Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As motorcyclists, we’re all too familiar with car drivers merging into our lanes, seemingly blind to the fact we’re occupying the lane they are trying to merge into. But what’s proper etiquette when a two-lane road turns into one? Which order should vehicles in a double-file line let each other into a single-file line? Whatever your answer, it’s probably not what this woman was thinking as she comes from behind this motorcyclist and co-occupies the lane he’s in. He then gets upset, honks the horn a few times, gives the driver a quick lesson in merging, calls her a choice expletive then rides on.

Normally that’s where a story like this would end. Instead, he spots a police officer up ahead, flags him down, and sticks him on the car driver.
Read more about the What Would You Have Done: Lane Merging Edition at Motorcycle.com.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
I would merge into a lane with a Victory..... that what I would have done !!!!! Loud pipes save lives ...

If the dude just accelerated a bit then all would be "ok" at least that's what they thought us on Motorcycle school, use your engine to its ability...

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hit the gas to get in front or the brake to get behind. The point is that the rider knew before the right lane disappeared that the bitch was coming over. In a collision, no matter who at fault, he would have lost. He could have avoided any problem just as easy as her. Staying where he was aggravated the problem. Drive defensively and you'll live longer. Don't worry, be happy.

We have a related problem in BC. When a right hand lane disappears the lane separating lines also disappear about 100 yards before there is only one lane. The highways department does this on purpose. Many here drive like the person with their nose ahead of the other has the right of way. This causes real problems when people don't alternate merge properly. A$$holes come up fast from behind in the right lane and try to jam into a place they were not beside 2 seconds ago.

Add on top of that many only use signal lights when turning a corner and very few use signal lights when lane changing. When they do they think they have the right of way and just jam in no matter what the speed difference.

If you don't ride defensively in BC on EVERY trip you will be, not can be, in trouble really fast.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Dependent on my mood I'd probably back off. My road rage days are pretty much over.

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
That rider borrowed his own trouble, I have no sympathy for him. My mother admonished my brother and me; It takes two to argue. He chose to argue. Stupid.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm not a fan of cops, but I probably would have done the same thing that this guy did. Very similar situation happened to me last night, only difference is the guy literally cut me off. I was going about 60 he was going about 20. I slid at a 45 degree angle into a gas station entrance that I was lucky was there, then chased him down, screaming and yelling. I pulled around him and at the next stop light, he stayed back 200 feet. I couldn't get him to come up near me again. Probably a good thing, becasue I was so pissed, I might have gone to jail for the beating the **** out of some douchebag that truly deserved it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Dependent on my mood I'd probably back off. My road rage days are pretty much over.
exactly, and really what would it do? you never know when you might end up under the car like that guy down in florida on memorial day. personally i'd rather make it home alive to see my kids rather than try to teach some dumbass a lesson that will last about 45 seconds till they go back to their texting and driving... ride like they are all out to kill you because sadly thats prolly more true than we like to admit. we have the right to the lane and a right of way... means a whole lot in the back of an ambulance or laying in the road or on the side of road. until they raise the penalties for injuring or killing a motorcyclist due to some dumbass not paying attention, we have to ride with our heads about us because none of the cagers are.
i mean yeah he got lucky with the fact a cop was right up the road, but at that same time, what would it have done to slow it down a little, let the idiot in, and keep your blood pressure nice and low?

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
exactly, and really what would it do? you never know when you might end up under the car like that guy down in florida on memorial day. personally i'd rather make it home alive to see my kids rather than try to teach some dumbass a lesson that will last about 45 seconds till they go back to their texting and driving... ride like they are all out to kill you because sadly thats prolly more true than we like to admit. we have the right to the lane and a right of way... means a whole lot in the back of an ambulance or laying in the road or on the side of road. until they raise the penalties for injuring or killing a motorcyclist due to some dumbass not paying attention, we have to ride with our heads about us because none of the cagers are.
i mean yeah he got lucky with the fact a cop was right up the road, but at that same time, what would it have done to slow it down a little, let the idiot in, and keep your blood pressure nice and low?
Two schools of thought;

"I'd rather be a live coward than a dead hero"

OR

"Better to die like a man then live like a pussy"

Both extreme statements for this situation.

But I agree, i would have backed off and let them go. They far out weigh me and i may get crushed. I'd be happy to spout off to them at the next light or so if i ever saw them again. Lucky for the rider he found a sympathetic officer. That doesn't always happen.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Two schools of thought;

"I'd rather be a live coward than a dead hero"

OR

"Better to die like a man then live like a pussy"
lol, i'd like to think of it as taking the moral high road in the interest of putting more miles under me and my bike... saves a lot more energy for nookie later than wasting all that energy on someone who doesn't give a crap.. ;)

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
One of the greatest advantages to being around for eight decades; you no longer have the need to have to prove anything to others and even yourself. Your main concern is preserving what little is left.
Just yesterday, a jerk turned left within 2 feet of me. It happened so fast that I had no time to react in any way. As he cleared my bow and I shook it off, continuing on my way, I thought; Damn, I coulda bought an Indian Springfield on his dime. Oh well, I'd have to decide between black or red, he saved me the trouble of having to make that decision. When i got home, I told the wife that and she said that was considerate of him. Gotta laugh it off or you're in trouble.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Tell you what

One of the greatest advantages to being around for eight decades; you no longer have the need to have to prove anything to others and even yourself. Your main concern is preserving what little is left.
Just yesterday, a jerk turned left within 2 feet of me. It happened so fast that I had no time to react in any way. As he cleared my bow and I shook it off, continuing on my way, I thought; Damn, I coulda bought an Indian Springfield on his dime. Oh well, I'd have to decide between black or red, he saved me the trouble of having to make that decision. When i got home, I told the wife that and she said that was considerate of him. Gotta laugh it off or you're in trouble.
You are correct sir. You must ride like they are all out to get you and proceed accordingly. When it gets stupid keep your head and try to to not go overboard. Besides, most maroons don't have a clue about merging anyway....it's a lost art.... Glad you made it through safe.

Ride on!:|

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not a fan of cops, but I probably would have done the same thing that this guy did. Very similar situation happened to me last night, only difference is the guy literally cut me off. I was going about 60 he was going about 20. I slid at a 45 degree angle into a gas station entrance that I was lucky was there, then chased him down, screaming and yelling. I pulled around him and at the next stop light, he stayed back 200 feet. I couldn't get him to come up near me again. Probably a good thing, becasue I was so pissed, I might have gone to jail for the beating the **** out of some douchebag that truly deserved it.
Or perhaps he would have shot you or beat the **** out of you.

It is my opinion you should park the bike until you get your temper under control.

Of course, your temper will control you to attack me with your response. :nerd

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
ride every day

We ride because we enjoy it(most of the time!) & also because we may have to. Yes it seems like almost everyday some clown does some stupid move, we must try and anticipate their next stupid move and hopefully we have plenty of time to adjust are speed to avoid a collision. I try to blow things off more now as I get a little older, it does get to me sometimes & yes I do get down right pissed sometimes, but if I get that upset(pissed off!) I try to pull over and take it easy and calm down. Hard to do in some situations. But I have enjoyed riding for 38 years on the streets now. I want to add a lot more years on top of the 38 years, so hope all you brothers and sisters out there try to join me for many more years. Remember keep the rubber side down and the blood pressure down also! Stay alert! Try to enjoy the ride.:ride:

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
dude on bike strikes me as a loudmouth cockhead actually.
take away his camera and he wouldn't be riding around looking for confrontations.
then he calls on the cops...yeah hes a tool.
IMHO

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
My opinion has always been if a car comes over on you, it's your fault. If you can't speed up to get ahead, slow down and let them in. Easy solution for that. No reason to ever ride beside a car either....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Or perhaps he would have shot you or beat the **** out of you.

It is my opinion you should park the bike until you get your temper under control.

Of course, your temper will control you to attack me with your response. :nerd
NO, I won't attack you, but I will say that if he were to shoot me, he better hope that he has a faster draw and better aim than I have.

Your opinion that I park my bike is invalid. I ride. Maybe my temper gets the best of me from time to time, but I guarantee you that kid was watching for bikes the rest of the day and maybe, just maybe, he'll remember the situation and be more cautious in the future, thereby saving you or someone you love from a tragic accident.

We can not force every mope on the road to look for us, but if we are in situations and we make our presence known, at least that 1 individual will (normally) understand where they messed up and typically be a little more cautious, even if only for a brief time.

If you choose to ride scared, then why ride? I ride for the joy of the ride and I do everything that I feel comfortable with, to make my presence known to those driving around me.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Only wish I was lucky enough to have a COP conveniently placed like that even once during the many times have had that happen to me.

BTW, general rule of etiquette and in some states the law is: Alternate vehicles at merge point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts