Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a hot topic but my search here didn't turn up much. I plan to change my oil this weekend and I have no plans to spend the extra money for the victory kit. Should I use dino, semi sythetic, full synthetic? Also what filter?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, first thing you should consider after buying a $15,000-$20,000 bike is... "how cheap can I go on my vital maintenance?"
Hmmm. I don't remember ever saying anything about going cheap. What I meant was I don't plan to spend 70 bucks on 30 bucks worth of oil. Let's move on.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Amsoil 20-50 period.... Filter is up to you, remember that there are better filters out there than Amsoil, or so "they say" Do a search on google, there is a lot of data on which filter does the best job.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If I used Amsoil, it would be the 10-40. I saw a test where the 10-40 Amsoil was very comparable to the 20-40 Vic oil. 20-50 is a heavier viscosity than recommended by Victory and to me not a good idea. 10-40 oil is actually very close to and some are the same vicosity as 20-40 oil. It only thins down to 10w when it's very cold and that's a good thing.

·
12,983 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
If I used Amsoil, it would be the 10-40. I saw a test where the 10-40 Amsoil was very comparable to the 20-40 Vic oil. 20-50 is a heavier viscosity than recommended by Victory and to me not a good idea. 10-40 oil is actually very close to and some are the same vicosity as 20-40 oil. It only thins down to 10w when it's very cold and that's a good thing.
Agreed. 10-40 is the weight Amsoil recommends for Victory motorcycle for the above reasons.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No, you're wrong, I am an AMSOIL dealer and have been for over 12 years now. Either weight is safe to use
I'm sorry but you are the one that is wrong sir. The amount of time you've been a Amsoil dealer (and telling people wrong information) doesn't change the facts of what Amsoil ACTUALLY states.

Nowhere on the Amsoil site do the recommend 20-50 (as you first stated)
Nowhere on the Amsoil site do they talk about 20-50 be safe to use (as you have now changed your story to).

Below is the information from the Amsoil site. Now you will have to tell Amsoil they are wrong. Good luck with that. Anyone reading this thread and is curious, you are welcome to view the Amsoil site and see the facts for yourself.

-----
SAE 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCF)
AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil is recommended for liquid or air-cooled 4-stroke engines. It meets SAE 80W/90, API GL-1 gear oil requirements and is recommended for transmissions on both 4- and 2-stroke motorcycles. AMSOIL MCF is recommended for Honda®, Kawasaki®, Yamaha®, Suzuki®, BMW®, Husqvarna®, Victory® and other motorcycles where 10W-40 or 20W-40 engine oils or SAE 80W/90, GL-1 gear oils are used. Not recommended where an API GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil is required.

--------
SAE 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCV)
APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Synthetic 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil is recommended for air or liquid cooled 4-stroke engines. It meets SAE 90, API GL-1 gear oil requirements and is recommended for transmissions and primary chaincases. AMSOIL MCV is recommended for Harley Davidson®, Buell®, KTM, Ducati®, Aprilia®, BMW®, Triumph® and other motorcycles where 15W-50 or 20W-50 engine oils or SAE 90, GL-1 gear oils are used. Not recommended where an API GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil is required.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Though marketed as an engine oil for diesel trucks, Rotella oil has found popularity with motorcyclists as well. The lack of "friction modifiers" in Rotella means they do not interfere with wet clutch operations. (This is called a "shared sump" design, which is unlike automobiles which maintain separate oil reservoirs - one for the engine and one for the transmission). Used oil analysis (UOA) reports on BobIsTheOilGuy.com have shown wear metals levels comparable to oils marketed as motorcycle-specific.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Hmmm, just went and used AMSOILs look-up guide;

2009 VICTORY Arlen Ness Victory Vision 1731

Lubricants & Fluids
Engine Oil
SAE 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCFQT)
SAE 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCVQT)
Filters
Oil Filter
EA Oil Filter - Motorcycle [chrome] (EaOM103C)
EA Oil Filter - Motorcycle [black] (EaOM103)
Plugs & Wiresets
No recommendations found
Other Top Quality Products
Quickshot (AQS)
Gasoline Stabilizer (AST)
I've also asked AMSOIL directly, since I have friends that have been riding a Vision for over 2 years, if the 20-50 is OK. The tech guy said it would be just fine. Either weight, 20-40 or 20-50, flow the same at cold temps, as a 20 weight oil. Then, at operating temps, do they flow a little different.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hmmm, just went and used AMSOILs look-up guide;

I've also asked AMSOIL directly, since I have friends that have been riding a Vision for over 2 years, if the 20-50 is OK. The tech guy said it would be just fine. Either weight, 20-40 or 20-50, flow the same at cold temps, as a 20 weight oil. Then, at operating temps, do they flow a little different.
Thank you for digging around and finding that on their website.

I can't see myself ever again buying from a company of that size that cannot keep it's story straight and provides conflicting data like that. But rest assured that having a dealer like yourself and what you've said here today helped to steer me away from Amsoil also.

Now to decide between Victory Oil or Rotella since you've helped me rule out Amsoil as an alternate. I would just buy the Victory oil but the dealer moved farther away from me making it more time consuming to go and buy it. With 4 Victory bikes and both my wife and I riding so many miles, it's a lot of oil change kits to buy.

Thanks,
Barry

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
So, I say that you can use a specific weight oil, and you get mad. I provide links to show you, and you get mad. I say that I've asked the question before, and you get mad. You're the one with the hang-up, not I.

I'm not telling you to use AMSOIL, I was only correcting your misinformation. Go ahead and use Victory oil, but I would use the Shell stuff before the Victory stuff as Victory doesn't make oil. Vehicle manufacturers put out a bid for any company that will fill their order for an oil that meets their specs. The lowest bidder usually wins that contract bid and then gets Victory labels to slap on the bottle. Then they charge you, the customer, very high prices for that cheap natural oil. You can get a much better synthetic oils for about the same price.

So, buy what you like, and be happy. cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bully and degrade potential customer for stating what they read on the website, very interesting sales tactic, hope that works out for you.

And don't try to make yourself sound all innocent. You were the one that got mad because I typed what I read on the Amsoil website and went on the attack. Because you started the attack based on what I wrote, it appears that you DO have the hang-up. So your deflecting tactic didn't work. Tough. Just stop with the backtracking and lies. I'm sure that's great for your dealership, makes you salesman of the year! thumb up

So, I say that you can use a specific weight oil, and you get mad. I provide links to show you, and you get mad. I say that I've asked the question before, and you get mad. You're the one with the hang-up, not I.

I'm not telling you to use AMSOIL, I was only correcting your misinformation. Go ahead and use Victory oil, but I would use the Shell stuff before the Victory stuff as Victory doesn't make oil. Vehicle manufacturers put out a bid for any company that will fill their order for an oil that meets their specs. The lowest bidder usually wins that contract bid and then gets Victory labels to slap on the bottle. Then they charge you, the customer, very high prices for that cheap natural oil. You can get a much better synthetic oils for about the same price.

So, buy what you like, and be happy. cheers

1 - 20 of 36 Posts