a low friction sleeve and are factory lubricated for reliable operation. Periodic lubrication of cables is not required and could be detrimental to cable performance. Only cable ENDS must be periodically inspected and lubricated in accordance with the Periodic Maintenance Schedule.thumb upcheers

·
Registered
851 Posts
I use white lithium grease on the ends only. Like busajack pointed out, you do more harm than good lubing the newer cables.

·
Registered
111 Posts
lubing cables

From the Vic maintaince service manual.
CABLE INSPECTION/Lubrication.
NOTE: Control cable casings are lined with a low friction sleeve and are factory lubricated for reliable operation. Periodic lubrication of cables is not required and could be detrimental to cable performance. Only cable ENDS must be periodically inspected and lubricated in accordance with the Periodic Maintenance Schedule.thumb upcheers
yeah i have to say i don't know what the factory recommends on late model stuff but i ride a 10yr old v92 in any weather and you can believe the cables need periodic maintenance/lube. white lithium grease works well most of the time although i think it has a tendency to clump moreso than good moly bearing lube.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2013 crossroads classic and I do periodically lubricate the cable itself, about every 10,000 miles. Over the years I have used a lot of spray lubes from bel ray to cable life. The one I just used is fantastic it is from moose racing and did it work great. I unhooked the cable from the hand lever and also the clutch arm so that it was free. I cut a small piece out of the corner of a small ziplock plastic bag slipped it over the cable to make a sort of small funnel and made it liquid tight with a rubber band. I sprayed the moose racing lube in the bag then moved the inner part of the cable back and forth or up and down to move the lube through the cable until it came out the bottom end of the cable. Make sure to place a towel under the cable to catch the excess. I then hooked it a back up and I can say that the clutch actually pulls easier. Oh, one other thing is that I use Velcro strips to secure my cables instead of zip ties as to not bind the cables sheath to the cable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts