Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have a rear wheel bearing catastrophically fail while riding at 65mph? That was tons of fun.:(

Long story made short, I had the dealer change the rear wheel bearings while I was having the bike inspected for registration. I get forty miles away from the dealer and Whammo. Of course its after hours and no one is at the dealer anymore.

Upon calling my insurance company for a tow, Progressive, they decided to try and screw me by telling me that I'm not covered because I'm out of state. When I don;t buy that excuse they try and tell me my policy is expired, it wasn't. Then the special lady decide to see how long I'll stay on hold while she "figures it out". I waited 30 min and gave up.:mad: Called back and everything was handled by the next rep with a bit more haste and honesty.

Now today I get to try and negotiate with the dealer about repairing the issue since it occurred after they performed the maintenance.

Fun times just as spring arrives.cheers

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
That's usually when these things happen, right? Sorry to hear that man. Good luck with the dealer. Sometimes getting service departments to admit fault is pulling teeth.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I wouldn't use Progressive insurance if it was free . Hope you get it worked out . cheers

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I've had wonderful service with progressive. However, after two claims, they stuck it to me so I bailed. Doing Geico now with only collision coverage. $139 a year. If I break it, I'll get another one.

I had a front tire put on a previous bike and while the wheel was off, I asked the place of business to please swap out bearings since it was making noise. He didn't do it. Claimed it was fine. I told him... don't think so. I turned around after a couple of miles and let the guys ride it. It was obvious!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sorry to hear of your "fun" and glad you weren't hurt.

To be fair to Progressive..........

I had my insurance agent set up my policies for 2 bikes through Progressive.

Shortly thereafter I dented the bottom of the split case on my Vulcan 900 which resulted in a very slow oil leak.

Progressive was awesome at handling the $2800 repair, which was trouble free for me as my Agent initiated the claim. The local Progressive claims adjuster guy visited the shop several times to monitor the repair and called or emailed with updates on the ETA to get my bike back out of the shop.

I'm sure Progressive performs poorly more than they'd like to admit, but my experience was stellar and I'll stay with them until they give me a reason not to.

Edit: We have AAA "Premium" tow coverage which covers motorcycles so Progressive's tow service isn't of interest to me

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
My reasons go much , much deeper then their service .....

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Sorry to hear of your "fun" and glad you weren't hurt.

To be fair to Progressive..........

I had my insurance agent set up my policies for 2 bikes through Progressive.

Shortly thereafter I dented the bottom of the split case on my Vulcan 900 which resulted in a very slow oil leak.

Progressive was awesome at handling the $2800 repair, which was trouble free for me as my Agent initiated the claim. The local Progressive claims adjuster guy visited the shop several times to monitor the repair and called or emailed with updates on the ETA to get my bike back out of the shop.

I'm sure Progressive performs poorly more than they'd like to admit, but my experience was stellar and I'll stay with them until they give me a reason not to.

Edit: We have AAA "Premium" tow coverage which covers motorcycles so Progressive's tow service isn't of interest to me
Progressive:
I was extremely impressed with the internet site ease of use, the reps I talked to over the phone, and how quickly I received help from claims adjuster on each of my two claims.

Both incidents were my fault so no surprise the rate went thru the roof. I had to drop them. Hopefully one day I can return to Progressive. I believe that most all of the larger companies will have great service... if not, they will try to fix it if you contact the right people.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This may just be a push to get me to buy a Cross Country...

·
Registered
522 Posts
I wonder if a spacer got left out, like maybe the distance collar in the hub between the bearings. I'd want to be there when it comes apart to see if all the parts are in there. If they drove/pressed the bearings in its possible they drove/pressed on the inner races damaging the bearing.

Tech23

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Bearing Failure .. Want nothing to do with Progressive Insurance .. Had Great Service from Allstate for 30+ Years and close to 1/2 the Rate what other Insurance Companies have quoted me ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts