Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been debating :confused: on what I would like to do to the bike this winter. Debating on whether to do things to change the looks of the bike such as 1 - Handle bars, 2 - bag extensions and side covers from HMD, 3 - ???? or then on the performance side thinking of going to the cams and timing gear, already have the PCV w/auto tune and air filter. Would love to go big bore:crzy:, but not of enough $$$$ yet.
If anyone has the bag extensions from HMD, please feel free to elaborate on your thoughts about them, actually for that matter any one can.thumb up

cheers

·
13,264 Posts
Go for looks. Now days no one really street races any more and you can beat that other brand for the most part.
Looks will make you stand out in the crowd.
Bag extension would be hot. thumb up

·
Registered
112 Posts
If anyone has the bag extensions from HMD, please feel free to elaborate on your thoughts about them, actually for that matter any one can.thumb up

cheers
For me it's always been performance. Then again I like having a sleeper bike.

I have looked at the HMD web-site a lot. Bought a set of draw back bars a couple of months ago even. I never realized that they sold bag extensions. Their web-site layout if strange to me, now I realize that there probably a lot of items I have never seen.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
1. Power on these types of bikes is not about street racing, it's about a heavy bike, loaded with gear and 2 people, climbing a 6% grade at 6000' elevation without needing to downshift. You say "performance" and people get images of "fast and furious" movies.

2. Apehangers and 26" wheels may go out of style next year... but performance never goes out of style.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Can't believe I am even saying this, but I would go with looks. Tricked out Victorys are few and far between so I am thinking this will give you the most bang for the buck, which often = satisfaction.

Performance of these bikes, for what they are, is really at the top of the class with the few minor changes you have already done. Although not comparably expensive to doing up a Harley, once you start getting the extra oomph from the cams, my fear is that the sickness will take over and all of your extra money will go towards "just 2 more HP and I'm done." So in the end, you have a bagger that no other bagger can ever hang with. Kind of like taking a F-18 back in time to dogfight in WWI.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks, make it look different than everyone else. For me the performance is good and I'm happy with it. Pulled the mountains 2 up with no problem.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Machines come detuned. Uncle Sam sees to that. I don't fault the guys that want to doll their rides up but to Pop first things first.
Get the power that is in the engine freed up. I paid for 106 inches and I want what I paid for. I may not get a stocker to a horse an inch but I can get closer than the factory does.
Cams and flywheels and whatnot can wait, right along with mirrors and covers and windshields and rims and the other things that I just got done paying for. I didn't buy that stuff to tear it off the bike and sit it on a shelf. But for short money I can find eight or ten ponies with what came on the bike. That's upwards of a 10% improvement for a very modest investment. I wish my portfolio could deliver like that.
I don't worry or care for that matter that my red Cross Country will appear similar to other red Cross Countrys. Hell, it is. Plus, I been riding Harleys since Steppenwolf. I long ago figured how to pick mine out of a sea of 'em.
Not worth it to me throwing money at it to make other idiots happy. I throw money at mine to make the idiot in the saddle happy. The other idiots can apply their cash as they see fit.

Same rule as always.
It's your soap, it's your shower and it's your cranny axe. Wash it however you want to.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
For me its function. MadStad Windshield so I can have it adjusted anyway I want. GPS so I can go for a ride anywhere in no particular direction and still get home. Anything that lets me ride more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like the comments so far specially "Pop's", brought a smile. I am a gear head at heart and an ex-drag racer. We were always over the winter looking for few more ponies if we could. Running 7.50's @175 mph and looking for more, can you believe that!! I can understand both sides of the fence and the bottom line is what Pop's said, the idiot in the saddle.
I currently have a buddies 2012 Street glide in my garage torn apart doing handle bar upgrade, outer fairing air brushed by someone, and inner fairing painted by someone. Just before that, I installed set of cams in it for him. We did do a baseline run this fall with 68 HP and 88TQ with hopes of getting mid 80's HP and upper 90's TQ. He tells me to leave my engine alone and go for looks, you have more power stock than all of us that you ride with, I am only Victory in our small group. thumb up

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I agree with half crazy. As far as any other changes, for me it's normally for comfort.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
The vics have plenty of power for anything..I guess if you dont liketo shift down or if you live and drive in the steep grade mountains all the time then go for power mods..Ive had this KP going on 3 years now and the only race I have had was with a bagger HD who just wanted to test the waters of the Vic..He lost. The Vics are cruisers. I would go with good looks vs power mods. I believe in theory that the engines and other components will live longer if left alone. of course there is a great argument for doing more to free up the engine. Just my opinion..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't have my XC "YET" but will in about a month or so... With that said, performance and function is what I plan to improve first. Probably not too much, but I like to get my bikes to perform the way I like 'em to before anything else. Once that's done it's time to work on the looks and adding some bling.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
We Victory owners are the lucky ones. In most cases, our bikes are ALREADY the most unique thing on most any lot during bike night. I can't tell you how many times I have had other rider's complimenting me on my "Harley Custom". The Harley riders KNOW it's not a Harley but there seems to be an endless supply of crotch rocket and import riders who have never seen one.

Having said that, I'd still likely recommend mods to help yours stand out even more (things like non-stock floorboards, mirrors, etc) all can help make the bike even more unique. In fact, one of the reasons I spent more on the Ness version was because of those unique touches that you simply don't typically see on other bikes (Diamond-cut cylinder heads, custom paint, etc).

Power on these bikes is already higher than most of the modded Harley's but there is one change you can make that will give you anyway from 3HP to 6HP & torque & that is the Lloyd's air filter. The price is something like $130 so it's heads & shoulder above things like $600 pipes (for power) or even a $450 tuner much less the additional cost of an auto tune or dyno tuning (another $300). No greater bump for the buck than the air filter to let the gal off the respirator.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I think it would be a shame to not at least let the engine breath a bit. Then adjust the fit to fit you (bars etc.). Then if you still want to blow some more $$$$'s give it some bling.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'd say comfort (shield, bars, grips, saddle), then some mild performance upgrades (filter, pipes, flash/tuner), then looks (chrome, paint, more chrome, etc.) As some have alluded to, there are so few Victorys out there in comparison to the other cruisers that they already look unique. I'd rather spend a few hundred bucks on being comfortable and putting a bigger grin on my face when I twist the throttle.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Maybe it's a blessing I don't have any extra $$$ for such things, it allows me to ride the bike I bought and be happy as a clam.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Always been for me in this order ..

1. Power-Performance-Sound...

2. Comfort in Seating and Buffeting ..

3. Looks, after 1&2 are done ..

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
if you do almost all 2 up riding you have to take into consideration
the passengers needs too. as far as performance i am happy
with my ride. neither of us like loud pipes. but she didnt disagree
with adjustable passenger boards, an ultimate seat, or that
comfy vic pass. backrest. nothing wrong with their looks either.
--irv

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I would go looks first and then power. IMO the 106 is not hurting in the power department but wouldn't hurt to have more. I ride in the mountains 2-up 80% of the time and have never felt I needed more power. I came from riding a 800 Suzuki 2-up that did fine as well, just had to shift a lot more to get the power I needed compared to the Vic where I rarely do much shifting now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts