Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
REPLACE IT !!
After having my rear tire let go on the interstate at 70 mph & hitting the pavement at 60-65 mph, don't take the chance ! Not only wrecking my bike but 4 ribs & a coller bone. My girl friend, 9 ribs & a coller bone. It's not worth it !!
Did a failed plug cause your blowout?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Have had a tire repaired with a one piece "patch/plug" and never a problem for the rest of the tires life.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I think I will pug it when it warms up and the snow melts. Thank you all for your input.
When I plug bike tires with rope plugs I always coat the rope with rubber vulcanizing cement.
I don’t bother with the cement with car and light truck tires and haven’t had an issue with them leaking either but on bikes I do use cement. Don’t know if it helps but so far it hasn’t hurt.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
I always use cement. It makes it a bit easier to get the plug into the tire. Especially steel belted and rock hard E3 and E4s.

Reactions: NAB

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I plugged the tire yesterday with the stop and go mushroom plug kit. The directions were not real good on the kit. So I looked it up on YouTube and found a good video on it. The tire had a black sheetrock screw in it and I screwed it right out. The plugging went well and only took about 10-15 minutes. I did it on the floor in the Cantina with the scooter on the side stand. The plug is a lot bigger around than the screw whole. I'll monitor the tire pressure and found nothing else in the tire.

Tire Repair Kits - Cars, Motorcycles, ATV's, RV'S & Mowers (stopngo.com)

Reactions: IndyVictory

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,547 Posts
I've used same kit without any issues on truck tires.
I'm thinking I might switch to the old fashioned rope kit though for the bike.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The hole looked like from about a 1/4" bolt ! The problem was that it came out & went to a rapid deflate !! My son was behind us & said we were litterly going sideways !! The thing is we had just come back from a 3000 mi. trip to Nashville TN 2 weeks before !! We had bought her a $460 Nolan helmet there, junk now but it did it's job !! We have healed but she refuses to get back on that bike ! I rebuilt it, a 1992 Gold wing that I bought new, 158,000 miles on it & the engine has never been apart !! I also ride a '07 Vegas 8Ball.

Was the hole near the center of the tire or more off centered towards the sidewall?

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The plug is holding good, no pressure loss. I may try to ride today if the wind slows down long enough.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I've carried plugs and fix a flat for tube tires on my motorcycle for may years. I have never used it for myself. But have for others. I also have a green slime 12 volt air compressor.

·
Registered
108 Posts

21 - 31 of 31 Posts