Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure, the title is misleading, but what's it take to drag the floor boards on an XCT?? I ride a road to and from work every day that has a ton of really nice curves. But today was the first time I didn't have someone in front of me to hold me back. So I'm riding home from work with a buddy who is on H-D bagger. We approach a 25 mph right hand curve and I decided to take it at 60 mph hoping to touch the floor boards to the pavement. But ****, only noise was my pipes and stereo. Behind me my buddy was at about 50 mph and he drug his boards the whole time. I'm so jealous :) This is the first bike I haven't scrapped the floor boards on that curve. Maybe tomorrow I can hit it a little faster cheers

You only die once, but you live every day...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
You want to drag hard parts? I wish I didn't drag my pegs or anything for that matter. Are you using the whole tire? Do you have chicken strip's?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Nothing.

This is the first bike I ever had that doesn't drag crap all over the parking lot. I can do it, but for the most part have to try. As for riding on the road, there are many reasons some don't and some do, mostly to style or ability. Touch the boards on a XCT, and you are in a very narrow window before disaster, just saying.

The bike is fine. cheers

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm normally easy going when I ride, but once in a while I need to get my heart pumping. That may be the reason I stopped riding sport bikes. Maybe another day it will happen when I get another wild hair. This was the most I've had it in a lean and the bike handled it really well and I did have a smile on my face :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Back in the 70's i would challenge those 25 mph advisory signs...
Then i started to push it a little faster.. Bam low sided.. The problem is when you do find the limit' Its gonna hurt...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Nothing wrong with not scraping. This past weekend I was riding with a buddy who has a tour glide. We were feeling frisky entering a cloverleaf and he was in front of me. He scraped pretty hard and almost went down. I was right behind him and not even close to scraping. One of the best things about my vic is the handling and clearance. It is a definite safety advantagethumb up

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
You want to drag hard parts? I wish I didn't drag my pegs or anything for that matter. Are you using the whole tire? Do you have chicken strip's?
Chicken strips, haaaaaa funny mate ....

I only sometimes scrape my pegs-pins in corners, but I believe this is a bad thing, if it scrapes then you are just over where you wane be

When I had the E3 tire i did not use the whole tire / now I have Metzler and use the full tire, only 4 mm so called "chicken strip's" hahahah I like that word ...

·
Registered
636 Posts
No problem scraping...... But only........... when I want to...

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've scraped the boards a couple times on each side. A couple times in a hair-pin turn. The other times I did intentionally while making a sharp 90* left or right turn just so I can get the feel of the lean angle capability. A week or so ago I managed to scrape the bottom of the bag guard on the left side - contact plate directly beneath the side reflector on the bag. We were two-up, with air shock at about 50+ psi, on a very steep section in a very tight turn on a twisty road (Calif Hwy 1 north of Fort Bragg). The driver floorboard didn't touch down, but the bottom of the bag guard touched down good (felt it) and left a scrape mark on the chrome plate . . . and gave me a wake-up call that we could easily low side if I didn't manage it. This bike and the ground clearance never ceases to amaze me. :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
I can do it when pushing a bit in a particularly twistie section and really getting into it.

For those who know I can do it on a lot of turns in the White Spars/Prescott and Mingus Mountain/Jerome in northern AZ.

Or if I decided to forget all my technique and not lean I can do it on your average right turn.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It really isn't all that hard. I have ridden the Snake, Rattler, Tail of the Draggin (intentional misspelling), Trail of the Lonesome Pines as well as numerous other no name mountain roads in NC, KY, TN, VA etc.

Coming from a sport bike, sport touring style of riding, I have found that the ground clearance, while adequate, is still wanting when pushed moderately hard. This occurs more often on decreasing radii corners.

Not nearly as bad as the GW I had, but no where near the clearance of my old Norton!

·
Registered
261 Posts
It really isn't all that hard. I have ridden the Snake, Rattler, Tail of the Draggin (intentional misspelling), Trail of the Lonesome Pines as well as numerous other no name mountain roads in NC, KY, TN, VA etc.

Coming from a sport bike, sport touring style of riding, I have found that the ground clearance, while adequate, is still wanting when pushed moderately hard. This occurs more often on decreasing radii corners.

Not nearly as bad as the GW I had, but no where near the clearance of my old Norton!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I rode the Dragon, back and forth (I was visiting family in Asheville, NC, about two hourse away) about a month after I got my XCT in '12. Here's the best shot of my day, IMHO:

http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/hi-res/170227.jpg

I scraped the floorboards three or four times that day, but as others have noted, it's pretty difficult, the bike's got a lot of ground clearance (especially with a lot of air in the shock), etc. OTOH, I've managed to scrape the boards a few times when I was just taking garden-variety roundabouts with enthusiasm, maybe making a real delayed-apex out of the entry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It can be done and when you do it on purpose its fun when it happens and your not expecting it,well it will wake you up.. 1st week on the bike going to work took a right hand turn a little to fast when that board hit I straightened right up and then said this bike is awesome!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have a gremlin bell hooked to the bottom of my right crash bar. Making it jingle in a corner is as close to scraping the boards as I want to get coz at that point, I'm almost kissing the road! (least it seems that way)

·
Registered
693 Posts
The underside of my floorboards don't look so good. I do it enough it doesn't catch me off guard. I have, however, dragged my bag bars a few times. ALWAYS a big pucker factor when you hit a complete hard point and that rear tire lifts up a little bit.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Screw putting hard parts on the ground. I've done it but not on the victory. First time was on my honda 919. 98mph going around T12 at spokane and I put my sidestand bracket on the pavement. Through no skill of mine but way more luck than I have ever experienced at any other time in my life I did not crash despite feeling the bike start to slide. Either the banking increased at the moment or I hit hard enough to "bounce" back to a lesser lean angle. Either way the momentary loss of traction forced me wide exiting the turn which left me at better than 80mph pointing directly at the wall. I got it reeled in and made it through.

Second time was also on my 919 when I was stupidly trying to follow a race prepped r6's lines through a couple turns (again on track). He entered a turn too early (as did I) and ended up wide on the exit where the track goes off camber. He had the ground clearance to make it through, I did not. Sidestand bracket again but this time not so lucky. 20ish mph lowside in full leathers left me with a chunk of my knee about the size of a silver dollar missing. That took almost a month to fully heal.

Those two experiences were more than enough for me, I'll keep my hard parts up in the air where they belong.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back when I rode a Road Star I got use to scrapping the floor boards all the time. It seemed like every curve the boards would scrap. I ruined a new set of Side Burners going around a curve a little to fast. I had never hit any parts that didn't move until that point. And I don't want to do that again...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts