Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I see in one of the forum sections up above where 91 octane is the factory recommended fuel, but I'm wondering if that applies equally to all four engines Victory has made. Especially, does it apply to the V92 "Freedom" motor, which is what my '03 TC has.

(Thought there would be a thread on this already, but a search turned up nothing with "octane" in it.)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
So, I see in one of the forum sections up above where 91 octane is the factory recommended fuel, but I'm wondering if that applies equally to all four engines Victory has made. Especially, does it apply to the V92 "Freedom" motor, which is what my '03 TC has.

(Thought there would be a thread on this already, but a search turned up nothing with "octane" in it.)
Yes, run the 91 and don't forget to give the ole girl her 2-3 minute warm up before riding too. Won't say i almost dumpped it turning out of the court one day I was in a hurry and just did a start and go. Experienced a slight stall on the turn with a hard lean.. :(

Running 91 I am getting average of 32 daily or around 37-39 at 75mph running the highway.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Tim. Been running 89 since I got the bike last week and it seems to do ok, or at least no pinging, but I will start using 91 just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yea I never ventured down to the 89 and have used 91 since I got it. For the differnce in change for 4 gallons, I am ok with it. Could be in my head but I figure what the heck, it calls for it, I am doing it.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts

Don't know about the V92, but I can tell you the 106 runs fine on regular...until you nail the throttle anyway.

I had to use it once because I was low on gas and regular was all that was available. I rode home several hundred miles briskly with no issue, so I thought it was just over-spec'd. I figured it might be a problem on a really hot day. So I would occasionally use regular. Anyway, I took my wife for a long ride through the country after filling it up with regular one day and while running it up near red line passing a car on a two lane the engine began to knock (more like ring) loudly in protest.

I now use high test exclusively.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
The 92" recommended was 89, and they run quite happily on 87. All using premium does is build up carbon, and create issue down the road. It's not about money. It's about keeping a great running engine...running great.

For all you old guys that think premium means better. Think about the last time you saw an ad extolling the benefits of it. The FTC made the fuel companies remove all the false and misleading ads in the early 90's, but the residual memory still surfaces. If you do not NEED it. Then it is BAD for your engine

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Kevin. In that case I guess I will stick with 89. The bike runs like a raped ape on it so far and I'm a fan of not fixing what isn't broke.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The 92" recommended was 89, and they run quite happily on 87. All using premium does is build up carbon, and create issue down the road. It's not about money. It's about keeping a great running engine...running great.

For all you old guys that think premium means better. Think about the last time you saw an ad extolling the benefits of it. The FTC made the fuel companies remove all the false and misleading ads in the early 90's, but the residual memory still surfaces. If you do not NEED it. Then it is BAD for your engine
Im all for 89 or 87! Thanks Kevin for that bit of info!! thumb up I am not one stuck in the past and want whats optimum for the bike! Is this what I get for downloading and actually reading the owners manual... LMAO!!!

SPECIFICATIONS
Fuel Specifications
Use only unleaded gasoline, 92 pump octane minimum.
DO NOT USE GASOLINE CONTAINING METHANOL.
Using gasoline/methanol blends can result in poor starting and driveability, and may damage critical fuel system
components.
Gasoline containing up to 15% Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether (MTBE) can be used.
Gasoline containing up to 10% Ethanol can be used.
Gasoline that has been Reformulated or Oxygenated can be used.
Heading to the pump a happy man! hehehehe

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Tim, is that specifications quote from a V92 owner's manual? If so, we would seem to have a contradiction vs. what Kevin is saying.

Also, I saw mention in another thread about a link to the V92 owner's manual, but I haven't been able to find it yet. If someone can post that link, I'd sure appreciate it. I've got one on order at the dealer for my bike, but I don't know how long it'll take to come in.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
It is however, I will take KevinX input concerning these engines any day over the manual. (don't get a big head Kevin... lol) I work in avaiation and deal with engineer's findings all the time, many of which if they would listen to us these planes would be performing better and with less headache on our part.. lol.. I will be using 89 from here on out!

heres the link do download your manual from Ma Vic web. Just gotta register and start getting the propaganda.

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/victory-motorcycles/pages/parts-manuals.aspx?WT.ac=VIC-Top_Nav_Owners_Manuals

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Tim. I'll save that link in case the manual takes awhile to show up at the dealer.

Speaking of the dealer, had my bike in there today for a checkup and it got a clean bill of health apart from needing new tires and new rear brake pads. Brakes are done and tires are on order for next week, then I can start thinking about doing a long-distance ride to get us both broke in and used to each other. Thinking Eastern Washington... :D

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Great to hear! I am fast approaching new tire time for the rear as well... Seems like yesterday. lol... Enjoy the ride, got to be some great lookin country out that way. I gotta go 3-4 hours and I am up in the mountains or some nice twisties in MD. Was going to DC this weekend but my boy is coming down instead so while I was glad he is coming, I was bummed I am missing a ride.. lol...
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi, I have an 08 Vision and use to run 91, I now run a lower octane. I would get black soot on the pipes, I took it to the dealer and everything checks out OK. People did not want to ride behind me because of the fumes and unburnt gas coming out. I was reading on this forum that had information on high octane and black soot on the pipes. I beleive Kevin said it, 91 burns slower and can send unburned fuel out the exhaust. I changed to a lower octane fuel to try it out, and got an increse in milage (3 to 5 depending on the thottle) and my pipes are now a gray color.
So if it does not knock you can use it.
I have level 1 pipes, LLoydz secondary air intake and IAV.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Buster. Sounds maybe like 91 is only good for keeping the engine a bit cooler-running when the weather is hot, as someone mentioned in another thread.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great to hear! I am fast approaching new tire time for the rear as well... Seems like yesterday. lol... Enjoy the ride, got to be some great lookin country out that way. I gotta go 3-4 hours and I am up in the mountains or some nice twisties in MD. Was going to DC this weekend but my boy is coming down instead so while I was glad he is coming, I was bummed I am missing a ride.. lol...
:rolleyes:
Was talking to a buddy of mine who's got a cabin north of Wenatchee and he was recommending the North Cascades Highway across the mountains. Sounds like a really nice ride and I'm gonna try and squeeze it in before summer's over.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Thanks for the info Buster, I am going to burn a few tanks of 89 and see how it goes then check out some 87 for the heck of it. My pipes are a bit sooty, will be easy to see the 89 clear them up.

For Kevin, the manual posted that clip out of, I downloaded digital from the Vic website that I posted a link for Tuck. As I was saying, I was only providing Tuck the info I had from the book and if 89 will improve the V92's performance, I believe ya. Might be fairly new to the Vic line but been on these forums long enough to know you know these motors. Looking forward to seeing how my TC does on 89 and if I pick up that 3-5, I will really be in hog heaven...

The forums continue to pay off. Thanks all!

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I changed octane I also cleaned out the tips of the mufflers so I was starting with a clean area. It took a few tanks of fuel to start to color the ends. If any noise (spark knock) is heard. Be easy on the throttle and change to a higher octane asap.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 03 manual states 92 octane. In California the highest I can get is 91 and that is what I use.

I know it all depends on the compression ratio of your engine and the flash point of the gasoline. Different octanes have different flashpoints. Hence the knocking that comes from using lower octane with engines tuned for higher octane. I also have a Honda Magna V-4 which redlines at 10k and produces 80 hp from 750cc and the factory recommended octane is 87. And it performs awesome on 87 because the compression ratio is set for it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts