Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I've done a search of the forums twice now and can't find this answer...)

2003 Vegas - 11,537 miles

Inside the tank, immediately forward of the gas cap (about the 1 o'clock position) and in front of the neck flange, there is what looks to be a little metallic cylinder of sorts (1ci?) and it's attached to a piece of metal that feels to be about 1/2" wide x 3" across to the left side of the tank. You can cup two fingers under there and feel the assembly.
I've looked in my RepairPro service manual and I don't see any mention of this.

Whatever it is just came loose after my last fill up. The attached "arm" is now acting like a spring and when the bike vibrates in just a certain way, this cylinder makes an obnoxiously loud pinging as it hammers the underside of the gas tank.
It feels like there's probably 1/16" - 1/8" (2-3mm for you metric chaps) clearance between the top of the cylinder and my tank.

So what's up with my bike? I rode it approximately 10 miles home and that's about it. I didn't notice any performance or ride issues of any type. And there's no leaks anywhere that I can see nor smell. (My bike is a Victory, not a H-D :p)

Below is a quick & dirty reference to it's approximate size and location.

Attachments

·
13,027 Posts
Go to your dealer and have him call victory. Ask them to warranty it for you

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gibson...that's the same diagram in my service manual and what's 'up in there' isn't shown in the diagram, at least not from how I'm looking at it. Based on my picture, what does it correlate to in the diagram?

VisionJohnny...What is the problem that I'm taking it to them for? And how do I get it warrantied 9 years later? I only had a 5-yr warranty on the bike.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The tubing for the fuel pickups would probably be right about where you think the problem is.

Your best bet is going to be draining the tank, pulling it off, flipping it over and taking the fuel pump assembly out. You may want to get a fuel pump gasket and a couple of fuel pickup filter bags before you start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tubing for the fuel pickups would probably be right about where you think the problem is.
Umby, why would tubing for fuel pickups be at the front-topside of the tank where there's normally just air? The fuel pump (and respective fuel pickups?) is at the back-bottomside of the tank where the fuel collects.
:confused:
...And I'm still unsure of what that little cylinder is.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Comparing the fuel pump assy to the tank in the IPB it looks like the tubing could reach that far forward. Granted pictures can be deceiving but the only way you'll know for sure is to pull the pump and get a look from the bottom.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, bad news for me.
I had the dealer tech call Victory. Apparently, what I'm seeing is the baffle that holds the breather tubes in place. This baffle is spot-welded inside the tank at the fab plant. And that's pretty much it.
Once the tank is sealed up, there's no real way to get to it without opening up the tank or doing some Bubba Engineering.
And even if it could be spot-welded again, how would you do that without marring the painted side?

According to Victory via the dealer tech, they used the same tank from '03-'07 and haven't had any reports of this problem. "Yea, Me!" :(

So what are my options? (Anyone feel free to chime in)
  • try to get another tank and get it painted same color (Sonic Blue)?
  • try to argue with Victory for replacement?
  • ???

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Ask Victory what would happen if the lose metal piece manages to create a spark as it hits the top of the tank? :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
victory

ictory never has heard or any problems Im finding out you just have to post something here and ask for responce and make copies for use in the future.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, so I happen to do an ebay search and it only returned one result. I don't want the tank because it's dented, but the treasure here was the pictures! It shows exactly where my problem is. And correct me if I'm wrong, that piece/part is not shown in the service manual break-out diagram!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
It looks like it it be pretty easy to fab a tab to put over the line. Once you have a tab to secure it you can use a self tapping screw to hold the tab down which would serve the same purpose as the factory spot weld.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
THREAD RESURRECTION

So I finally got around to pulling off my tank today and I found the real source of the sound. I was pretty much correct, in that the little cylinder housing was banging on the inner lip of the gas lid flange which was causing my pinging, but didn't expect to find this...

(These would be the equivalent of looking up through the bottom of the tank)

I was thinking that I could potentially use a thin piece of steel or aluminum and some JBWeld and create a bandaid of sorts over it, using a small clamp to hold it in place while it cures. Although figuring out that lil' feat in such a small, confined space is still TBD.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thread Edit: It would seem that the original pictures I posted in August '12 is not the exact same thing as what I have. The pics were originally from an ebay listing for an '03 gas tank. Clearly, the insides of that tank are different than mine. Wondering...if that was an '03 tank, was there a manufacturing change mid-cycle? (no pun intended) And is mine the first go or the revision? *shrugging*

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
It looks like the crack is only on one side so it probably won't go anywhere. I would start by bending the metal up/down where the crack is and by bending the metal inward where the rub is. Moving the impact points away from each other would eliminate the rattle.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yep. JB it. It's hidden and it's not going to get any better bouncing around in there. Besides that noise sure takes the fun out of riding I bet.

I might see if I could find a spring clip like a body panel nut or some such thing to slide over the crack and gob it right in with the JB. I don't know if it would do any good but it wouldn't hurt to try to reinforce the area.

I'd JB it, throw it back on, start looking for a replacement tank at a decent price, then either sell it to some guy with a dented tank or develop a plan for modifying the old tank profile.

Nine years old. Factory will listen to the problem right up until they think you want them to foot the bill for the fix.

·
13,027 Posts
In that very first photo up on top there are two pins sticking up could you get a hose clamp around them and the cup thing to hold it in place

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It would seem that the original pictures I posted in August '12 is not the exact same thing as what I have. The pics were originally from an ebay listing for an '03 gas tank. Clearly, the insides of that tank are different than mine. Wondering...if that was an '03 tank, was there a manufacturing change mid-cycle? (no pun intended) And is mine the first go or the revision? *shrugging*
I looked at another ebay auction jsut now. There's another "2003 Vegas" gas tank on there...sonic blue. I see another difference in this tank versus mine. Auction Listing
If you look at the one picture of the full bottom side of the tank, there's only one breather hole. I have two on my tank. I looked in my FSM and apparently I have a California tank. I'm not entirely sure how my bike ended up with a California tank when it was special ordered from the factory with a destination of Ohio. :confused: I wonder if there's any other "Gotchas" about my bike that were Cali-specific, such as items that would decrease performance relative to non-Cali bikes (similar to cars in the 80's).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts