Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Looking at trading my rough 88 Wrangler for a 2000 V92SC.

The bike is low mileage but in rough shape and has been sitting but does run, albeit a little rough.

I took it around a parking lot on Monday to make sure it rides but I wasn't able to leave 2nd gear.

Today after work I am taking it on an extended test ride to make sure there are no issues I.e. transmission damage.

Aside from a good long ride with lots of shifting, what else can I do to make sure I'm not buying a ticking time bomb?

I called the dealer with the VIN and they said the recalls have been done but according to the information I've gathered the recalls will not fix the transmission issues. From what I understand the only way to see if the trans has been upgraded is to check and see if the speed sensor is external or internal.

Anyway, I'd rather not waste my time and throw my Jeep away on a POS so opinions are greatly appreciated!

Hopefully I'll know enough to make a decision after the test ride.

Thanks everyone.

-Brian

·
Registered
483 Posts
Before you go far check the tires. Make sure they don't have cracks or splits. Honestly if they are even close to original I wouldn't drive far or fast.

Other than that most of the rubber parts will probably need to be replaced.

If it's not smoking or leaking oil you can probably get it running well fairly easy.

I say this without seeing it though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before you go far check the tires. Make sure they don't have cracks or splits. Honestly if they are even close to original I wouldn't drive far or fast.

Other than that most of the rubber parts will probably need to be replaced.

If it's not smoking or leaking oil you can probably get it running well fairly easy.

I say this without seeing it though.
I should have prefaced the thread with this, I rebuild and restore Japanese Vintage bikes so things like cracked and dryrotted rubber is a non-issue.

My primary concern is the transmission. If that goes, the bike is getting scrapped.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
It ain't the original price, its the upkeep when buying a neglected,older vehicle. Why not shoot for a newer bike, one with the contemporary Freedom 106 engine? There are bargains to be had now, what with Polaris dumping the brand.

·
Registered
2010 Cross Country / stock 106 with glasspack mufflers
753 Posts
I don't really know anything specific about the V92SC but to clarify when you say you weren't able to get it out of 2nd gear was that because you were in a parking lot and couldn't get enough speed, or because the lever wouldn't switch between any other gear than 2nd?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't really know anything specific about the V92SC but to clarify when you say you weren't able to get it out of 2nd gear was that because you were in a parking lot and couldn't get enough speed, or because the lever wouldn't switch between any other gear than 2nd?
I ran out of room to hit 3rd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It ain't the original price, its the upkeep when buying a neglected,older vehicle. Why not shoot for a newer bike, one with the contemporary Freedom 106 engine? There are bargains to be had now, what with Polaris dumping the brand.
Not a bad idea and if I wasn't trading my Jeep that's probably what I'd do. However this presented itself as a good opportunity to do an even trade without exchanging cash.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Not a bad idea and if I wasn't trading my Jeep that's probably what I'd do. However this presented itself as a good opportunity to do an even trade without exchanging cash.
What is you Jeep worth...just curious, but that might help with further suggestions.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Jeep is worth 2K tops
Well shoot, that is rather limiting. The suggestions stop here, other that to say, buyer beware on that one you're eyeballing.

·
Registered
2010 Cross Country / stock 106 with glasspack mufflers
753 Posts
If both vehicles are rough it might be one of those deals where either will be worth just about what you're willing to put into it. Actually the Jeep might win out unless it's rusted to hell because if it's worth $2k as it sits and you put $2000 more into it it'll probably be worth $4k - whereas if you put $2k into the old Vic it'd probably still be worth $2000....at least till they get so rare they become collectible - which would not be any time soon.

On the other hand you probably won't have to put anywhere near $2000 into the Vic AND IT'S WHAT YOU WANT so don't listen to me.
Ride it Till The Wheels Fall Off -click here for the sticker You're welcome :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well just finished my test ride. Rode for about 45min.

Good news- I LOVED riding it! And 3rd was smooth as silk.

Bad news- 4th gear sounds like someone shaking a jar of marbles. Didn't pop out of gear or slip but yikes it was a scary sound.

Thanks anyway for the advice guys but I'm gonna pass on this one.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Wise choice Brian. A local rider bought a bike off eBay and it arrived with a couple valves in the exhaust pipe. That's some serious valve dropping! He's stuck with the bike now. A hard and expensive lesson learned.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Now you know why Vic riders are so pissed at Polaris for dropping a great bike - you should ride a newer 106 bike if you think that was a good ride. On second thought, you shouldn't.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now you know why Vic riders are so pissed at Polaris for dropping a great bike - you should ride a newer 106 bike if you think that was a good ride. On second thought, you shouldn't.
Yeah I completely understand. This was my first real ride on a cruiser. Quite different than my 13' Ducati Monster!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts