Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, new to the forum, I'm looking at a new bike after an accident with my old one, an 85 yamaha xv1000. The 2014 highball looks like the best option i can find for new bikes that are out there, and figured I would come on here for a little info and what not

anyways, i'm James, look forward to getting to know you guys

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Welcome James. Victorys are well engineered, well constructed, comfortable and handle beautifully. Test ride the one that appeals to you and decide. Its your money, your taste and your butt. It doesn't matter what we think.
I have had mine for 4-1/2 years with not one problem and this 77 year old finds working on it a pleasure, even removing the wheels.
When taking that test ride, keep the revs up over 2200 RPM and use 3,000+ for shift points.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey Ricz, thanks for the reply, I test drove one a week ago, it was pretty awesome, enjoyed the ride and power, i'm a pretty tall (and a little wide) guy, at 6'2" and 220lbs, and I really enjoyed the fit, the ape hangers were about the right height for me, and the power was great!

so far the only thing bad i've heard was from the salesman at ducati yesterday, and that was that they don't hold their value like other bikes, but quite simply, i couldn't care less about resale value of my stuff, I buy it to enjoy it, not to sell it later...

the big thing I didn't like about the highball though, was the lack of ABS, i would really like a bike that has one, I know there's lots of debate about abs vs non abs, but with my accident 3 months ago, and knowing it probably wouldn't have happened if I had ABS.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
I too had a crash (I never call 'em accidents) that might have been avoided with ABS. So I practiced fast stops until I gave myself more confidence.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oo, that sucks! were you ok after yours?

in mine I was passing a bus stopped at a bus stop, when it pulled into my lane, the car in front of me slammed on the brakes the bus was coming over, and there were cars in the lane next to me, so i grabbed the brakes and locked up the front tire, high sided and hit the ground pretty hard

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Bike and rider received scrapes and bruises, nothing more. Guess what? She was using a cell phone at the time. I carry the above photo in a 8X10 in my bike. Whenever I can, I whip it out to show a driver on a phone and tell them someone doing what you're doing did this to me.
You were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I learned a long time ago to leave myself a safety cushion between me and the car ahead, especially in urban traffic.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
VJ is right. New models will be released at Sturgis the first week in August. At that time you can bargain for a "left over" 2014 or maybe the new line will include something you like even more.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum.
VJ is right. New models will be released at Sturgis the first week in August. At that time you can bargain for a "left over" 2014 or maybe the new line will include something you like even more.
awesome, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear! I figured the 2014's would go "on sale" as soon as the 2015's were announced, and no one I asked up here seemed to know when new model years were announced...

the other thing that I have on my side is I live in canada, and riding season ends for the winter and virtually everyone puts the bike away for the winter, so sales plummet dramatically, which means I should be able to get an even better deal in the next month or two! :)

it's kind of amazing the number of people i've been talking to who just walk in and pay sticker price for vehicles... two of my friends now (interestingly enough, both asian) one payed full price for his ninja, and was confused when I asked what he paid vs the asking price, and another when she bought a new jeep

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
I bought mine in February and was able to get a very good price. Let them sit on 'em for a while during the winter doldrums, they'll be glad to get a warm body in the store.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had thought of doing that, though I run the risk of them not having any victory's in the store by that time, it being packed full of snowmobiles, it does snow up here in canada! lol

they don't have any snowmobiles in the store right now, but tonnes of polaris sideby sides and ATV's, so i'm thinking in a few more months, they will do a switch, put all the bikes in storage and that'll be that

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
First thing, there's more than one dealer out there. Some of them are far enough away that you get to burn your break in miles off on the ride home, or ship it or both. Even factoring in the cost of air fare, hotels, fuel and time off from work, you can put together a deal on a leftover that makes extraordinay effort pay off handsomely. The interwebs has made motorcycle buying a national or continental activity. Dealers know this too. Some folks tout dealer loyalty and expect that having bought the machine from a local dealer they will benefit from a relationship that buying from that dealer fosters. Expectations or cash in pocket? I vote cash.

OTOH if you find a bike locally that falls in the "must have" bucket, haggle with the dealer, walk away from the deal if it doesn't get where you want it to get but tell him to give you a call if he changes his mind. Then when it comes time to pack up his remainders to storage so that he can move winter stock in, he is going to want to make that call before he commits time and space to a machine that is losing value by the minute. That's a gamble but the odds improve for you with every day that the sun sets earlier.

There's more than one way to get where you have your cake and eat it too. A little effort yields a little deal. A big effort, you do the math.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that's not a bad idea...

the other thing i'm thinking about is buying a bike in the states, and bringing it back to canada, they are asking 13,499 in the us for the highball, and 14,999 up here. there's a washington dealer about an hour and a half from me, but the question is is it going to cost me $1500 in tax to bring it across the border back into canada, and how much is it going to cost to get it inspected to be insurable in canada... I am pretty certain it's going to need a new speedo (km/h instead of mph) and probably a $100 out of country inspection, even though it's brand new...

if I buy it up here though, i'm hoping I can get it for 13,500 OTD, and I will likely be paying cash, i've got a friend who wants to lend me a small fortune, so that's good, but it depends on timing, and i'll see if they can throw in a set of rear pegs for it, tell them they don't need to install them, I can put the 4 bolts in myself...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts