Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...um...I dropped my bike.....long story (aren't they all)! Anyway I ended up with some gravel rash on my right lower and right side fairing. To say I was upset was an understatement! Anyway, I just happened to see a new video by Jon of Witchdoctors on YouTube showing how to take the inner fairing off. They also sell OEM paint. I bought a quart of Sunset Red, went to my friendly local auto repair place...and for $$200, got the gravel rash fixed, the inner fairing painted, and the front lower black metal cowl painted red. Really looks cool! So, at least there is a happy ending to this one. thumb up

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
Good deal man, looks good.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Great look.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Well, that's way more productive than what I do. Which is stand there looking confused.

looks good man!

·
13,185 Posts
To bad Vic is cheap with there painting.
You did a great job

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Looks good! I can't help but think of the opening line from The Six Million Dollar Man.
"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first bionic man. Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before. Better...stronger...faster." :)

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
I dropped mine on the gravel/dirt up in the mountains the other day. Felt like an idiot but was able to pick it back up with the help of a bystander.

I guess when you dropped your bike you were moving a bit faster than I. That's ok. Things have a way of correcting themselves when we least expect it.

On the other hand, it sounds like you and your bike dealt you a bag of lemons, so you chose to make that bag into lemonade. Good for you brother!!

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dropped mine on the gravel/dirt up in the mountains the other day. Felt like an idiot but was able to pick it back up with the help of a bystander.

I guess when you dropped your bike you were moving a bit faster than I. That's ok. Things have a way of correcting themselves when we least expect it.

On the other hand, it sounds like you and your bike dealt you a bag of lemons, so you chose to make that bag into lemonade. Good for you brother!!
Actually, I was almost stopped. The guy in front of me stopped and I I was just a little off balance when I stopped. Put my foot out.....it was a downward grade, and with the trunk on....it carried the bike over farther. Yeah....you always feel like an idiot when that happens. Maybe there should be a support group. ;)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yaah J! A few benjamins later you are back in business and not 100% but 150%. Looking at that dash panel is like looking out over a brand new bike I bet.

Plus, best thing from where I sit is, after this here go round and the timing wheel scare you can hang up the worry stick. Not much going to happen to your ride that you won't just sort out. Peeps fretting about oil change intervals. Meanwhile J is going up in the guts and buffing the blacktop out of his bikes skin.

That there is my notion of the zen of motorcycle maintenance. First the machine is some fancy china doll when we dump big cash on it, but over time we arrive at "Oh no you don't!" when bad things happen and we sort it out and ride.

By the by, nice sig pic.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Really like the look of your bike with the front chin fairing sides painted but the center cover left black. Also like the inner fairing painted but the speaker grills left black. With leaving those couple of things not painted your bike takes on a very high quality 'designed in' custom level. Painting everything like some do tends to make the custom look 'added on'. Your bike, IMHO, looks great, congratulations.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I do the obstacle courses sometimes so I figure I will end up dropping it there or somewhere else.

So I went to home depot and bought some clear 1" ID hose and cut pieces to fit around the bottom of the crash bars and along a short section of the crome bars that protect the bags. These are the two areas that will touch if you drop it along with the floor boards.

In order to get a straight cut I squeezed the tubing in a vise and then used a knife to cut the slit in it. Placed it over the tubing and used white plastic tie wraps to secure them.

You'll hardly notice they're there.

I dropped it one time afterwards and all I had was gravel/road marks on the tubing.

Cost me a couple of bucks and I have a peace of mine for future drops.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I do the obstacle courses sometimes so I figure I will end up dropping it there or somewhere else.

So I went to home depot and bought some clear 1" ID hose and cut pieces to fit around the bottom of the crash bars and along a short section of the crome bars that protect the bags. These are the two areas that will touch if you drop it along with the floor boards.

In order to get a straight cut I squeezed the tubing in a vise and then used a knife to cut the slit in it. Placed it over the tubing and used white plastic tie wraps to secure them.

You'll hardly notice they're there.

I dropped it one time afterwards and all I had was gravel/road marks on the tubing.

Cost me a couple of bucks and I have a peace of mine for future drops.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts