Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to wear out a repeated subject...

I'm happy to announce that I'm a new owner of a Victory 2011 Cross Country.

I recently had my 500mi oil change and check up (courtesy of the dealer where I purchased my new toy). My question is what oil should I use next time it's due? Now the oil change kit in my area isn't that costly (Around $60-70).

I used to own Harleys prior. And the oil I used was Amsoil 20/50 which worked well. When I asked the Victory dealer about using the synthetic, they recommended not using due to the clutch slippage/possible damage? Funny thing is when I asked the Harley dealer years ago (prior to the Screaming Eagle full synthetic). They recommended against it also. Stating it "was too slippery"?? I went and used the synthetic anyways with no problems for the past 10 or so years. Now it's ok to use it since they sell a full synthetic oil:confused:

I'm just looking for some feedback on the Freedom 106ci motors and the use of synthetic oils. Will I have problems? I'm sure the Polaris Victory oil will work fine and cost is comparable if not less than the synthetics. I'm just looking at all the options I have with my new toy.

Thanks

GURR:)
MN

·
Registered
146 Posts
:crzy:
Step by step video guide right here:

cheers

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Full Synthetic is not recommended as has been recommended in other countless threads here.

These are not HD's. The Victory has a wet clutch, engine and tranny share the same oil.

Semi synthetic.

·
12,984 Posts
witch or what oil

You being an old harley rider you know you shouldn't switch oil till you have 5000 miles on the motor. I have a 08 vision and at 6000 miles went to amsoil 20/50 cause I couldn't find mobil 1 I have over 10,000 on the bike and no problems. All the clutch company's switch there fibers on there plates years ago. The motor is now quiet and it shift great. If I didn't tell you there was amsoil in it you would never know. Matter of fact I just came back from a ride and its 52 out side. I had to wait till the motor was warm before leaving but you know to touch the cylinder to feel if its warm.
So I would wait till you had more miles on before going to a syn oil.
Good Luck and I don't think any one here use the same oil as the next guy.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Full Synthetic is not recommended as has been recommended in other countless threads here.

These are not HD's. The Victory has a wet clutch, engine and tranny share the same oil.

Semi synthetic.
I used full synthetic on my 98 Buell S3T

·
12,984 Posts
witch or what oil

I am sorry to say but most if not all motorcycles are running the same clutches as the next one. Maybe they have more fiber plates or less fiber pates in them but there all the same. Check barnett or alto these guys make 80 to 90 percent of all plates for motorcycles and they all say syn oil is fine.
They do say you can not switch back an forth cause your fibers will fail. For the most part you can change from normal oil to syn but in some cases syn will not work cause of the condition's of your fiber plates.
Yes the other American motorcycle has been using syn since 2000 in there clutch's and motors and have no problem. But then there is the guy that does burn outs and heats his clutch up cause he doesn't know how to ride.
Keep in mind that motorcycle oil has a different shear factor then car oil so don't use car oil unless you need it in a emergency.
So if your scared stay with what you feel best with. I have never of a victory going bad cause of the oil more cause of the owner. Yes all bikes I know of have wet clutches except for open primary belt bikes.

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
To answer your question the official and probably most correct answer is to use the Victory oil change kit. You will be changing oil every 5k miles after the 500 mile change so it isn't that expensive when changing that often.

There is a plan "B" though that many people use.

Rotella semi synthetic T5 (SILVER JUG) oil
($16/gallon @ Wal Mart, $35 for 3 gal. at Sams Club) WalMart SuperTech ST7317 oil filter for $2.88. Made by Champion

I'm not advocating this alternative. Just stating that many people use it with no issues. Rotella is a quality oil though. I wish I could get it in 20-50wt syn or semi-syn for my HD.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I am sorry to say but most if not all motorcycles are running the same clutches as the next one. Maybe they have more fiber plates or less fiber pates in them but there all the same. Check barnett or alto these guys make 80 to 90 percent of all plates for motorcycles and they all say syn oil is fine.
They do say you can not switch back an forth cause your fibers will fail. For the most part you can change from normal oil to syn but in some cases syn will not work cause of the condition's of your fiber plates.
Yes the other American motorcycle has been using syn since 2000 in there clutch's and motors and have no problem. But then there is the guy that does burn outs and heats his clutch up cause he doesn't know how to ride.
Keep in mind that motorcycle oil has a different shear factor then car oil so don't use car oil unless you need it in a emergency.
So if your scared stay with what you feel best with. I have never of a victory going bad cause of the oil more cause of the owner. Yes all bikes I know of have wet clutches except for open primary belt bikes.
They may be running the same clutches but not the same engines. The oil is a vital source of engine cooling. The Victory oil is SPECIFICALLY made for the cooling of our bikes.

I didn't say that the engines DID have problems because of oil. I said I wouldn't be surprised.

I've done a few engines having worked at a dealership and having my own Victory customizing business.

I have seen damage from what appeared to be excessive heat. None of those bikes were running Vic oil.

I know a rider that had a complete upgrade and rebuild of a SC and refused to use the Vic oil and stuck with another brand. The engine had significant scarring and heat damage and had to be rebuilt again. Same damage as previously. While this isn't common and this rider doesn't race etc. It still has been a problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I guess one of us is confused. I thought we were talking about a VICTORY motorcycle not a Buell.
The discussion is about a Victory(2011 CC). Just thought I'd throw in the Buell which I also used Synthetic oil on which shares crankcase/clutch compartment.

Just trying to gather some information on my new ride.

Thanks for the feedback:)

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
The discussion is about a Victory(2011 CC). Just thought I'd throw in the Buell which I also used Synthetic oil on which shares crankcase/clutch compartment.

Just trying to gather some information on my new ride.

Thanks for the feedback:)
Every Sporty I have had; had a seperate primary that ran primary oil. Then again mine were Iron Heads. As far as I know though The Buell like all Sporty moitors share engine, and trans, but still have seperate primary; like all HD products except Vrod

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Every Sporty I have had; had a seperate primary that ran primary oil. Then again mine were Iron Heads. As far as I know though The Buell like all Sporty moitors share engine, and trans, but still have seperate primary; like all HD products except Vrod
This is correct. In which I used Full synthetic throughout on:)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Cross Country oil

I was at my dealers yesterday hanging out back with the tech & this subject came up. We were talking oil temps & he says you don't want to exceed 250 degrees. Here in Phoenix, I ride in rush hour traffic & right now at around 90 degrees air temperature the motor will sometimes be running at 240 so I can see when summer temp's arrive I will easily exceed 250. He suggested going to Amzoil full synthetic. A lot of guys are running it here in AZ with no problems plus the engine temp will drop 15 degrees!:)
My first years service is on the house, after that I plan on going Amzoil.
The manual sates to use Vic oil or equivalent. Since Amzoil is designed for wet clutches & exceeds Vic specs, I don't see a problem.
JOKERMAN

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Couple things here, and I am out. I hate oil threads.

1] As a Vic tech; a few times every year I get customers with slipping clutches. They all have one thing in common....full synth oil. Over half of these people are repaired by switching to a semi synth oil. Don't know why it happens to some, and not others, but it is a very real issue

2] Do not be fooled by a temp dipstick saying you engine runs cooler. All it is showing; is the oils inability to ABSORB heat. The oil is cooler, but the hard parts are HOTTER. Because of this Victory took the temp sensor OUT of the oil passage, and moved it into a dry hole. You want to see facts then hook up two 08+ bikes up to a digital wrench, and observe the TRUE engine temp. The results will frustrate the full synth crowd. That myth is busted

Oh yea I almost forgot this little gem. The Amsoil White sheet is pretty neat, but you need to keep in mind it is advertising, and there are a couple of tests performed that are left out of the final analysis. One being the stiction of the oil. They do not even show the results of several brands. Those results would have moved Amsoil DOWN the ladder.
They also do not do any testing in a bike with the Vics unique combination of one piece sump, oil cooling, and wet clutch.

In short it is your bike and you can run but you want, but do not be foolede into thinking that you are running a better oil with a full synth. There are many out here that have been there, and returned to semi synth to reduce problems. BTW I am not a brand guy. I am simply a full vs semi synth guy. Other then that I don't care

·
Registered
381 Posts
motor oil

Kevin: regarding your post:2] Do not be fooled by a temp dipstick saying you engine runs cooler. All it is showing; is the oils inability to ABSORB heat. The oil is cooler, but the hard parts are HOTTER. Because of this Victory took the temp sensor OUT of the oil passage, and moved it into a dry hole. You want to see facts then hook up two 08+ bikes up to a digital wrench, and observe the TRUE engine temp. The results will frustrate the full synth crowd. That myth is busted

Does Vic have a high temp shutdown somehow linked to the ECM to shut down the bike to protect it?
Also, if the motor gets hot, what is the best way to reduce engine temp?

Thanks for your input!
JOKERMAN

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Kevin: regarding your post:2] Do not be fooled by a temp dipstick saying you engine runs cooler. All it is showing; is the oils inability to ABSORB heat. The oil is cooler, but the hard parts are HOTTER. Because of this Victory took the temp sensor OUT of the oil passage, and moved it into a dry hole. You want to see facts then hook up two 08+ bikes up to a digital wrench, and observe the TRUE engine temp. The results will frustrate the full synth crowd. That myth is busted

Does Vic have a high temp shutdown somehow linked to the ECM to shut down the bike to protect it?
Also, if the motor gets hot, what is the best way to reduce engine temp?

Thanks for your input!
JOKERMAN
Vic does not shut down the motor, but it will cut off the charging system with a thermocouple in the regulator. By doing this the stator quits generating a huge amount of heat in the motor. That said I also live in a very hot area of the country. Here in Fl 100+ temps during the summer are not at all uncommon. I have NEVER seen or had a Vic overheat on me in normal circumstance, and that includes hours of sitting in the Daytona go slow.
I have however had one customer completely BAKE his bike. He had it in a small shed in the dead of summer in the full sun. He started the bike, and walked away to answer the phone. He came back around 30 minutes later, and found the bike barely running. The air in the shed was dead still, and around 200 degrees all by itself. Gotta give that one to stupidity

EDIT; Forgot to mention the best way to cool it down is to get moving above 25mph. The combination of the oil cooler, and the Nikasil cylinder coatings[instead of a steel sleeve] will transfer heat VERY quickly, and efficiently

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Just one comment and I'm out. people spend **** loads of money on their bikes and want to save a few bucks one the most important parts of it, the engine, put what you want to in it. But for me, I'm going to use the Victory oil, every 5 oil changes and I have one oil change almost free.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Wow... the oil debate is enough to give a new guy a seizure. My bike is due to an oil change and after reading multiple threads, I'm taking the safe route... A Victory Oil Kit.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts