Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I’ve set up a test ride this weekend, with nearby dealership, for the Victory Vegas. Interestingly enough, they have a used Honda VTX1800 in stock (I’ll probably try it out as well). The VTX1800 is the only other cruiser on my mind. I love Honda’s reliability, but I’m a bit hesitant because it’s a discontinued bike.

Curious, what other bikes did you guys consider before choosing the Vegas? What swayed you in your decision?

p.s. currently, I have a m109r. It’s a nice bike. The rear tire looks great, but the steering/cornering kinda suck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well I bought a highball. But I looked into HD streetbob. While its sound was incredible, the fit and finish wasn't as nice. And I really prefer the look of the freedom engine over the hd. Big fan of the tall jugs.

If your looking at the vegas, ride a highball as well. For me it was more comfortable. And I felt the smaller fat front tire made the bike ride better.

Love not having chrome, havnt washed it since I bought it.

Sent from my PH44100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was interested in an HD Fat Bob and was originally intent on a Vegas. After riding the Fat Bob and a number of Victory's at a demo event, I settled on the Cross Roads. Don't regret my decision one bit.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Hello,

I’ve set up a test ride this weekend, with nearby dealership, for the Victory Vegas. Interestingly enough, they have a used Honda VTX1800 in stock (I’ll probably try it out as well). The VTX1800 is the only other cruiser on my mind. I love Honda’s reliability, but I’m a bit hesitant because it’s a discontinued bike.

Curious, what other bikes did you guys consider before choosing the Vegas? What swayed you in your decision?

p.s. currently, I have a m109r. It’s a nice bike. The rear tire looks great, but the steering/cornering kinda suck.
If function is your concern, skip the Vegas and go ride a Kingpin if you can still find one. It was the best of their cruiser line by far and is now discontinued. The Cross Roads has better cornering clearance, but is heavier and doesn't have the hot cams. It is better for traveling or twisties, but the KP still feels a lot more spunky.

The Vegas has a cheap suspension and the pie cutter wheel on the front does not provide neutral handling. It isn't awful, but the KP is much better.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like a couple of you had no idea what type of bike you wanted. Go for a cr/cc if your looking for a bigger bagger. If youre after a bare bone hot rod, stick with your Vegas thought.

I think the best advice is to think about your riding style. Are you going for all day ride and need to carry half your house or are you running to the bar for a drink.

My longest ride I would consider is 3 hours, I can do that with a single sided swing arm bag.

I went with the highball, knowing I wanted a bare bones bike (that by the way I can ride all day on) to get back and forth to work and run to the bar. Started by looking at a Vegas and found the highball more exciting.

If your looking at a Vegas and end up with a vision, I can't follow your thought process.

Good luck, and follow your gut. But know your riding style.

Sent from my PH44100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
If you have the Suzuki M109R why would you even consider trading? That bike is like the Yamaha V-max. So if you are tired of speed get yourself a bagger. If you want good fun and gas mileage get a Vegas. Just not a lot of options to carry stuff. I have a carry tool bag I use for work. Then when the wife rides she can only buy what she can carry. ha ha

·
Registered
34 Posts
I currently own a Hammer, but was considering a Vegas, M109 and HD V-Rod NRS before I bought mine. The M109 is a great scoot, but I wanted to buy American, and the V-Rod's clam seating position and 5-speed drew me away. The Vegas is great also, but something about how the Hammer's 250 rear tire looks really got me. The selling point was when I saw the Conquest Customs Hammers/Jackpots and what could be done to them. Only downfall is when I meet a cute girlie who wants a ride on my scoot. :-(

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had a VTX1300C before the Vegas, the Vegas is soooo much better. It has also been a lot more reliable than the VTX, but I think I had a freak carb problem because my dad rode many Honda's with no problems.

I did consider a HD Soft tail standard, Deuce, fat boy, night train. I rode all those bikes and the Vegas. Now for the price I paid for my brand new left over 07 Vegas in 08, I would have had to get a HD that was in the 04-05 range with 5-10K miles. the Vegas had more power, 6 spd and looks so much sexier. The Honda is a nice bike, but the Vegas handles and rides so much better than all of these other bikes. that's just my 0.02 though. I have not regretted this purchase for one second.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nothing....I saw and researched Victory motorcycles and decided nothing else compared.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
229 Posts
i got to clock alittle over an hour on an 1800c the other day(transport for a buddy, not cause i wanted to) and the only thing i really dont care for on those bikes is the wheight(and how noticable it is top heavy) and the low speed cornering can be a hassle. on the plus side, it didnt seem to care about wind at all, i would catch gust that wanted to blow me off the bike and it tracked straight as an arrow.

but i like my kp alot more and wouldnt even think to trade for one.

my other option before Victory was really only a vtx1300. they are great handling bike, ride good and most are reliable. but fit and finish is what made me go Victory, i dont like chromed plastic.

·
Registered
207 Posts
i got to clock alittle over an hour on an 1800c the other day(transport for a buddy, not cause i wanted to) and the only thing i really dont care for on those bikes is the weight(and how noticable it is top heavy) and the low speed cornering can be a hassle. on the plus side, it didnt seem to care about wind at all, i would catch gust that wanted to blow me off the bike and it tracked straight as an arrow.

but i like my kp alot more and wouldnt even think to trade for one.

my other option before Victory was really only a vtx1300. they are great handling bike, ride good and most are reliable. but fit and finish is what made me go Victory, i dont like chromed plastic.
when i had my 1300, i asked the 1800 guys what they thought and that seemed to be a common theme. they said it was a turd to ride. they thought it was too heavy, straight line it rocked, but cornering and twisties and it wasn't that much fun.

the chromed plastic on the motor bugged me the whole time i owned that bike as well. i mean the 1300 was a nice bike, i just with it would've been fuel injected (which i think the later models were).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts