Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
It depends on how much oil you are over by. It can cause pressure build up in the engine and blow seals or start to foam causing oil to blow back a foul the plugs. If you are over by more than 1/2 quart I would drain and refill and pull plugs and check them also.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I noticed was I think clutch slip doing an easy 50mph through the park. Happened once it was maybe 85 degrees out, have about 300 miles since last change. The oil was up all the way on the stick.

Changing oil this week, going back vic oil. This last one was 1 gallon rotella with a little castrol 4t and a little vic oil. Didn't have enough rotella lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
207 Posts
First thing you will notice is the seals will start to go ask me how I know. That was with a very small amount of oil over the recommended. No clutch slipping or anything else to indicate an issue until the left side engine gasket started peeing on my leg.

·
13,263 Posts
you say to much
what you never read your manual to see how much and how to check.
Why would you do a silly thing like that.
You did go that much over and you should be ok but don't do it again

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Too much oil will create excess crankcase pressure, which can cause seals to weaken and leak. Some bikes (Kawi Vulcan 2000s I know of specifically) will create their own siphon with the crankcase breather and douche your leg down with hot oil if they're overfull too much. Basically, no good comes of it. Something to be avoided. I think you're better off a half quart low than a half quart over any day.

I'm also curious as to what you mean by "clutch slip." 50 MPH in 5th is my worst spot for gear lash. I'll go 5 mph over just to avoid it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a slight mistake, I had checked after I did the fill. It was low so I added and check it again, was spot on. Somehow I have multiplying oil molecules I guess lol.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
They sell a small pump at AutoZone and such that you can draw some oil out with through the filler hole....

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
They sell a small pump at AutoZone and such that you can draw some oil out with through the filler hole....
Or you can just nick mama's turkey baster.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah I would crack loose the filter, but I'm changing to fresh vic oil. See if the clutch acts differently

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The dealership I bought my bike from overfilled my oil by over a 1/2 quart at the 500 mile service. Oil started leaking out of the primary seal by the time I got home (150 mile ride).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts