Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering when should I replace a wheel bearing? I am a large framed guy (6'5" 375) who rides a 06 Hammer that just turned 10k.Since my size alone is like riding two up all the time so I was just wondering from you mechinics out there if there is a golden rule or magic number at which I should look to replace them. I am not having any issue with noise or wobble but I do ride hard and into the triple digits ALOT, so front end wheel problems are something I want to avoid at all costs!!! Thanks with any help you can lend!!!!

·
13,317 Posts
Wheel bearings are cheap. Every time you change a tire you should check your bearings. You stick your fingers in the hole and you movie from side to side and see if it has any rough feel to then. If you feel binding or roughness then change them. If you have a good dealer you go to ask them to check when you get a tire.
Its pretty hard to guess when there going to go bad.
If it makes you feel good do them at say 50 thousand.

·
Premium Member
14,566 Posts
It's rare for wheel bearings to fail and seize. Most the time they start making noise first so you will have plenty of heads-up notice when they do go bad.

Checking them every time the wheel is off the bike for any reason is a good idea too.

One thing that will shorten a wheel bearing's life is a pressure washer. Using them has been known to force water under the seals of the bearing and start a small bit of rust which over a relatively short amount of time gets worse to the point of failure.

I used a pressure washer on my old Shovel all the time and never had a problem. So did other friends back in the day. Maybe the bearings are made differently now or something. I dunno but it is a known issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone know the size? My thinking is that we could get TIMKIN's somewhere, without paying dealer price. Are both front and back the same? (I KNOW.... gotta get fresh seals though) 139079528_10158475889085379_1950805175509762383_o.jpg

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Does anyone know the size? My thinking is that we could get TIMKIN's somewhere, without paying dealer price. Are both front and back the same? (I KNOW.... gotta get fresh seals though) View attachment 253016
Be aware that this thread is nearly ten years old. Don't hold your breath for one of the original participants to give you an answer.

Reactions: oldRoadRunner

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,544 Posts
Yeah it's an old thread for sure. I know they are same size wheel bearings on rear as my VTX used. Replaced mine couple years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
152,000 on mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts