Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get some input here on what I should do, so last week my clutch cable snapped on my way back from work. No big deal really, I threw it on the trailer an towed it home. Ordered a new cable from my local dealer (wish I searched here because I would of bought the save your ride cable) but whatever it looked like a easy enough job, I can do it. So started last night took the seat off then carefully removed the gas tank like I've done plenty of times before, set it on the table next to me when it happened. Yes my tank dropped to the floor! I yelled so hard an was so Pisces off throwing tools around the garage I don'tknow what my nneighbors thought.

So the tank is pretty badly dented an scratched all over, so i have a couple options i can find a new tank (ebay or craigslist or here) have my tank fixed by a auto bodyshop or someone who can do it, claim it on my insurance n say it tipped over, or trade the damn thing in an get a new bagger.

I was also looking into some kind of tank bag that would cover it but I'm not sure, what do you guys think???

Would any year tank fit this bike? 2007 jackpot by the way

·
Premium Member
8,965 Posts
I'd suggest you get a quote off a good autobody repair shop, that does quality work and then find out your insurance excess and weigh up if youre better to just fork out the cash for the repairs or put it through your insurance.
Youll get a better trade if the bikes undamaged, but then again youll get a better price on a private sale...bike looks to be in good nick from your tiny pic on yr profile...how about a decent pic of the bike and a couple of the damage?
Ive succesfully repaired a few tanks over the years but Im a long way from you.
think yourself lucky you didnt break your fuel pump nipple off as well!

·
13,239 Posts
Body shop would get real close to matching the paint
but it would not be dead nuts on.

Deep down what do you want
its what your wallet can afford that counts

What color is your bike

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike is black, I really like the bike an enjoy riding it a lot more with putting a Metzler rear tire on it. It only has 4k miles so she's got plenty of life, the only reason I want a bagger is the gf like to ride with me but hates how uncomfortable the seat is (I don't really care it's fine for me an I hate riding double lol). I think I'm going to run to a shop to see what they say.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Did the exact same thing with a Honda VTX a few yeas back. I checked every available option. I did the insurance claim as mine could not be easily repaired.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just never done an insurance claim

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've just never done an insurance claim
Call your claims department and you will have to confess your stupidity. Check with local body shops on what it will take to get it fixed. You may be surprised. It may not be as bad as you think. I messed mine up by using air trying to blow the dents out and disfigured the complete tank. It had flame decals and was $1500 from Honda---which is funny since the whole bike new was only $8500 at the time. Most likely you have a $500 deductible, so plan your strategy from there. Non invasive dent removal may also work depending on how bad it is. Before you panic, check your options with local body shops and bike shops--especially if you have bike shops that can hook you up with custom paint folks.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I don't have much Victory parts swapping knowledge but isn't this pretty much the same?

EBay 06 Hammer tank

350 after shipping.

Seems like a nobrainer to Pop if it fits. Even if the paint is not dead faded the same hue so what? Bike skins aren't connected so it ain't likely that anybody but you would notice.

And then sell it if you want to. Don't sell it with the dented tank.

·
Registered
837 Posts
So the tank is pretty badly dented an scratched all over, so i have a couple options i can find a new tank (ebay or craigslist or here) have my tank fixed by a auto bodyshop or someone who can do it, claim it on my insurance n say it tipped over, or trade the damn thing in an get a new bagger.

I was also looking into some kind of tank bag that would cover it but I'm not sure, what do you guys think???

Would any year tank fit this bike? 2007 jackpot by the way

BTW---forgot to mention one last thing. As for me, I am always looking for a reason to get a new-- or new to me -- bike. Specially a bagger! thumb up OTOH-- Jackpot is a sharp ride also. :confused:

·
Registered
427 Posts
I know the fuel pumps changed in 2008 so you may want to make sure if you get an newer tank that it will fit/work with your model. I'm sure you can adapt it if you have to.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I already checked thoes tanks out on ebay, I act feel my tanks in a little better condition. And might be cheaper to fix then thoes, here's the pics of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
O nice thanks for the heads up, would you know if that would fit a 07?

·
Premium Member
8,965 Posts
Yea I already checked thoes tanks out on ebay, I act feel my tanks in a little better condition. And might be cheaper to fix then thoes, here's the pics of mine.
Damage looks minimal to me.
Big advantage of working a Vic tank is the fuel pump hole should give good access inside to dolly the ding out.
But hey if you can get a black tank in good condition for $350 why are you still sitting there?

If you decide to go the repair job I'd remove the fuel pump myself so they dont damage it, also great time to fit new fuel filters!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a quick update ended up bringing the tank to a local bodyshop they charged me $399, repainted the whole tank an it looks amazing! So glad I just went this route, I'll get some pics up as soon as I can

·
Premium Member
8,965 Posts
Just a quick update ended up bringing the tank to a local bodyshop they charged me $399, repainted the whole tank an it looks amazing! So glad I just went this route, I'll get some pics up as soon as I can
Good One!...repaired and painted for the right price:)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'd suggest you get a quote off a good autobody repair shop, that does quality work and then find out your insurance excess and weigh up if youre better to just fork out the cash for the repairs or put it through your insurance.
Youll get a better trade if the bikes undamaged, but then again youll get a better price on a private sale...bike looks to be in good nick from your tiny pic on yr profile...how about a decent pic of the bike and a couple of the damage?
Ive succesfully repaired a few tanks over the years but Im a long way from you.
think yourself lucky you didnt break your fuel pump nipple off as well!
I broke my nipple once....DAMN that hurt:ltr:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts