Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, among other bikes I've been considering Victory's. One thing unique to Victory is that the dealerships are stocked up with executive and factory demos.

Does anyone know what the real story is behind all these bikes? I'm finding it tough to believe that Polaris has that many executives or offers 6,000 mile demos.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Does anyone know what the real story is behind all these bikes?
I do not know. If I may take a stab at guessing, you're probably seeing the bikes used in the Fuel It demos. But like I said, this is nothing more than a guess.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Unlike most manufacturers Victory is pretty lenient with test rides. You can usually get away with taking a bike out for an hour or so. Its not at all like HD; you get a better feel for a bike when you can get seat time in a variety of traffic or roads that go beyond the 2 or 3 blocks you get on a HD. The best part is you aren't chaparoned one normal test rides. Its a little different with the fuel it rides; they take out several riders at a time and they usually have a ride captain. This tends to put quite a few miles on the demos.
Miles are good though; the bikes are well maintained and kept in very good shape visually. They are also pretty easy to get price breaks on. I've heard of several people getting. $3500 to $4000 off on 2010 demo bikes. You still get the same warranty and can most likely get an extended warranty thrown in if you don't ask for too large of a discount.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Demos from Reps, engineers, magazines, trucks, etc. Vic sells the non current and demo fleet at a pretty fair price to dealers. At PoG we have gotten a couple of bikes that were featured in magazines, and a Vegas that was used as a product placement in the movie Beauty Shop

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Demos from Reps, engineers, magazines, trucks, etc. Vic sells the non current and demo fleet at a pretty fair price to dealers. At PoG we have gotten a couple of bikes that were featured in magazines, and a Vegas that was used as a product placement in the movie Beauty Shop
So this isn't like the old days of GM slipping the manufacturer buy backs out as Brass Hats?

What is PoG?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unlike most manufacturers Victory is pretty lenient with test rides. You can usually get away with taking a bike out for an hour or so. Its not at all like HD; you get a better feel for a bike when you can get seat time in a variety of traffic or roads that go beyond the 2 or 3 blocks you get on a HD. The best part is you aren't chaparoned one normal test rides. Its a little different with the fuel it rides; they take out several riders at a time and they usually have a ride captain. This tends to put quite a few miles on the demos.
Miles are good though; the bikes are well maintained and kept in very good shape visually. They are also pretty easy to get price breaks on. I've heard of several people getting. $3500 to $4000 off on 2010 demo bikes. You still get the same warranty and can most likely get an extended warranty thrown in if you don't ask for too large of a discount.
I did one of those kind of test rides when Victory's first came out. It was through a hardware store/dealer of all places.

I didn't know they were still doing those.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
According to the Victory website they are doing the fuel it demo tour again. The site says the are posting the schedule soon.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
According to the Victory website they are doing the fuel it demo tour again. The site says the are posting the schedule soon.
Woo hoo! Free hot dogs, soda, and ride different bikes 'till your butt is sore! :clap:

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
We don't get hot dogs or sodas. Maybe that's why it's pretty easy to haggle prices down; they aren't spending money on promotional crap.

I currently live in Utah and there are a LOT of kids here! Giving out free food in a shop full of expensive bikes and ATV's is a recipe for disaster! Just imagine a bunch of sugar buzzed uncontrollable children climbing all over everything in the dealership.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Besides a superior machine, the way Victory handles customers sealed the deal for me.
Went by the dealership, gave them my DL, and they said pick anything you want.
Figuring they had "demo" bikes in the back, I was informed that wasn't the case, and pick any bike off the showroom floor. A few minutes later, the fuel tank was full, not just enough to get you 10 miles (HD), I was told to take it out and try all road conditions. The only "order" I was given, was to have the bike back by 6PM when they closed. I took off on my test ride at 2 in the afternoon. No "shadow" rider, just go.
Put about 75 miles on it, returned and made the deal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I remember correctly, that's Polaris of Gainesville, where Kevin works.
Ah, Kevin, would you mind sending me invoice and incentive info on a 2011 XR and XC so I can steal one up north here? Do I really have to pay for paint? ;)

Can't blame a guy for trying...

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Ah, Kevin, would you mind sending me invoice and incentive info on a 2011 XR and XC so I can steal one up north here? Do I really have to pay for paint? ;)

Can't blame a guy for trying...
Nice. The invoice amount won't help you too much. If the dealer you walk in has plenty of demand, and limited supply, they'll sell their product over MSRP and won't negotiate their price down. Conversely, if the product is sitting and there is no demand, you can purchase it below invoice! So, the invoice is very irrelevant. Finding out what others paid for theirs will be a more realistic figure to base your negotiation plan on. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice. The invoice amount won't help you too much. If the dealer you walk in has plenty of demand, and limited supply, they'll sell their product over MSRP and won't negotiate their price down. Conversely, if the product is sitting and there is no demand, you can purchase it below invoice! So, the invoice is very irrelevant. Finding out what others paid for theirs will be a more realistic figure to base your negotiation plan on. ;)
Its 4 degrees here in MN and I'm the only non-salesperson I've seen at a dealership. What do you think my chances are?

I see a place in GA selling '11 XR's for $12999 with leather bags + a $500 accessory coupon. That seems like a good starting point.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I see a place in GA selling '11 XR's for $12999 with leather bags + a $500 accessory coupon. That seems like a good starting point.

I say go for it , all they can say is, . . . NO

when i bought my bike oct. 09 i shopped the web, the place i bought my bike at , altho 35 miles away, and a dealer closer, he met the on line price i had printed out, with me. so it never hurts to ask.

steve

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow, my wife noticed that Vic in the movie Beauty shop. Do you know what year that Vegas was Kevin? Did you guys finally sell the bike?

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Its 4 degrees here in MN and I'm the only non-salesperson I've seen at a dealership. What do you think my chances are?

They want your money, and consequently their commission, more than you want the bike. Trust me. Don't think they're not desperate to sell one.

Go in a few times. See what the lowest price you can negotiate, then walk away. Tell them the deal is almost good enough, but not quite there. It's all up to how much time and energy you're willing to spend negotiating.

Remember, they're in a rush to sell a bike. You're not in a rush to buy one. You can walk into any dealer and drop $13k on a bike any time you wish. The dealer however, cannot have someone drop in at any time they desire and drop $13k on their product.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts