Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I ask this question, I KNOW what the manual says but I would like to know what you all are using. I ask this because yesterday I accidentally put 87 in my XC. But the bike felt pretty much the same and ran ok. I have heard using a lower octane is ok, and may actually help the engine to run cooler. Your comments/experience is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Before I ask this question, I KNOW what the manual says but I would like to know what you all are using. I ask this because yesterday I accidentally put 87 in my XC. But the bike felt pretty much the same and ran ok. I have heard using a lower octane is ok, and may actually help the engine to run cooler. Your comments/experience is appreciated.

If the bike doesn't knock it's fine.
Is your bike stock?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
It is actually better to run as low of an octane that is possible without any detonation/knocking. A higher octane than needed can promote carbon buildup in the cylinder and eventually could cause detonation and overheating.

·
13,003 Posts
I use 89 octane all the time. In morticians I use 91 octane.
Kevinx say Vic say use 91 cause there are some that would use 87 in the morticians or in the desert. He even says you can use ethanol if your going to use it up the hole tank in one days time.

download puregas app to find good gasoline station

·
Premium Member
8,790 Posts
I use high octane Unleaded exclusively (non ethanol)
Done 60,000 miles.
About to go inside the engine for a gearbox repair so I'll soon see how much carbon is in there.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My XC has Vic stage one. Been using premium since new but if I can use lower octane I would like to see if it would help with the heat. It is already in the 90s here in Biloxi with high humidity. We'll see how this tank works.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I use 89 octane all the time. In morticians I use 91 octane.
Kevinx say Vic say use 91 cause there are some that would use 87 in the morticians or in the desert. He even says you can use ethanol if your going to use it up the hole tank in one days time.

download puregas app to find good gasoline station
ok gotta ask.. What's a "morticians" that uses hi-test? And if you use 89, I'm sure gonna start. I've used 91 and occasionally 94 since I bought my XC in 2012.

·
Premium Member
8,790 Posts
My guess is its auto correct for mountains

·
Premium Member
8,790 Posts
@Tarzan...then I'll have no worries it'll be clean as a whistle! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts