Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Cross Country / stock 106 with glasspack mufflers
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel dumb asking this question but not as dumb as I feel after getting a new pair of socks to wear with my tall riding boots only to discover they're still too short, or that they fall down during use, or pinch my toes, or are a fight to get on and off, or that they shrink (or stretch) after washing/drying. My Dan Post waterproof boots come up about mid-calf and need a layer of cushion to keep from chafing my skin. I love these boots for their wind and rain protection and their looks and comfort, but they definitely need a tall sock and I am more than a little hesitant to plunk down as much as $25 a pair for the over-the-calf candidates I've seen on Amazon without some feedback from other riders. So if you've got tall boots what works for you?
Thanks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
There are some over the calf runners socks that could work for you, or for that matter baseball socks. Hit up a sporting goods store.

Reactions: theja1

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
To get them on and off easier, put a plastic supermarket bag over the sock before sticking your foot in the boot. They will go in and come out like butter.
It makes life so much easier.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To get them on and off easier, put a plastic supermarket bag over the sock before sticking your foot in the boot. They will go in and come out like butter.
It makes life so much easier.
Made me laugh because it's not at all what I meant - but a good suggestion thanks. I meant I've bought socks that were guaranteed to stay up and found they accomplish that act by being so friggin TIGHT that is takes two men and a boy to pull them on or take them back off. I believe this is what's referred to as "compression" which is a good thing if you have circulation problems but a bad thing if you just want to slip on a pair of socks without breaking a sweat and getting a hernia.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are some over the calf runners socks that could work for you, or for that matter baseball socks. Hit up a sporting goods store.
Hmm, runner's socks - I'll have to look into that. I have been disappointed before with products listed as "Boot" socks or "Sports" socks which turned out to be too thick or shrunk after a few washes.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
SOKZ brand for me. They are very comfy and anatomically correct - left and right. And they offer a summer and winter material blend. My riding boot has a full length zipper on the inside and is covered with a flap. Make getting them on and off easy.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
WalMart, six pairs to a package, way less than $25, they go up to just below the knee and stay up. Why are you all making this so complicated and expensive?

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
WalMart, six pairs to a package, way less than $25, they go up to just below the knee and stay up. Why are you all making this so complicated and expensive?
Yup, Dr. Scholl's over the calf compression socks. I buy them a bit big, they go to just under my knees and they work great. They have a few styles but I like the thinner material ones best. I also have one pair of Duluth Trading Company compression socks that also work well. But they're over $20 a pair compared to the Dr. Scholl's ones at WalMart. They ones I get at WalMart are two pair to a pack.

I was at a trade show last week where I was standing all day long plus walking a lot. We walked from the hotel to the convention center then walked downtown to dinner every night. I made sure to pack the Dr. Scholl's socks as they do work well and make a big difference.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Reactions: Chattanooga Mark

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hot or cold weather?
Hot weather mostly, which is good 'cuz I like thin socks anyway, plus these particular boots are already warm and fit really well so there's no room for anything bulky.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts