Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd appreciate anyones advise/experience on my new purchase of my first Victory. During my first ride, I heard a evil-sounding crunchy grinding coming from what seemed the rear axle…little tough, considering I'm not used to all the mechanical noises these big V twins make…
Anywho, I wondered if 02's are known for rear axle bearing failure.
Thanks!

·
12,968 Posts
Get the wheel off the ground and try moving wheel side to side or spin it should tell you.
With old bearing and seal go to a bearing store and ask for high speed bearings. You can get bearing way better then OEM. Even try witchdoctor. Some rental or auto store might have tools you can rent

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just did a bearing change on a friends 02TC (rear) and I can tell you it is almost impossible to remove the axle from the rear through the bearings because of rust and you will for sure ruin the bearings knocking the axle out of them. Be sure and clean all the rust off of the axle when you reinstall it and grease the crap out of it. Also the direction the axle comes out is the side of the wheel that has the snap ring in it so the bearing won't come out of the wheel as you're beating on the axle. I used brass drifts as my driving rods to remove the axle and the bearings trying not to damage the axle, I just happened to have bearings to fit his bike on hand as I've done several of these bearing changes over the years.
The bearing on the left side will not be damaged unless you beat on it only the right side needs replacement unless it's a bad bearing and you can tell just by turning it with your finger in the hole but to be on the safe side I recommend changing both. Both bags will have to come off and the muffles too. Takes about 4 hours to complete unless you've done it before. We also changed the tire. Also there are no seals to replace just bearings.
To remove the bearings from the inter-hub, remove the snap ring, flip the wheel over and take a long screwdriver or a long brass rod and push the inter-hub spacer to one side(the inter-hub spacer keeps the bearings from being push in once the axle nut is tightened) to exposed the inter-race of the bearing of the other side(the one with the snap ring)take a long brass rod(drift) and a big hammer and beat the bearing out(don't worry about damaging anything as it's no good anyway), once the bearing starts to move out of the hub, using your brass rod push the inter-spacer to the other side across to exposed the inter-race(180 degs) and beat it out, switch back and forth until the bearing falls out, flip the wheel over and just knock the other side bearing out, the inter-hub spacer is out of the way now and the other side bearing is wide open to be knocked out of the hub. Replace bearings in reverse order. Good luck!

·
Registered
361 Posts
The OEM wheel bearings are decent but like anything they can go at any time-yes there are good/better/best bearings replacements available.
FYI-no need to remove the exhaust- with the bike on a lift simply pull the rear shock top pivot bolt and raise the bike up until the axle will clear the pipes. A blind bearing puller can be had at Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-hole-bearing-puller-95987.html

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Anyone ever use Anti-Seize on the axle rather than grease or does it really matter?
Bbob
I have. Mind you I come from HD's but unless there is a special magnetic vortex that surrounds Vic's the info should still apply.
Anti Seize is much better than grease on an axle and I have never seen an axle stuck that had it applied to it. Just don't get it on the threads because it does effect torque value. If you do get it on the threads go on line and find the torque percentage to subtract. I think it is 15% not sure. so look it up. Anti Seize is the ticket for motorcycle axles especially if you run a dark side tire or don't ride much and your axle isn't removed that often.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, false alarm

Thank you visionjohnny and diamonbird. Seems the left side bearing seal had a tiny dent in it from being put in badly…flat spotting or damaging one of the bearing balls…you could "feel" it when sticking your finger inside the race and turning it carefully. Seems the noise I spoke of, was mainly coming from a severely out of adjustment belt.
My mechanic doesn't think the bearing will be an issue until rear tire change in 2-3,000mi.
My mechanic charges $25hr!! MMI grad with his own 03 Vegas :eek:)

I would appreciate a link or direct URL for the "better" replacement bearings.

·
12,968 Posts
I have used anti-size on all my threads for over 40 years and never had a problem with torque settings. For the axle I even spread it on the allen head smooth part.

A trick I learned a long time ago is if you put a cover on a bolt and it has a small allen set screw cover the screw with anti size. All so when you anti seize on the threads of bolts put a little on the should of the head of the bolt.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
how long they usually last 10.000 mils 20000 ?
You dug up a 4 year old tread just to ask this....lol
I just did a wheel bearing change with just over 57,000 miles on my Cross County. I had two bad bearings out of the four, my feeling is the wheel(and steering head) bearings should be replaced by 50,000 miles(81,000 kilo) if there's no other signs they need to be replaced.
If you scroll down to the 2nd post on this page you can read up on my experience replacing the wheel bearings over the weekend.
https://www.victoryforums.com/34-victory-cross-country-cross-roads/80521-what-did-you-do-your-cross-bike-today-783.html

·
Premium Member
6,014 Posts
I like when people dig up the old threads ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
4,063 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,014 Posts
I'm more of a "let the dead rest-in-piece" type of guy ..... :ltr:
Most of the posters on this thread are alive and well .... And some even kicking ...

Smile

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
You rang??? :)

·
Premium Member
6,014 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
You dug up a 4 year old tread just to ask this....lol
I just did a wheel bearing change with just over 57,000 miles on my Cross County. I had two bad bearings out of the four, my feeling is the wheel(and steering head) bearings should be replaced by 50,000 miles(81,000 kilo) if there's no other signs they need to be replaced.
If you scroll down to the 2nd post on this page you can read up on my experience replacing the wheel bearings over the weekend.
https://www.victoryforums.com/34-victory-cross-country-cross-roads/80521-what-did-you-do-your-cross-bike-today-783.html
I was googling it :grin:grin

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
new owners

this is my first vic + info from the past helped me a lot as it does for others. only dumb question is the one you don't ask!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts