Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st post here, looking at the Victory lineup...

I am a motorcycle fan, not aligned with a particular brand. With that said, I have leaned toward Harley and Kawasaki- two polar opposites but both excellent (IMHO) machines with a lot of history...

I am researching and hope to get some good info here. Leaning toward the Vision line and will post up some questions there but would be curious what thoughts you have on how Victory had treated their customers over the years and the reliability of these machines...

/r

Allen

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
1st post here, looking at the Victory lineup...

I am a motorcycle fan, not aligned with a particular brand. With that said, I have leaned toward Harley and Kawasaki- two polar opposites but both excellent (IMHO) machines with a lot of history...

I am researching and hope to get some good info here. Leaning toward the Vision line and will post up some questions there but would be curious what thoughts you have on how Victory had treated their customers over the years and the reliability of these machines...

/r

Allen
What do you want from a motorcycle?

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Victory is a Good Bike, Reliablity so far has been great but new to the machine myself .. Ask some with 3 years and at least 30,000 miles can give you a better answer .. As far as Company treating their customers have heard complaints, but can't verify until that happens to me ..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you want from a motorcycle?
Excellent question...

My daily-rider is a 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14. Love that bike more today than when I picked her up new in 2009... I traded a 2005 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic for the Connie. I parted ways with the Ultra because it was a comfy barge- underpowered and sleepy.

I am selling a 2004 HD Fatboy (tomorrow in fact) which is technically the wife's bike- that is never ridden. With considering the sale, my wife mentioned she missed the Ultra and liked a touring bike- thus started the search.

I recall seeing my 1st Vision in a dealership in early 2009. I was impressed but thought it was something from the skunk-works of Spacely Sprockets; not really warmed up to it.

I have been looking at a new Electra Glide Ultra Limited, the Road Glide Ultra (not a big fan), and the new Goldwing. Went and took a new Ultra Limited for a ride and was very unimpressed with the 103 motor. As for the 'Wing, I can't help but wonder who's brother-in-law at Honda owns a button factory- holy gadget freak Batman!

So this takes me back to the Vision. I stopped by a local dealership to look at the Cross Country Tour and while it was a nice bike, I think I fell in lust with the look, setup and feel of the Vision. Not sure if I need a personalized plate that says "NCC-1701" but I gotta say I was really impressed seeing one in person.

Back to the original question. I want a comfortable touring rig that handles nicely (no, I am not expecting it to match my Concours), that has some nutz and something that is reliable. Throw in looks and I am set- I like the Ultra Limited for classic looks that I love. I like the Vision because I won't pass myself on the road every 10 minutes when the weather is warm.

I like to ride- period. I drank the Cool-Aid for a little bit for image but at the end of the day, I really like to ride....

What the hell have I gotten myself into...

/r

Allen

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
My daily-rider is a 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14. Love that bike more today than when I picked her up new in 2009... I traded a 2005 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic for the Connie. I parted ways with the Ultra because it was a comfy barge- underpowered and sleepy.
I see. I own an FJR in addition to my Vic.

I have been looking at a new Electra Glide Ultra Limited, the Road Glide Ultra (not a big fan), and the new Goldwing. Went and took a new Ultra Limited for a ride and was very unimpressed with the 103 motor.
Our Vic bikes are a little peppier than the Harley, but if you're expecting Concours, this ain't your machine.

Back to the original question. I want a comfortable touring rig that handles nicely (no, I am not expecting it to match my Concours), that has some nutz and something that is reliable.
Well now you're back in business. The Vics handle unfrigginbelievably nicely. And I say that as a lifetime sport/sport-touring guy. Mine is as reliable as an anvil and just a touch more difficult to maintain. IMO, Visions are gorgeous ta boot.

I'd say you gotta good game plan.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Its amusing when Harley owners (present or past) start looking into Vics, as among their first questions are ones about reliability and here's what I have to say about that....
When the dealer and I were filling out the papers for my XR back in 2010, he asked if I wanted the extended warranty, which was offered at a great price. I told him that since I'm new to Victory, I did a lot of research and peeping in the forums to see what owners were complaining about and found nothing, nada, zip was going wrong with their bikes. He said, that's right, all we see these in the shop for are accessories and regular maintenance. Three years and I have had no probs. Oil changes are 1/3 the effort of a Harley's...just one drain plug, can you believe it?!?
I have disliked cruisers for over 6 decades - its like Victory interviewed guys like me and said, OK Mr. Cruiser Hater, what would it take to get you into one of ours and they did it in spades, resolving all my cruiser complaints. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My thing is I got sick of riding a land-yacht with the EGlide. I was REALLY hoping they had some serious power updates with the new motor but I have a hard spot with spending $26k for a bike then spending another $4k for it to have oomph enough to get out of its own way. I know a TON of folks that will shout GOLDWING but I have never been a fan. I respect what they are, they just aren't something I like nor do I care for the riding position.

I need to take one for a spin...

The dealership told me they are running a promo right now... Buy the bike and ride it for 30-60 days (up to 500 miles). Don't like it, full refund.

Not sure the details of if it is legit, bit bot exactly sure how the hell I could say no to that?!

Either they are nuts and really hurting to move some bikes or they are pretty damn sure of their products...cheers

Taking the "War Department" over on Wednesday- we'll see...

/r

Allen

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Uh oh. Here comes Allen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Easy on the noob- Not sure how exactly to take that?! :confused:
Allen
You're gonna ride one, soooo you're gonna buy one. Welcome to the Vic family Allen. cheers:ltr:

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Comparing the Vision to a Geezer glide you'll come up with the following:

Vision Pros
More suspension travel, better handling, easier maintenance, less chance of loosing your bike in a parking lot, capable of carrying more weight, bigger trunk, surprisingly easy to upright

Vision Cons
Less aftermarket, less branded goodies and clothing, smaller side bags, fewer dealers

Geezer Glide Pros
More dealer support, more branded goodies and clothing, more aftermarket, more Geezer Glides, larger side bags

Geezer Glide Cons
Worse handling, more maintenace, more chances of mistaking someone elses bike as yours, requires at least 2 people to pick up.

Test ride all the bikes you are considering in the same day if possible. One will feel like it has too many bells and whistles, one will feel dated, and one will feel modern. Let the bikes tell you which to buy!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I see. I own an FJR in addition to my Vic.

Our Vic bikes are a little peppier than the Harley, but if you're expecting Concours, this ain't your machine.

Well now you're back in business. The Vics handle unfrigginbelievably nicely. And I say that as a lifetime sport/sport-touring guy. Mine is as reliable as an anvil and just a touch more difficult to maintain. IMO, Visions are gorgeous ta boot.

I'd say you gotta good game plan.
I looked at the Visions when I was looking to upgrade from my 'Pin. Loved that bike almost as much as the FJR I had before it....but I wanted bigger bags than my Kingpin had, not smaller, and THAT was really the only reason I went to the Cross bikes. I had the Cross Roads, and, well... You know what happened to that bike... Loving the Goblin so far... And during AZ bike week, actually saw one with the painted to match trunk.....Vision is a damn good bike.... Just not enough capacity in the saddlebags IMHO.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Enjoy your test rides......and I just read Pops signature..... :ltr::ltr::ltr: That's awesome!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Welcome Allen.
Read that warranty carefully. You need to own the bike for at least 30 days and still have under 500 miles on it. You do not get back the sales tax, the shipping, the dealer prep or most other things besides the price of the bike itself.
Forget that come-on and ride one, you'll buy one. Mine is due to be ready for me in 2 weeks, the dealer didn't have my color in stock. Until then I will ride my Road Glide Ultra.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took the better-half by the store to look over the Vision Tour in person.

Liked it, much more than I expected but now getting cold-feet about buying a new bike regardless of brand. Wish I knew that before I sold my Fatboy... :soapbox:

Still considering a new touring rig but I may need to take unilateral actions...

Posted up some Vision specific questions in the Vision section here- anyone with insight on them, your input there would be appreciated!

/r

Allen

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Uh oh. There goes Allen.
Yes, I'm married to a big mean Italian woman. Kinda funny that I married a Swamp Yankee from CT since I am from SC- My mother used to reminded me of this and said I get what I deserve for "marrying the enemy." :eek:

This ain't my first rodeo... "No" is no for now- not no forever.

This is how I have managed a couple of Harley's, a Concours, several cars that have come and gone over the years (including a Camaro SS convertible, 300 SRT8 and most recently a 'Vette convertible) and a variety of interesting spoils of war...

I was a little frustrated when she chimed in with this but I need to remember that after this many years (and too many Military moves) that this is her part of her game! Hell, it was her idea for a new touring rig!

The more I look at the Vision Tour, the more I like it. I am setup for a test ride this Sunday morning. I will be honest- I am still split between the Electra Glide Ultra Limited and the Vision. Looked again yesterday at the HD Road Glide Ultra- never liked them and the dash reminded me why.

I just realized I am very close to both Lloydz Motorworkz shop in NY and even closer (I think) to KMC Powersports in Westerly RI- About an hour ride in either direction from the house! From what I can tell, they can really make these bikes SCREAM! :ride:

I can't help but wonder what they could do with a brand new Vision Tour and about $4k, especially since that is what I would save on a Vision compared to an EG Ultra Limited...

/r

Allen

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yes, I'm married to a big mean Italian woman. Kinda funny that I married a Swamp Yankee from CT since I am from SC- My mother used to reminded me of this and said I get what I deserve for "marrying the enemy."
Wow, my story has parallels. Pop is an Okie that married a Connecticut yankee and my mother told my wife she would get what she deserved for marrying that horses ass.

Well, maybe not quite as parallel as I thought.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got back from the dealership.

Rode it...

Liked it...

Bought it!

Will wait a couple of days so they can actually do a proper PDI and prep the bike. Then it is off to KMC for new exhaust, Lloydz new touring cams, timing wheel tweak, air box mods and a full tune!

If I am correct, this bike should be a BEAST when he is done!

/r

Allen

1 - 20 of 28 Posts