Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 05 vegas Cory Ness edition with 1300 acutal miles. Im only getting 32 mpg. Besides changing the oil, air filter and spark plugs is there anything else i can do to get better mpg? Would the lack of miles cause this problem?

·
Registered
851 Posts
It sounds like you're suffering from RWS...Right Wrist Syndrome ;)

My XR gets as low as 32 and as high as 42 MPG depending on how many highway miles I get on the tank. I also tend to wear out the rear wheel a little faster than some as well :eek:

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Without knowing your driving habits and/or the type of roads you frequent (hilly, flat, twisty, straight, high speed, low speed, open roads or constant start/stop) it is impossible to say.

Ideal gas mileage would be obtained if you were able to maintain a constant speed of 55 mph (per gov tests) in a straight line with no altitude changes. Anything higher will affect mpg as well as anything else that deviates from the tests. Testing the limits of your bike will affect mpg the most so after the new bike feel wears off or you have a reason to conserve fuel your mpg will increase.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Reconsider Spending on "new" stuff....

I just bought a 05 vegas Cory Ness edition with 1300 acutal miles. Im only getting 32 mpg. Besides changing the oil, air filter and spark plugs is there anything else i can do to get better mpg? Would the lack of miles cause this problem?
Congrats on a nice find; I just bought a new '08 Hammer S with 0 miles. Rather than spending money on items that are surely not worn out, look into what pipes you have and any other modifications there might be. Stock, off the floor, (no windshield) I was getting 42 mpg, until I had first 500 mile service and started revving higher; then it started to drop as I began exercising it more. Today, at 1000 miles, I had Stage 1 installed with 2:1 pipes and new fuel programming and know that 40-ish number will be gone, perhaps forever.

Also consider that the engine is not yet really broken in and that your tires may need a close inspection for age deterioration. Then check your mileage again, and also consider that it is now running on 10% ethanol blend, which automatically reduces your mileage by up to 10% and wasn't prevalent in 05.

And have fun and welcome and just think: You are probably filling the tank for only the 10th time!

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I ride my bike 70 -80mpg to work and back all week and get about 42-43mpg.I also ride weekend runs through all kinds of terrain,I still get at least 40. If I run it around town and get on it regularly, I get around 35ish. So, even with the mods I have, it still gets pretty good mileage.
If you are only getting 32, maybe it needs a TPS adjustment or maybe the map isn't right? If it had more miles, it could have been dirty throttle bodies. They need to be cleaned every 5-6000 miles or so, at least mine do.
Unless of course, you constantly ride it like you stole it, then maybe that would give those results.

·
Registered
357 Posts
my 04 TC gets 33-44 depending on how I ride.Still better than what my Harley gets 28-32 on a good day

·
Registered
223 Posts
It will get better as the motor breaks in. New owners like to hammer the throttle. If you can roll on and off easy your milage will get a lot better. Tires will also last longer. On avg 43 mpg.

·
Registered
66 Posts
:ltr:My 2011 vegas gets about 35 ish and I dont ride to conserve fuel..... Im happy with that
If I did I would have a honda LOL

·
Registered
85 Posts
My first 2 tanks on my '12 Vegas i got 45. But I'm taking it real easy until the first oil change. Not bad for a green motor with 250 miles on it. I'm sure it will drop into th high 30's when I start driving it like i should.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My 2011 Xroads gets about 45 during regular back and forth to work rides. I took a ride earlier this year where I played with cruise Control. I got 52 MPG over about 130 miles with the CC set to 70! That is so high I thought I made a math error. I will try to repeat it and see how it goes

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I get low/mid 30's to low/mid 40's. Don't worry to much about it, due to my truck got 10-14 mpg. So anything over 30 is great for me.
When I am riding by myself, I get 30's. If riding 2up with my wife, I get high 30's and can get 40. If she is on her bike, I get well into the 40's.

·
Registered
283 Posts
08 Vegas 8-ball here with Stage 1 (i guess) S&S intake + reflash + RPM Slash exhaust. Normal spirited driving gets me around 36-37 mpg around 150 miles per a fill up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mpg

I have a 2008 Jackpot Premium with the Stage 3 set-up.. S&S, Victory Down Swept Exhaust, Big Shot Arlen Ness Fuel Management.. I use Sea Foam every 4th fill up of fuel...

Hi-Way I get 52mpg @ 65-70mph... While doing poker runs I get up to 67mpg @ 65mph

I just put on a Set of Cobra 240's...See if my milage stays up.. since these are a bit wider than the Dunlop Elite III 250's..

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hi-Way I get 52mpg @ 65-70mph... While doing poker runs I get up to 67mpg @ 65mph
:eek:
I didn't even get that much when I had my 900 Vulcan.
I usually get mid 30's now on my Jackpot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a 2008 Jackpot Premium with the Stage 3 set-up.. S&S, Victory Down Swept Exhaust, Big Shot Arlen Ness Fuel Management.. I use Sea Foam every 4th fill up of fuel...

I just put on a Set of Cobra 240's...See if my milage stays up.. since these are a bit wider than the Dunlop Elite III 250's..
WOW!!! I would love to get that mpg! Can I ask what is a Arlen Ness fuel management system is? Im new to the Victory world and have never heard of it. Thanks for posting

·
Registered
372 Posts
Stock, off the floor, (no windshield) I was getting 42 mpg, until I had first 500 mile service and started revving higher; then it started to drop as I began exercising it more. Today, at 1000 miles, I had Stage 1 installed with 2:1 pipes and new fuel programming and know that 40-ish number will be gone, perhaps forever.
As long as the engine is fully warmed up, ride it like you stole it. If you want a dog, treat it like a pooch. :D

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Mpg

33-38 mpg. 38 mpg. when ole lady and I are cruising the back roads. Stage 1 air box and K & N air filter. The rest is stock. I get about 120- 130 when low fuel light glows. I have done the TPR. to no improvement. Guess it's just the way it is. Wish i had the 6 gallon tank!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts