Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is the first bike I have owned with a radio antenna.

I have tried searching the forum here, but could not find anything on my question. When covering the bike with a standard storage cover, what do you do with the antenna? Is there a special storage mount position so it will sit without bending under the cover, or do I have to cut a hole in the cover for it to stick out?

·
Registered
381 Posts
FRIG! That's a good question. On my last trip I had a shorty antennae so I didn't have to think about it. This next trip I will be using the stock antennae. Today or tomorrow I will cover the bike in the garage and check it out.

·
13,038 Posts
you could un screw it cover the bike. If you do make sure you screw it back on tight a lot of guys have lost theres.

Bike covers are universal so they don't usually have anything in mind for antenna

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in a shared condo complex with underground parking so I would be covering it regularly. Continuously removing it would probably wear it out and strip it at some point.

I guess I could make a small hole in the cover and grommet it in the right location. :confused:

·
Premium Member
13,292 Posts
For everyday use I would simply replace the antenna with a shorty and save the stock long one for extended trips. Problem solved. You can find the shorty's at any auto parts store. There are lots of threads about it on this forum you can bring up with a search.

If you absolutely must keep the long antenna on; a very small pencil sized hole should do it. You can change the angle of the antenna as needed.

·
Registered
269 Posts

I have tried searching the forum here, but could not find anything on my question. When covering the bike with a standard storage cover, what do you do with the antenna? Is there a special storage mount position so it will sit without bending under the cover, or do I have to cut a hole in the cover for it to stick out?
What BBob said.. I paid around $10 for my shortie at advanced auto..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I will pick up a shorty for it.

If I am out on the open road, I will be using MP3 anyway.

cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just put a shorty on mine the other day, got it from Wal-Mart for about $9. I like the fit more than the finish but it doesn't look too bad. The reception wasn't as good as the factory one but not terrible. Biggest diff. was in AM mode. but I mostly use my Iphone so I'm mostly happy with it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So this Walmart model that I have seen referenced, is it the Scosche brand? I see them online for $4.99 ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use the cover from Beverly Bay and just bend the antenna over as I'm pulling down the cover. Have had no issues doing this, and the antenna stays straight after. It was bent over the whole winter (Nov-Mar).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use the cover from Beverly Bay and just bend the antenna over as I'm pulling down the cover. Have had no issues doing this, and the antenna stays straight after. It was bent over the whole winter (Nov-Mar).
This is what I am actually doing right now as well, until I figure out what kind of shorty to put on. It is interesting that there were no noticable issues for you after 4 months in that position. Good to know.

·
Registered
80 Posts
At home: it is in the garage, no cover, so no issues.

On the road: I bought a Victory cover that unzips to wrap around the trunk, and I pull it down to just above the antenna, no big deal. On my upcoming 4 Corners Ride, I may just leave the antenna at home as I'll be using my iPhone for my music the majority of the time.

I may consider a shorty sometime in the future, but for now I'm fine with what I have.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I made a small hole in my cover and just push the antenna through. You can reinforce the hole with iron on fabric. Works for me.

·
Registered
293 Posts
This is what I am actually doing right now as well, until I figure out what kind of shorty to put on. It is interesting that there were no noticable issues for you after 4 months in that position. Good to know.
I have the Vic factory cover. I too just bend it over enough to put the cover on. Been doing this for two years now with no issue.

When at home the bike sits in a nice and cozy garage but I also have a trailer by Lake Erie. I ride all year and the bike/cover has been through some nasty weather at the lake with no problems.

I do use a bungee cord under bike to hold the cover on if it's going to blow. The only problem I've ever had is when my girlfriend flicked a cig out the door and it landed on my covered bike. It burned a nice little hole in the cover but what can you do? Can't live with them and ....... insert your comment here.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have the Vic factory cover. I too just bend it over enough to put the cover on. Been doing this for two years now with no issue.

When at home the bike sits in a nice and cozy garage but I also have a trailer by Lake Erie. I ride all year and the bike/cover has been through some nasty weather at the lake with no problems.

I do use a bungee cord under bike to hold the cover on if it's going to blow. The only problem I've ever had is when my girlfriend flicked a cig out the door and it landed on my covered bike. It burned a nice little hole in the cover but what can you do? Can't live with them and ....... insert your comment here.
You might want to check and see if you have the two velcro slots on each side like I do for the antenna to slip through. I didn't notice it until after winter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a large flannel cover that I use in the garage. I put a large brass grommet in the cover right where the antenna would come through. Since then I have replaced the stock whip antenna with the shorty one from www.buywitchdoctors.com and now there is no need for the grommet. There is no reception loss with the shorty antenna either.

steviej

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
So this Walmart model that I have seen referenced, is it the Scosche brand? I see them online for $4.99 ?
Check out the threat...The best $9 upgrade you can make to your CC. Just installed it yesterday. Works better that the stock antenna, and costs $9. There is a photo of it up....can't take credit for that....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts