Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out riding today with the wife and had a cager cut us off. As we finally got around to passing him he gave US the finger! Huh? I just don't get it. I did nothing to deserve that. Maybe its a pennsylvania thing

·
13,002 Posts
Very best thing you can do is have them in front of you.
Stop and get a beer and forget about him. Keep the wife happy don't get into road rage

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Was out riding today with the wife and had a cager cut us off. As we finally got around to passing him he gave US the finger! Huh? I just don't get it. I did nothing to deserve that. Maybe its a pennsylvania thing
Expect the unexpected... Always!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys are both right. I always expect to get cut off at some point but what irks me is they made it out to be my fault. Oh well, what goes around comes around

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Stop and get a beer and forget about him. Keep the wife happy don't get into road rage
VJ, that is your best post ever. Unfortunately, when people do things that endanger my life and particularly that of my wife's, they'd better hope they have a bigger gas tank than mine. :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Drink and ride?

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
I describe our Portland drivers as territorial and I met with an extreme example last night. Was egressing onto a freeway, left blinker on and left arm out. Had a nice gap, but car behind goosed it and closed the opening fast. He had me in a rapidly narrowing acceleration lane and even slowed to prove his point, whatever that was. I braked, squeezed behind him and as quick as I could, moved two lanes over to the first one and zipped well ahead of the jerk. Surprisingly, I wasn't mad, but wondered what might be going on in his life that makes him such a miserable SOB. Maybe the fact that I was heading to a bike/car show at a riverside Creole restaurant showcasing some smooth jazz had me in a mood so up that even that prick couldn't diminish it.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
VJ, that is your best post ever. Unfortunately, when people do things that endanger my life and particularly that of my wife's, they'd better hope they have a bigger gas tank than mine. :D
I hear that! I'm usually a well mannered guy on the road and I don't loose my cool too easy. I struggle keeping my cool in those situations though. I've said before, it's not like they almost caused a little fender bender, they're playing with our lives and that can set me off.

I'll usually snap the throttle open and zip up right beside them and wag my finger (not the middle one) at them as if telling a little kid "no no no".

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Once upon a time I wore the generic belted leather jacket with the small snap pocket. I carried ball bearings in that pocket. Do the math.

I still take umbrage when stupid reaches potentially terminal levels but I am resigned that stupid is on a growth curve and any effort to contain it is pissing up a rope. Darwin is more likely and better equipped to deal with dimtwads than Pop.

But I did have fun trying back in the day including one episode where a bud was packing behind me on our way back from getting him oil at Checker. After being cut off twice and getting a sign language dissertation on how much bikers suck from a beat up Buick, my friend was squirming around behind me juggling his sack of oil cans and then hollered to me to catch the driver at the next light on Indian School. I did.

Probably if that car had functioning air conditioning he would have had his window closed and his life would have been less complicated. At least the condition of his cars interior would have been less lubricated.

Don't try this at home. I am a trained cretin with antisocial tendencies. Your disposition may vary.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I describe our Portland drivers as territorial and I met with an extreme example last night. Was egressing onto a freeway, left blinker on and left arm out. Had a nice gap, but car behind goosed it and closed the opening fast. He had me in a rapidly narrowing acceleration lane and even slowed to prove his point, whatever that was. I braked, squeezed behind him and as quick as I could, moved two lanes over to the first one and zipped well ahead of the jerk. Surprisingly, I wasn't mad, but wondered what might be going on in his life that makes him such a miserable SOB. Maybe the fact that I was heading to a bike/car show at a riverside Creole restaurant showcasing some smooth jazz had me in a mood so up that even that prick couldn't diminish it.
+1 on the smooth jazz. Definitely improves the ride. That, or speed metal \m/

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
It's been about 6 years since I last skirted Portland on the 205 freeway. I found it to be significantly less hostile than any stretch of I-15 in Utah between Ogden and Provo. But I think metro areas are breeding increasingly aggressive driving. What you described, Ric, is every merging experience in Phoenix. If you're merging or changing the lanes, the through traffic will typically close the gap. If you're through traffic, the merging vehicle will often expect YOU to do something to make their merging easier. It's like some of them target fixate, match your speed, and can't decide whether they should speed up or slow down. Out of habit, I let folks in when they go to merge. I will even slow down and often move over a lane. But sometimes you can't move over and the other car has no idea what they should be doing (probably because they're checking Facebook.)

I'll tell you...I sure was happy to get back to my little freeway free town of 40,000 people on Friday.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I am resigned that stupid is on a growth curve and any effort to contain it is pissing up a rope.
It seems to be increasing exponentially, for sure.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
It's been about 6 years since I last skirted Portland on the 205 freeway. I found it to be significantly less hostile than any stretch of I-15 in Utah between Ogden and Provo.
I'll tell you...I sure was happy to get back to my little freeway free town of 40,000 people on Friday.
Normally, its not too bad here and I have learned how to play our drivers like marionettes, using their bad habits against them.
I'd love to be living in a smaller town, but as a cancer patient with my Oncologist and hospital less than ten minutes from my home, I need to stay where I am, rotten politics and all. My recent stroke proved that.

·
Registered
636 Posts
its not a PA thing. It's a four wheel thing.... and remember........ always remember.. Ya just can't fix stupid! so expect cagers will be stupid behind you, beside you and ahead of you. expect that and there will be no surprises.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts