Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I maybe totally wrong but isn't a Cross Country Tour just a Cross Country with a top case? And then what's the difference in a Cross Country and a Magnum? And I thought Harleys were confusing.:frown I'm trying to replace my Electra Glide Ultra so that's the direction and reason for the question. Except for CB, I thought a replacement would be very easy but I'm seeing all these different flavors of what looks like the same basic bike. I'm getting a headache.:laugh

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Cross Country Tour includes the following

- Top Case
- Hard lowers
- Taller windshield
- iPod connection and 12v connector in hard lowers
- Tip-over protection bars for the bags

and probably more that I can't think of right now.

The Magnum differs from the Cross Country in that it has flashier paint, better stereo, and a 21" front wheel stock (plus others that I cannot remember right now)

·
Registered
347 Posts
^^^...+ Heated Grips and a Heated Seat (on the XCT)

·
Premium Member
13,152 Posts
Magnum is one inch lowered compared to the XC and XCT.

Basically the Magnum would be like the Street Glide, the XC like the FL Classic without the tour pack, the XCT like the Ultra. There are many differences between them but yes, you're right, they are basically the same bike just set up differently for different riders.

Do you tour a lot? If so get the XCT. Then again you can get the XC or Magnum and tow a motorcycle trailer for touring if you prefer a more custom or sporty look on a daily basis. The trunk and backrests are quick release so you can have it both ways by getting the XCT or buying the trunk separately with the XC. The X-bikes are very customizable too. The Vision really isn't but is a great touring bike.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
In addition to all of the extras listed above, the Cross Country Tour (XCT) also has passenger floorboards and air management 'winglets' on the fairing.

The lower fairing (already mentioned) has storage space and more air management vents.

The trunk is removable, and provides a high tail & brake light, two additional speakers and another 12-volt outlet (for a total of three on the Cross Country Tour -only one on the regular cross country).

·
Registered
222 Posts
And a fork lock........

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
What about a fork lock?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I guess I'm on the right track focusing on the XCT to potentially replace my Ultra. I was suddenly seeing so many different flavors of what looked like the same thing. They are. This helps though to keep it straight.

I wasn't even aware some models had no fork lock though. So are those models just depending on the ignition switch to deter theft? Or is there some other locking feature somewhere? In case I zoom in on a used one.

·
Premium Member
13,152 Posts
Thanks. I guess I'm on the right track focusing on the XCT to potentially replace my Ultra. I was suddenly seeing so many different flavors of what looked like the same thing. They are. This helps though to keep it straight.

I wasn't even aware some models had no fork lock though. So are those models just depending on the ignition switch to deter theft? Or is there some other locking feature somewhere? In case I zoom in on a used one.
No other locking feature but honestly; X bikes haven't been on the thieves radar so far. Just not enough market for the parts and a little too easy to track back. Still, on overnight trips, I use a brake rotor lock.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
No other locking feature but honestly; X bikes haven't been on the thieves radar so far. Just not enough market for the parts and a little too easy to track back. Still, on overnight trips, I use a brake rotor lock.
I'm with Bob on this. I carry a disk lock -- and a pricey one, at that -- but hardly ever use it. If I'm traveling, I always ask the motel if I can park it out front, e.g., underneath the lobby-pull-up overhang.

And if you do some searching on YouTube, you can find some videos where people kick handlebars to break fork locks in a few seconds.

In the end, that's what insurance is for.

One more thing: not only does the XCT come with passenger boards instead of pegs, but the boards are adjustable (three heights, and some minor angle play). If you carry a passenger a lot, that can be important.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I'm with Bob on this. I carry a disk lock -- and a pricey one, at that -- but hardly ever use it. If I'm traveling, I always ask the motel if I can park it out front, e.g., underneath the lobby-pull-up overhang.

And if you do some searching on YouTube, you can find some videos where people kick handlebars to break fork locks in a few seconds.

In the end, that's what insurance is for.

One more thing: not only does the XCT come with passenger boards instead of pegs, but the boards are adjustable (three heights, and some minor angle play). If you carry a passenger a lot, that can be important.
I have been using a 2 sets of Smith and Wesson handcuffs(got them from a cop buddy when his force upgraded) to secure my motorcycle when I travel for years. 1 set gets hooked to a wheel spoke and the fork and the other set to the rear wheel.
Cuffs are great for locking up your helmet and gear as well.

I've also used them for their intended purpose to control some dumbass who tried to beat up his girlfriend at a gas station.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have been using a 2 sets of Smith and Wesson handcuffs(got them from a cop buddy when his force upgraded) to secure my motorcycle when I travel for years. 1 set gets hooked to a wheel spoke and the fork and the other set to the rear wheel.
Cuffs are great for locking up your helmet and gear as well.

I've also used them for their intended purpose to control some dumbass who tried to beat up his girlfriend at a gas station.
I was on patrol on a bicycle in the downtown area years ago, and when we into a larger building or a restaurant to eat we always handcuffed our bikes to an immovable object, that is when I began carrying two sets of cuffs. It basically boils down to stopping the opportunistic thief, the professional car/bike thief will stop at nothing aside from staring down the barrel of a .45!

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Rock on! :smile

·
Registered
367 Posts
I dont think any of the North American bikes ever had fork locks, CCT and CC only ones shipped overseas because of different regs. Your buddy may have installed ones after. Am |I right???

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 15 XC does have a fork lock. Didn't see it advertised anywhere though and just happened to notice it a couple weeks into owning the bike.

Apparently I'm not all that observant...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
My 15 XC does have a fork lock. Didn't see it advertised anywhere though and just happened to notice it a couple weeks into owning the bike.

Apparently I'm not all that observant...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 15 XC has a lock as well. I doubt that I will ever use it, but it is definitely there.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Took me awhile before I noticed my fork lock also.

·
Registered
567 Posts
One more, the XCT has ABS and it is an option on the XC. Unless they changed it on the '15.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Per victorymotorcycles.com

The only 2015 xc without abs is the 8ball. The 2016 red with black flames xc is the only "bagger" with abs, the white and titanium xc's do not have abs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts