Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a new helmet. I'm curious what other people are wearing. What do you have, why, and could you post a link to a pic. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I need to get a new helmet. I'm curious what other people are wearing. What do you have, why, and could you post a link to a pic. Thanks
I've tried several brands over the years. The Shoeis have always been the best of the bunch. They are expensive, but worth it. They fit my head really well, don't create hot spots as the day wears on, have excellent ventilation, though I usually ride with the visor up anyway. They are as quiet as helmets get, reasonably light and have a large selection of styles and paint jobs. The better ones have removable and washable liners. The ratchet visor stays in place wherever you want it regardless of how hard the wind is blowing and can be removed and replaced in a matter of seconds.

There have been many brands come on the market since I've become Shoei exclusive, so there may be equal or better brands out there. I wouldn't count on it though.

I often wear an open faced model with a visor. For some reason, they got rid of that and only offer open faced without a visor. I guess you're supposed to take cover if it rains? Marketing people!:mad:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just bought a cab yellow N104. It arrived yesterday.

I already set it up with my Scala G4. Now I just need the bike to arrive at the dealer to try it out on the road.

It fits well, good thing I went with the XL based on reviews I read. Has all the features I want, got it for $330, so I am happy with it so far.

We shall see.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Paid $100 for one Shoei RF-1000 & $150 for a second new, old stock which even came with an additional tinted visor. Both have been GREAT but aren't really "cruiser" style lids so I am looking into an additional 1/2 helmet style that might allow me to talk to others easily.

That was one thing I never thought about when I first bought mine. All the cars and bikes trying to talk to me at stop lights about the bike. They can't hear me behind the full face shield so I am now considering either a modular (Schuberth SC3) or a 1/2 so that will allow me the ability to communicate with others while riding.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I ride with the Akuma Doragon lid. Its nice and has some kewl features like the front facing led and led's in the vents. but it is loud and over the past year it has rapidly deteriorated, not really what i would expect for a $400 helmet. but overall its a decent helmet.
I am in the market for a new helmet myself and I was looking at making a return to Icon, a Scorpion Exo-400 or Exo-1000, or potentially one of the newer helmets from Bell. Haven't made a choice yet as I would like to try a couple on, but I figure I will end up with one of them before the season is out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seen the big name helmets that are $400-$700, then the ones that are $100. They all look the same but is there that much of a difference? I'm not interested in risking my melon to save money, but how do you know if your paying too much or not getting enough for your money? Especially if your buying online and don't know exactly what your going to get.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My advice, go to a shop and try some on. Typically there's not a big difference between medium and large, but a bigger difference between small and medium. Good manufacturers will list their measurements so you can see what I mean. Fit is hugely important and I personally don't believe that ordering blindly online alone will make you happy. I have found that quality alone will dictate fit between different price points even within the same manufacturer. Try some on to make an informed decision then go home and order online. That's the only you're going to know if you will be happy. Also, as with most things in this industry, you get what you pay for. So yes...a $400 helmet will fit nicer than a $100 helmet. Is it worth difference? That's up to you. You'll know after you try some on.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I've seen the big name helmets that are $400-$700, then the ones that are $100. They all look the same but is there that much of a difference? I'm not interested in risking my melon to save money, but how do you know if your paying too much or not getting enough for your money? Especially if your buying online and don't know exactly what your going to get.
The $700 lids are generally due to some fancy paint job where some racer or celebrity is getting a royalty.

The $400 lids can generally be fetched for under $300 on sale or off-season.

They should all be tested to at least DOT and the better ones to Snell too. The Snell test used to be a specialized test that some argued was not very pertinent to real world accidents and may actually make the lids maximally shock absorbent.

Any helmet that flies a DOT sticker should do a decent job of protecting your noggin in a spill. But there is a world of difference in the quality, fit, noise reduction, ventilation, and comfort.

I have an HJC open face and a Shoei open face that I wear in the summer. The HJC feels like a rattly old Dodge compared to the Shoei which is more like a new Lexus. Still, based on the testing of the designs, they should be relatively equal as far as protection goes.

If you decide to go with one of these fad turtle shell hats, I would disregard the DOT sticker. More than likely, that is some crap made in China that has never actually been tested. Consider it for decoration only...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great advice!! Thanks! I definitely know the rattling helmet syndrome, and prefer the snug fit. It has been a while since I have been on a bike, so the details are fuzzy!

·
Registered
247 Posts
If possible go to a motorcycle rally. Ameriacde comes to mind now. There is usually a large trade show at these rallies and its your best chance to oogle and try on helmets from the different manufacturers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have an AGV K3 helmet in matte black. It is super lightweight and the airflow is great through the vents. I have 1 issue with it and it drives me nuts. The foam near my forehead broke down and now it squeaks when I hit bumps. It is so loud that I cannot hear anything outside my helmet. I had to go back to my HJC CL-15 helmet until i come up with a newer helmet. I cant stand the squeaking!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I wore a Shoei rf-1000 with my old vegas, best helmet i have ever used. So i just went out a few weeks ago and bought a RF-1100 merciless. LOVE IT!!!

I have heard a lot of people talk about full face helmets not being a "cruiser type" helmet. I really don't like the look of half or 3/4 helmets, i think they look silly, but that is just me. To each their own.
;)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,938 Posts
Nolan modular.

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
Bright silver Scorpion EXO900 modular and white Gmax 67 open face.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts