1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the topic is the question.
What sells a house?
Please choose one from the list below.

1. New Driveway and side walks... leave the house alone and only focus on fresh concrete.
  2. New Roof.
  3. New carpet and fresh paint... I have been told the smell of fresh paint and carpet is like the new car smell and drives people wanting to buy
  4. Landscape.. new grass, and gardens maybe add a pool
  5. New kitchen cabinets and counter tops
  6. New light fixtures and fans
  7. sell it as is and take the money and buy new bike :laugh:laugh
Honestly what is that makes people say "yes I want this"
Let's hear your thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
4,948 Posts
Neighborhood first as I drive through then curb appeal as I pull into the driveway. To me these two have the biggest impact if either are crap nothing else will matter.

New carpet and fresh paint are huge if the house is empty.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I had a Cracker Jack (real good) realtor representing me as a buyer. When I found the house of my dreams and put a deposit on it, he said, now it's time to put yours on the market. I said, there are things I need to do to it before we do that and listed them. I will never forget his reply. He said, As long as the outside is attractive enough to draw them inside, all they are looking at is what they will do to it to make it theirs. It sold in less than a week and in 1995 it wasn't a hot marker. And yes, they made it theirs in no time.

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
Location, location, location are the 3 basic rules of real estate. Then, like mentioned, is curb appeal. After that it's really about what the people are looking for like a 2 car garage, big family room, number of bedrooms, etc. Stuff you can't control so no sense trying.

I did learn a painful lesson after buying my first house that relates to the first rule in real estate. You can bring your house up to the level of the neighborhood but you can't bring the neighborhood up to the level of your house. If the neighborhood is trash; it's trash. No fixing it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
In practice,,,,

1. Location.
2. Curb appeal
3. Whatever the Mrs looks at. Kitchen, bathroom, master bedroom, laundry room.

Bottom of the list.

95. Garage. Husbands responsibility
96. Amount of yard work. Husbands responsibility.
97. Outdoor painting. Husbands responsibility.
98. Renovations. Husbands responsibility.
99. Roof. Husbands responsibility.

Actually, different people look for different things in a house. In any case though, what they all see no matter what they are looking at, is that the place has been looked after. Things don't have to be recent but if it's clean, no marks or damage on walls, yard has looked after, no animal smells in the house, etc. Ready to move in because most people don't have a month for reno's prior to moving in. I may jest but items 1, 2 and 3 really do have a bearing on things in that order unless you're looking for a project house they could show on TV. They are going to change the little stuff anyway so if you've got money put into it, I think the kitchen and bath is about the only place your going to get your money back.

A garage with a built-in keg fridge and taps would certainly help too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If I had to pick one thing thats sells a house its location. My ex is trying to sell hers. Helped her paint it and do a bunch of other stuff to it. Not an offer. Why? Its by a major highway.

I think the bigger question is what stops a house from selling cause if i know a roof has to be done asap, thats easily 10 to 15,000 NOW. Versus "maybe we can redo this kitchen someday". Meaning "it'll wait until we have the damn money".

·
Registered
543 Posts
Neighborhood first as I drive through then curb appeal as I pull into the driveway. To me these two have the biggest impact if either are crap nothing else will matter.

New carpet and fresh paint are huge if the house is empty.

These tend to be the top three and in the general order of importance. As for getting top buck, kitchen and bath makeovers historically have returned the most for the investment made.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Location, Location, Location and demand. Realtors don't matter. The internet and price sell homes. Here the Seattle area I have seen the WORST **** houses sell for unbelievable prices. I witnessed with my Realtor recently a bank owned home close to the water with a huge load of FECES smeared on the kitchen floor as well as huge mold issues in the walls and ceiling. Talk about stink. Had no idea what we were walking into. We have walked into homes that require a hold harmless to be signed prior to entering. The realtor and owner did nothing about the **** on the floor prior to listing it. Demand drives sales. Period. Yup it sold As do the homes where the people leave dirty dishes in the sink, clothing and broken furniture. Even it it looks like an abandoned drug house. Yup, they sell. Realtors call this "Opportunity" sales. Shaking my head... Be a realtor here and get rich working part time. The panic won't end well, just like last time.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Same with Vancouver. There was some article that showed up in news all over Canada anyways that featured a little shitbox house sold for 1 million

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Looked today

Wife & I went and looked at one today. We are tired of the HOA rules and BS, so we have sort of been looking. Seen one today a realtor sent us pictures of and info. The price(everything is high now) looked ok, and it would make are house payments go down! The pictures looked very promising of the insides, the outside need a little TLC. Got there to the place after driving down a very ruff road,seat belts kept us in the seats. The properties around it, tuned us off, the other places looked as ruff and as $hitty as the road. Lost interest real quick. To bad insides were very nice. Still staying in our house for now. Wife has got the moving itch. So we will see.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Let me twist this up a bit
What if you live in the country
Than what do people look for
Still location is top of the list. But then some things might change moving down that list like good well for water or a good septic system. Kitchens and bathrooms are always top no matter where you are.

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
So updated kitchen and bathrooms
Wins over fresh paint and carpet?
I would disagree with that and here's why. A buyer can move into a house they will want to remodel the kitchen and/or bathroom at a later time with money saved up instead of having to pay more up front then having a higher mortgage payment. They may find the kitchen is just fine the way it is for many years then change their mind on how they would want it done or they may sell the house by then.

Moving in with a carpet needing to be replaced and a paint job on the walls is much harder to do once all the furniture is in.

Also paint and carpet (say $5-6k) is cheap compared to a $30k kitchen remodel and who's to say the way the remodel is done is the way the new buyer would want it? They might look at and say it needs to be redone.

Use neutral (earth tones) colors for carpet and paint so no one is put off by them. The colors may not be what they might pick but they will be something they can live with.

Your goal as a seller is to maximize your profit; not cater to a new buyer. The buyer can make all the changes they want after they buy it as long as the roof, foundation, structure, and plumbing is in good shape so they have a good foundation to work with.

I've seen entire rows of homes where the slab foundation cracked and the earth underneath re-settled causing the house to be virtually worthless. The only way to really fix all those homes is to tear them down and redo how the earth was prepped underneath. Bad construction contractors can ruin entire tracts of homes. In this case the state bought all the homes/land and made a new road so it worked out okay for the homeowners but it doesn't always work out so well.

·
12,983 Posts
To bad you didn't say where you live.
Clean windows so house looks bright.
No need to paint just clean the walls. A buyer will repaint the color they want.

·
Registered
543 Posts
So updated kitchen and bathrooms
Wins over fresh paint and carpet?
Worn carpet and worn (dull, marked, faded) paint leaves the impression that the whole property is worn. These are two of the most inexpensive (especially since painting is the simplest of do-it-yourself projects) updates you can do to increase the sale price and decrease the listing time. As for updated kitchen and bath, statistically they exhibit the best return on investment when selling a home. This is especially true if you are looking to sell a home in a neighborhood/development where many/most of the homes have updated kitchens and/or baths.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Aside from being clean and tidy and generally well cared for, the smell of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies wafting throughout the house when prospective buyers nose around doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Subliminal psychological effect. Read that in a real estate article several years ago. If it smells good you feel at home. Who doesn't like the smell of fresh baked cookies. Leave a plate full of soft warm cookies on the kitchen counter. Yrmv,

1 - 20 of 30 Posts